jaynick
lit up
Premium
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Comcast

What's the concensus on distance between modem and router?

I have read that some say they should be as far apart as possible and others say it doesn't matter. My router(wndr3700) and modem(SB6120) are a foot apart. I have had them next to each other also and have not seen any problems either way. So does it really matter?

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
I suspect that it largely depends on the combinations of the makes and models of both devices.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by EG:

I suspect that it largely depends on the combinations of the makes and models of both devices.
Thanks, EG. I guess in my case it's immaterial.

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10
Some modems have better shielding than do others. There are some other variables involved as well that I'm too lazy to write about now..

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
no worries

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to jaynick
modem and router are ok together....emta and router are bad news, keep some space there

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by gar187er:

modem and router are ok together....emta and router are bad news, keep some space there
Thanks gar. Yes the wings did suck!

Wayne99021
Premium
join:2004-12-28
Mead, WA
kudos:1
I don't think it makes much difference with the new stuff out there.
I at one time had a RCA modem and a Netgear router that would do weird stuff too close to each other. I moved them 3 feet apart and the weirdness stopped.
I now have the same setup as wingnut and have them 10 feet apart. That is mainly because I had a couple 14 foot cat 6 patch cords and the location of the power outlet.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Wayne99021:

I don't think it makes much difference with the new stuff out there.
I at one time had a RCA modem and a Netgear router that would do weird stuff too close to each other. I moved them 3 feet apart and the weirdness stopped.
I now have the same setup as wingnut and have them 10 feet apart. That is mainly because I had a couple 14 foot cat 6 patch cords and the location of the power outlet.
I tend to agree with you. I used to have a Linksys modem stacked on a linksys router and never had any problems.
--
jimmy
"all that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing" (Edmund Burke)

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN
reply to jaynick
Doesn't matter. My router sits on my modem.

Jasonfn22

join:2009-11-20
Bethlehem, GA
reply to jaynick
I know it says in the arris manual to separate them because you can go to the arris website if you have one a read it for yourself and mine is a fairly new one. I wish it was a little heavier and I could use it to hold my boat in place while I was crappe fishing because thats about what its worth so I went and got a SB6120 and it works great nor does it say anything about the spacing between the modem and router.Don't ask me what effects it has on the arris if any but I can tell you this the one I have for HSI and gaming I could climb a telephone pole and sit it rt on the power line and it would not make the TM602/G any worse.Sp I think the modem separation is a myth.Kind of like don't vaccum around your flat screen TV's,LCD'S,etc I am not sure about that one either

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Thank you.

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
reply to jaynick
100 meters or less.

jaynick
lit up
Premium
Sterling Heights, MI
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by nerdburg:

100 meters or less.
Hell, my house aint that big.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4
reply to Jasonfn22
said by Jasonfn22:

I know it says in the arris manual to separate them because you can go to the arris website if you have one a read it for yourself and mine is a fairly new one. I wish it was a little heavier and I could use it to hold my boat in place while I was crappe fishing because thats about what its worth so I went and got a SB6120 and it works great nor does it say anything about the spacing between the modem and router.Don't ask me what effects it has on the arris if any but I can tell you this the one I have for HSI and gaming I could climb a telephone pole and sit it rt on the power line and it would not make the TM602/G any worse.Sp I think the modem separation is a myth.Kind of like don't vaccum around your flat screen TV's,LCD'S,etc I am not sure about that one either
not a myth with EMTA's.... they arent sheilded as good as the modems are....not to say the modems have great shielding, but i digress....been to numerous calls of intermittant DT, dropped calls, etc...all with the router right on top of or next to the emta......moved the emta below the desk, behind it, etc, problem stops.....not a myth....

nerdburg
Premium
join:2009-08-20
Schuylkill Haven, PA
I agree with Gar, I've seen it a number of times too.

Quaoar

join:2004-08-11
Fort Collins, CO
reply to jaynick
The main concern is electrical and radio interference between the router and modem.

Frankly, this issue is long, long, ago. For at least six years, my modem and my router are no farther apart than two feet.

Having stated the above, I know that if my former modems were within about three feet of my wired computer or my backup battery, the modem will become apesh@t.

Now, I have my modem, router, and wired computer within a foot of each other and there is no problem. I suspect that manufacturers are installing better shielding inside the units to prevent cross-talk interference.