spc
Search similar:

uniqs
patspub
join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

ALL On Button on Remote Won't Work

Recently picked up a New Remote and now the "All On Red Button" on the remote doesn't turn on my TV and Cable box at the same time I have hit Cable-Power then TV-Power. The changing channels and volume work fine but I never did put the code in for my TV - will this correct the problem?
jjv124
join:2009-11-21
Hanover, PA

jjv124

Yep, if you don't have the tv programmed it wont turn it off or on. Nor will it change the volume of your tv.

snolsen
join:2004-01-10
Bedford, NH

snolsen to patspub

to patspub
said by patspub:

Recently picked up a New Remote and now the "All On Red Button" on the remote doesn't turn on my TV and Cable box at the same time I have hit Cable-Power then TV-Power. The changing channels and volume work fine but I never did put the code in for my TV - will this correct the problem?
You've got to be kidding......

JE
JE 's BACK BABY
Premium Member
join:2000-12-15
Charlotte, NC

JE

Premium Member

@ MY JOB, WE GET ALL KINDS OF ASININE CALL LIKE THIS
!

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to patspub

MVM

to patspub
I don't ever use the all on button!

If you have a DVR, you can't because it leads to inconsistent power states. For example, if something is recording and you hit all on, the TV will power off, but you'll miss a big message asking you if you want to cancel the recording. So the next morning since you didn't answer the question to that dialog box (your TV screen was off anyway), you push All On. Well it sends the power command and turns the TV on, then most likely (if there's not a recording in progress) it turns the DVR OFF. So there you are, confused and staring at a black screen.

So I remapped all of the cable box buttons to the TV on both of my remotes that I have in the living room. This way I can keep the remote on TV mode so it does the TV power and volume, but every other button sends the proper IR command to the Motorola DVR. So you never have to worry about changing modes. It was a huge pain to program every button, but it solved a ton of frustration.

This is the general procedure for remapping. Several common mapping options specific to the Motorola DVR are listed below.

(Option) Press and release the device key to make it the default.
Press and hold the "Setup" button until a device key blinks twice.
Type in the code 994. A device key will blink twice.
(Option) Press and release the device key for the source device.
Press the key to get the code from. This can be:
Another button with an existing code
Press and release "Setup", then type in a 3- or 5-digit code. The code is called an 'Extended Function Code' (EFC). Most of the silver remotes use 5-digit codes. Most others use 3-digits. In most cases, you just add '00' to the front of the 3-digit code to get a 5-digit code (00173 = 173).
(Option) Press and release the device key for the destination device.
(Option) Press and release "Setup" to create a shifted key.
Press and release the button you want to put the code on.
If the remap is successful, a device key will blink twice.
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

And all that's super helpful from Cypher, but you do have to program your tv to the remote first BTW

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream

MVM

said by jjv124:

And all that's super helpful from Cypher, but you do have to program your tv to the remote first BTW
Yup, I take that for granted though, because that's step 1, and I do it without thinking. I have a word doc saved on here for my Samsung TV's EFC codes as well, so I can make the HD Zoom and PIP buttons actually WORK! Imagine that!
jjv124
Hanover, PA

jjv124

Well as we can see it's not always good to take that for granted lol, I'll have to look at those cause I'm going to lose the pip when s25 hits

snolsen
Bedford, NH

1 recommendation

snolsen to patspub

to patspub
One word........... Harmony
patspub
join:2005-02-10
Philadelphia, PA

patspub

I was reading on another post that I might need a Grey remote because were using a PACE RNG 100 HD box with Non HDTV. I'm currently using Silver remote.

gchris2203
join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

gchris2203

said by patspub:

I was reading on another post that I might need a Grey remote because were using a PACE RNG 100 HD box with Non HDTV. I'm currently using Silver remote.
If the remote you have changes channels on the converter than you have the correct remote. You do realize that in order for a universal remote to work properly you do have to program the remote to your paticular TV. With so many brands there is no way to pre program them. After being programmed you will then be able to control volume on the TV rather than the converter aswell as turn the TV on and off
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod to snolsen

to snolsen
If he can't figure out how to enter the code to his comcast remote, what makes you think he could possibly comprehend hooking his remote to a USB and programming.

(But, yes, Harmony Remotes are a gift from god)

kcazzie
One Of Jerry's Kids
Premium Member
join:2000-08-13
Morton Grove, IL

1 edit

kcazzie to patspub

Premium Member

to patspub
Harmony just get one... Even a refurbished one for 50 bucks and I think the 510 model does 4 functions... How I ever watched TV without one is beyond me...

Here's the Logitech site on how they work...

»www.logitech.com/en-us/r ··· ces/4738

Prices at different stores,,, Good Luck...

»www.google.com/products/ ··· Q8wIwAw#

Edit; Actually their main purpose was to have all your TV hardware work off one remote... Remember when you when you had one for the DVR,TV, DVD, Speakers etc. ... They figured out an easy way to put all those remotes on one... and really MADE it easy... You may only need one for you cable or direct TV... But you never know, you get a DVD and you want better sound, now speakers ,,, The Harmony will 95% of the time be able to do it for you...

snolsen
Bedford, NH

snolsen to mariod

to mariod
said by mariod:

If he can't figure out how to enter the code to his comcast remote, what makes you think he could possibly comprehend hooking his remote to a USB and programming.

(But, yes, Harmony Remotes are a gift from god)
Because with Harmony, you don't have to figure out the codes. I'm assuming the OP isn't a complete moron.