share rss forum feed

marigolds
Gainfully employed, finally
Premium,MVM
join:2002-05-13
Saint Louis, MO
kudos:2

Garage Door Brands

We are looking to replace our garage door. It apparently had regular open/close problems for the last owner, and was eventually badly damaged when it came down on the car of the last owner. The damage makes the door bounce up regularly when trying to close.

What brands do people recommend?

We definitely want a white insulated steel door. Probably polyurethane, possibly three layer.
Tax credit eligible would be nice.
The door is 15'x6.5'; yep, definitely smaller than the standard 16'x7' which means we need a brand that can do custom sizes.
We have the only Clopay dealer in the area doing a price estimate today. Who else should we look at?
--
ISCABBS - the oldest and largest BBS on the Internet
telnet://bbs.iscabbs.com
Professional Geographer
Geographic Information Science researcher

dandelion
Premium,MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
I am hoping someone knowledgeable posts also. Thinking most were about the same, I got one a few years ago that has never worked well.. constantly getting stuck moving to the open position and now has a crack in it. I think I will have to get yet another fairly soon.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to marigolds
I have a 16x6.5 Clopay insulated steel door. It was brand-new when we bought the house. I'm happy with it. When I am in the garage with the door closed, it's just as quiet as any other room in the house in terms of outside noise penetration.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Sheridan

join:2008-10-26
Sheridan, MI
reply to marigolds
When we purchased a new door, we went with Wayne Dalton for one it was on sale. It is insulated and has steel on the inside too, which was an upgrade. as far as how the has functioned I am very happy with it. It is very quiet as far as noise penetration and it does hold the heat in the winter, I suppose price will always be a factor in choosing a door but for what it's worth the Wayne Dalton door has proved to be a quality door and is just as good looking as it was when we installed it three years ago. It was purchased at Lowe's and wasa special order door, We bought all new track also for a low clearance set-up. The door took about a week and a half to arrive. I installed it my self so I do not know what the charges would be for that. The installation was fairly simple, instructions were very clear. The door was a torsion spring model. Your options are probably endless in style choices it all depends on what you can affor and what you want. »wayne-dalton.com/index.html
--
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." - Will Rogers "A man who has never gone to school may steal from a freight car; but if he has a university education, he may steal the whole railroad."
- Theodore Roosevelt

eatatjoz
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR
kudos:3

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to marigolds
I switched from selling Clopay doors to Door Link a few years ago.
I can't recommend these doors any higher.
»www.doorlinkmfg.com/3610.htm
Steel backed, insulated to 10.25r and very sturdy. It will qualify you for that .gov credit.

Most doors are fine. Just stay away from the Windsor stuff because they have been using crappy glue for the stiles in the last few years, and Overhead Door stuff is overpriced. Clopay 73's are getting just as bad about the crappy glue, but it's still a decent door. The Clopay 1000 is only a 1/4" insulation and I don't think it qualifies for the tax credit. Ankmar had a really good door, but they had to shut down due to the state of affairs in the building industry. Last I looked Holmes doors were rebranded Clopays, and CHI are kind of flimsy.
--
"I hope you did something important today, 'cause it cost ya another day of your life."

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
We are looking at the Clopay 4300. Looks like the doorlink 3690 would also be exactly what we are looking for.
Any idea on dealers in the st louis area? doorLink does seem to have a dealer list on their page.

eatatjoz
Premium
join:2002-06-16
Mayflower, AR
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to marigolds
I have no real issues with Clopay. There are tons of them around here that are marked with my (recently closed) business name stamped on them. There are plenty of examples of them that were installed around 1982 and are still going strong.
That said, I'm just not sure of their adhesives anymore. I'd opt for the Doorlink.
I'm not familiar with the St. Louis market, but come Monday I can check with my old distributor and find out for you.

I used "come Monday" in a sentence. Now I have to fire up the Buffett CD's
--
"I hope you did something important today, 'cause it cost ya another day of your life."

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to marigolds
Replace the original door with a Copay steel insulated door about 15-20 years ago. the door still looks new. A vote for Copay.

seaquake
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-23
Millersville, MD
reply to marigolds
We had our old wooden garage door replaced with an Overhead door. Nothing fancy, 16x7, non-insulated and no windows. Very sturdy door with heavy gauge metal. Took one guy about 4 hours to take the old one down and hang the new one. I've been happy with it for a half dozen years or so since I bought it.

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to marigolds
We had a Wayne Dalton insulated steel door installed 4 years ago by a local garage door specialty dealer and could not be more happy with it.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
·surpasshosting
reply to marigolds
I've had good luck with Martin Door, but it looks like they only carry Clopay.
There is a Doorlink wholesaler near us:
Lucky Door Wholesalers
4355 Green Ash Drive
Earth City, MO 63045

Phone: 314.298.0009
Fax: 314.298.0019
Email: sales@luckydoorstl.com

I know a good independent installer in St. Charles, but I'll have to make some calls to get his number (my iPhone crapped out & I lost a bunch of contacts.)
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

mph300
Two Thirds The Way There

join:2000-11-09

1 edit
reply to marigolds
I can not speak for current stuff. My previous business had 6 Clopay 10x10 insulated and double sided doors installed in 1994. Today, the doors are still in service and look exceptional for their age and considering that they are in a commercial shop environment.

Don't know if they are still in business or not but Jackson Door Service did the excellent install.

Mike
--
CH3NO2-Fuel me UP-Let's race!

walta

join:2001-05-22
Saint Louis, MO
reply to marigolds
Your description of the problems sounds like minor adjustments. Get an accurate diagnosis.

Walta

Jan Janowski
Premium
join:2000-06-18
Skokie, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to marigolds
We replaced our garage door many years ago... and went with a Clopay.....

When it came time to build a garage at our place in the mountains of NC, we insisted on Clopay....

They are ~10 and 15+ years old now, and look as good as new....

Clopay..... without any reservations!
--
Looking for 1939 Indian Motocycle

marigolds
Premium,MVM
Saint Louis, MO
reply to walta
said by walta:

Your description of the problems sounds like minor adjustments. Get an accurate diagnosis.

Walta
No, the door is visibly damaged, with multiple buckled panels and bent hardware. We just did not think to look for that kind of damaged. We have had two other professionals look at it now besides the original overhead door repairman (who did not get paid for the trip since he did no adjustments).

adamc91115

join:2002-06-17
Wilmington, DE
reply to marigolds
By far the highest quality door brand you can buy is Raynor. Its the only brand of door I will sell to someone. The materials and manufacturing are far superior to anyone else.

Most of their doors have a 1 year guarantee on labor, 3 yr on parts, and lifetime rust guarantee. (As long as its installed by a licensed dealer).