share rss forum feed

RayW
Premium
join:2001-09-01
Layton, UT
kudos:1

1 recommendation

So?

I do not have a cell phone, so it does not affect me. My teenager has one since there are essentially no pay phones any more, but it is off more than it is on. As I try to read the fine print, the paperwork seems to let the phone companies do almost whatever they want to with your cell data, all they have to do is weasel a bit and it is ok.

Can not understand why folks are so enslaved to the phone companies and their overpriced, excessive hidden fees service that they can not just shut it off while in the store or driving down the road.
--
I am not lost, I find myself every time.

JazzJRabbit

join:2003-09-27
Wheaton, IL
said by RayW:

I do not have a cell phone, so it does not affect me. My teenager has one since there are essentially no pay phones any more, but it is off more than it is on. As I try to read the fine print, the paperwork seems to let the phone companies do almost whatever they want to with your cell data, all they have to do is weasel a bit and it is ok.

Can not understand why folks are so enslaved to the phone companies and their overpriced, excessive hidden fees service that they can not just shut it off while in the store or driving down the road.
You know, cell phones are convenient if you actually interact with other people.

If you're so concerned about fine print or costs, which is totally understandable, get a prepaid cell phone. It's not going to be as good as contract phone from a major provider in terms of features or coverage, but it's definitely good enough.

Logan 5
Enjoying the Cataclysm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-05-25
Austin, TX
kudos:7
reply to RayW
said by RayW:

My teenager has one... but it is off more than it is on.

Can not understand why folks are so enslaved to the phone companies.... that they can not just shut it off while in the store or driving down the road.
Maybe you aren't aware but even if the phone is off, you can still be tracked by Law enforcement (at least it's supposedly only them for now anyway....) as long as the battery is in the phone, even if the phone's built in GPS tracker is disabled..

Privacy has been bred out of our countries current quality of life for many reasons from the 'war' on terror to protecting our children and on and on and on....

Happydude32
Premium
join:2005-07-16
reply to RayW
quote:
My teenager has one since there are essentially no pay phones...
A what????

Bubba Rock

join:2010-04-21
reply to JazzJRabbit
said by JazzJRabbit:

You know, cell phones are convenient if you actually interact with other people.
Cell phones aren't the single sole way to interact with other people (but going out in the world today you'd think they were!!)

I interact just fine with other people: face to face out in the world, home phone, Internet.

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT

1 recommendation

reply to JazzJRabbit
said by JazzJRabbit:

If you're so concerned about fine print or costs, which is totally understandable, get a prepaid cell phone. It's not going to be as good as contract phone from a major provider in terms of features or coverage, but it's definitely good enough.
Ummm...hate to tell you this, but did you ever hear of something called talking face to face? You know, where you see the person you are interacting with and can do things like go fishing, hiking, to the movies, or just hang out and watch the world in motion without worrying about your battery dieing?

I think your definition of 'interact' is a lot more limited than mine.
--

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT
reply to Logan 5
said by Logan 5:

Maybe you aren't aware but even if the phone is off, you can still be tracked by Law enforcement (at least it's supposedly only them for now anyway....) as long as the battery is in the phone, even if the phone's built in GPS tracker is disabled..

Privacy has been bred out of our countries current quality of life for many reasons from the 'war' on terror to protecting our children and on and on and on....
Yup, have known cell phone privacy threats for over 15 years now. But the problem is not because of the reasons you mention, it was so that the cell companies could make more money. The government is just using what the cell companies already were doing as part of their business model.
--

RayW
Premium
Layton, UT
reply to Happydude32