Search similar:

uniqs
evo7
join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ

1 edit

evo7

[CDV] Curious about how CDV works.

I am really curious about how CDV works as I recently had gotten this. Now my question is when you are on a call, does the bandwidth that the call requires take right out of your own internet BW? Or is the CDV on another channel that has it's own bandwidth seperate from your internet connection? So if I absolutely completely saturation my pipe will it effect the CDV quality?

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

gar187er

its on a seperate channel essentially....its not like vonage where it uses your internet connection....
evo7
join:2009-01-03
Audubon, NJ

evo7

That's exactly what I was wondering, so theoretically I could saturate my pipe and the quality of CDV wouldn't be affected right?
Zifnab
join:2008-03-30
Pittsburgh, PA

Zifnab

Exactly. Though they share the same bandwidth, the voice packets are given a higher priority across the Comcast network, so it is unaffected by you saturating your connection.

nmbdude
@rr.com

nmbdude to evo7

Anon

to evo7
And, you can achieve the same level of service by using a high quality QoS implementation on a router directly behind your cablemodem - eg using pfSense, and prioritizing your VOIP packets accordingly.

I routinely max out my cablemodem for both uploads and downloads, without any interference to my VOIP.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium Member
join:2008-01-06

beachintech

Premium Member

said by nmbdude :

I routinely max out my cablemodem for both uploads and downloads, without any interference to my VOIP.
Well, technically you don't. As you leave enough headroom for your VoIP connection to function at 100% all the time

gar187er
I DID this for a living
join:2006-06-24
Seattle, WA

1 recommendation

gar187er to nmbdude

to nmbdude
said by nmbdude :

And, you can achieve the same level of service by using a high quality QoS implementation on a router directly behind your cablemodem - eg using pfSense, and prioritizing your VOIP packets accordingly.

wtf are you talking about? the OP is talking about cdv....not tradional voip like vonage...