share rss forum feed

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
kudos:3

Service Electric Cablevision

FYI From Service Electric Cablevision - Birdsboro, PA

In order to continue to bring you the best in entertainment services, we will be
making some modifications and additions to your channel lineup during the week
of June 1st.

The following networks on Classic Cable® will be available in a digital-only format:
Travel, truTV, Bravo, Lifetime, E!, Hallmark, Fit TV, and ABC Family.

For each TV connection in your home where you wish to continue viewing the
above channels, you will need one of the following from Service Electric: a) DTA*;
b) Digital Converter; c) HD Converter; d) HD/DVR Converter; OR a TV with a built-in
digital tuner. If you are not sure if your TV has a built-in digital tuner, please check
your manual or with your TV sets manufacturer.

* Up to 2 (two) DTAs are FREE: please visit »dta.secv.com or call
1.877.955.SECV (7328) to place your order. Additional DTAs after the first two
can be leased for $1.95 per month per DTA or for a one-time LEASE payment
of $49.95 per DTA. All DTAs remain the property of SECV.

The following networks will be added to our High-Definition Tier: MSNBC HD,
Spike HD, Nickelodeon HD, Comedy Central HD, MTV HD, CMT HD, VH1 HD,
Hallmark HD, truTV HD, CNN Headline News HD, and WFMZ HD.

Thank you for choosing Service Electric Cablevision. We truly value your business.
Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to visit our website or
call your local office.

Sincerely,
The Team at Service Electric Cablevision
www.secv.com

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

They recently did something similar here. We're on Service Electric Broadband Cable (Sparta NJ). They took 5 analog channels and added some HD channels.

It looks like they wanted the additional bandwidth for ondemand.

We recently got Spike, Nick, Comedy, MTV, CMT, VH1 as well.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

2 edits
reply to cypherstream

Cypher-
Nice find.

Looks like similar on the Sunbury system:

Following channels will be available in a digital-only format:
Spike, Travel, Univision, BET, and Fit TV.

So, remove 5 analogs, add 10 HD's (Sunbury did not get WFMZ HD).

2-1 QAM allocation.

I was wondering when they were going to finally start some reclaims. The DTA's have been out for quite some time now - and they have a busload of analog channels.

br0adbanddoc

join:2001-12-31
Wilkes Barre, PA

1 recommendation

reply to cypherstream

Regarding the system in Sussex/Warren County NJ, we're working on creating contiguous groups of QAM carriers to increase further bandwidth availability for DOCSIS 3.0.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2

said by br0adbanddoc:

Regarding the system in Sussex/Warren County NJ, we're working on creating contiguous groups of QAM carriers to increase further bandwidth availability for DOCSIS 3.0.
Thanks, xlimitx. That is indeed good news.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

3 edits
reply to cypherstream

Those changes went in as planned. For those who don't want a set top box the channels that went digital are available in ClearQAM. As listed above option D "OR a TV with a built-in digital tuner. If you are not sure if your TV has a built-in digital tuner, please check your manual or with your TV sets manufacturer." If your TV doesn't support a 4 digit subchannel by direct entry, you may have to go to the main channel and arrow up (or down) until you get to the channel. Some TV's may be able to tag channels as favorites. Make sure you do a full rescan if you do not see the channels.

36-5607 Travel
36-5604 truTV
35-5805 Bravo
34-5304 Lifetime
34-5305 E!
116-1203 Hallmark
33-5706 Fit TV
36-5603 ABC Family

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Cypher-
In Sunbury, by my counts - that now makes 60 national HD's along with 5 Premiums - for a total of 65.

Would be nice to see them blow away another 30 analogs and catch up with satellite.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

said by JeepMatt:

Cypher-
In Sunbury, by my counts - that now makes 60 national HD's along with 5 Premiums - for a total of 65.

Would be nice to see them blow away another 30 analogs and catch up with satellite.
I agree. I think that is eventually the plan. Being that they are issuing DTA's for quite a bit now. In fact they issued DTA's PRIOR to our Reading area Comcast issuing DTA's, however as you are aware from the Comcast forum, our Reading area system is fully transformed with 96 HD's and 4QAMs for DOCSIS 3.0 with 105/10 as the top tier.

Service Electric has been giving their customers more time, and is doing more of a gradual transition. The difference is that they have 870 MHz to play with down here, whereas our Comcast system only has 780 MHz (overdriven on 750 MHz gear).

I still didn't see any HD-VOD, and they are also running I-Guide A25, but they have a lot of Pace set tops out down here, which I don't think I-Guide A28 was quite ready for. The Pace tdc-787x is a nice looking piece of equipment in an A/V rack, but that doesn't do any better than a Motorola when running the same crummy software.

I follow what they do because as I'm looking at houses, the vast majority of them are in Service Electric territory. If I do move in the next few months, I may go with Dish Network and their new 922 DVR simply for the Software. However if Service Electric steps up the game and offers equal or better HD channel selections as I get with Comcast now, I may just go all with them for the simplicity of Triple Play discounts and one bill. We'll see how that pans out.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

5 More Analogs to be Removed

Wow - SECV already has another analog crush scheduled for the week of 7/12 - 5 taken to digital, and 10 more HD's!!!

The following networks on Classic Cable® will be available in a digital-only format: Bravo, HLN, CNBC, E!, and Comedy Central.

The following High-Definition networks will be added:
Disney XD HD, ESPNews HD, ESPNU HD, TCM HD, Style HD, G4 HD, EWTN HD, Tennis HD, HSN HD, and SWRV HD (Music Choice HD).

Damn, I didn't even know there was a Music Choice HD!

This will now put them at 75 HD's.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

I put an offer in on a house today and unfortunately it's in Service Electric's territory instead of Comcast.

This is great news, because for simplicity sake I might just go with SECV for a little bit until I can get the Dish Network 922 in there. You need broadband internet before you can even get the 922 installed.

I would go with Dish purely for the software/DVR advantage (better graphics and searching, slingbox, web based programming, storage space etc..), but SECV's offerings would hold me over for a bit.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to JeepMatt

And in the Birdsboro system down here...

»www.secv.com/cdocs/ltr_clu_birds.pdf

In order to continue to bring you the best in entertainment services, we
will be making some modifications and additions to your channel lineup
during the week of July 12th.
The following networks on Classic Cable® will be available in a digital-only
format: Spike TV, SyFy, A&E, History, Discovery, Animal Planet, TLC, HGTV,
Food Network, and AMC.

For each TV connection in your home where you wish to continue viewing
the above channels, you will need one of the following from Service Electric:
a) DTA* b) Digital Converter c) HD Converter d) HD/DVR Converter, OR a
TV with a built-in digital tuner. If you are not sure if your TV has a built-in
digital tuner, please check your manual or with your TV set’s manufacturer.
* Up to 2 (two) DTAs are FREE: please visit »dta.secv.com or call
1.877.955.SECV (7328) to place your order. Additional DTAs after the first
two can be leased for $1.95 per month per DTA or for a one-time LEASE
payment of $49.95 per DTA. All DTAs remain the property of SECV.

The following High-Definition networks will be added: Disney XD HD,
ESPNews HD, ESPNU HD, TCM HD, Style HD, G4 HD, EWTN HD,
Tennis HD, HSN HD, and SWRV HD (Music Choice HD).

Thank you for choosing Service Electric Cablevision. We truly value your
business. Should you have any questions or concerns please feel free to
visit our website or call your local office.

Sincerely,
The Team at Service Electric Cablevision
www.secv.com
Birdsboro 06-10

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Cypher-
Wow, Birdsboro is reclaiming 10 analogs - moving fast!

Seems Sunbury only takes back what they need at a time..
--

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

This next round of adds is confirmed!

75 HD's for SECV.

Wonder if they'll do Round 3 in August?
--

Expand your moderator at work

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

12 More Analogs to be Removed

Wow - and the digital transition continues with SECV!!

12 More analogs moving - and 11 more HD's...looks like that will bring them up to 86.

In addition during the week of October 11, 2010 the following networks on Classic Cable® will be available in a digital-only format:

TLC, Hallmark, Disney XD, Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, ABC Family, Food Network, Cartoon Network, TV Land, CMT, MTV, and VH-1.

Also during the week of October 11th we will continue our addition of High Definition channels.

The following High-Definition networks will be added: Fox Business HD, Discovery Kids HD, Investigative Discovery HD, BIO HD, History International HD, CBS College Sports HD, Crime & Investigation HD, Do It Yourself HD, Cooking Channel HD, C-SPAN HD, and C-SPAN 2 HD.

In addition to the High Definition channels we will be adding C-SPAN 2 and Crime and Investigation
in a digital format.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

C-span in HD?! Wow they think of everything!

I can appreciate DIY HD! COOOL!

Here's the analog migrations for the Birdsboro system:

In addition during the week of October 11, 2010 the following networks on Classic Cable® will be available in a digital-only format: Speed, Outdoor, TV Land, Comedy Central, USA, TBS, TNT, and FX.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Plus-
Moving 12 and only adding 11 HD's pretty much sets them up with the ability to add 13 more at any time.
--

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

Yeah depending on contracts or equipment requirements. But I'm hoping that DOCSIS 3.0 will come soon. Right now they require two modems for triple play - one for voice and one for data. Hopefully they will upgrade that data modem with wideband soon. The upstream could use a push to 64QAM as well.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

Re: Service Electric Cablevision

Click for full size
I'm on SECV now for Internet and Phone because of moving back into the area.

Yes, they have 4 downstream DOCSIS 3.0 channels.

Sadly, the upstream is still 2.56 Msym (3.2 MHz) 16QAM. Hopefully they get around upgrading that to 64QAM and/or do some channel bonding.

Obligitory levels from my SB6120 attached.

I'm on the 10/1 package that comes with the "Access Pack" in the Birdsboro system (Zip code 19606).

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

HD Channel lineup for the Birdsboro system

I think I counted 90 HD channels. That's really great for a small operator!

It's too bad that the I-Guide software sucks so much, and they have a big banner ad at the bottom of the guide. Because of that I have DirecTV. Sadly SECV has DirecTV beat in terms of HD. Just that usability and features like Multiroom and web/phone app programability trump SECV.

I also heard a rumor that one of the Service Electrics *may* end up being for sale. It's the one in Wilkes-barre, and they are hoping that Rosalie gets it, since she runs this system down here really well.

Gib4500

join:2003-12-08
Sardis, OH

geez can they come and buy out our piece of crap cable company at the moment. That is quite impressive for a small company. Wow Docsis 3.0 even.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
Wilmington, DE

Cypher-
Nice - their HD lineup almost makes FIOS look bad.
--

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

said by cypherstream:

I think I counted 90 HD channels. That's really great for a small operator!

It's too bad that the I-Guide software sucks so much, and they have a big banner ad at the bottom of the guide. Because of that I have DirecTV. Sadly SECV has DirecTV beat in terms of HD.
I totally agree, particularly on all the popular HD missing from DirecTV. It's even MORE appalling, considering that DISH DOES have many of them!

Just curious cy, while I agree about the I-guide sucking, did you ever give any thought to getting either a Tivo or Moxi w/cablecards from SECV? If our system had that impressive of HD lineup, I sure would give it serious consideration...

And before you ask - I'm staying w/DirecTV (at least for the time being) due to having NO DVR fees (I'm grandfathered on lifetime DVR) & being grandfathered on Total Choice +, which has exactly the same channels as Choice Xtra, but costs $2.50 less. Both of my HD DVR's were free & they only cost $5/month, compared to $12+ for DISH's equivalent.

SECV SUCKS

@ptd.net
reply to cypherstream

I recently moved into SECV in the Birdsboro area and those guys are a bunch of clowns.

I had to wait TWO weeks for an install , they ( office ) say they are really busy ,but EVERY DAY their vans are all gathered by the WAWA or SHEETZ at 4pm or earlier.

When they finally did come out , he did not replace a single rg59 wire, left all the old fittings that the previously homeowner put on , and when half my channels said one moment please, he said it isn't his job to replace that. Something about being union prevents him from doing the job that is supposed to be done by their techs. But did install an amplifier behind the two TV's . Just pixels now instead of nothing at all.

When I asked if my signal levels were bad, he said that he doesn't know how to use his meter and that they do not train their employees on how to use it.. WTF

So now another week has gone by, Every time I call , I get some IDIOT in their office who keeps telling me I need to reboot my box.

If you call on the weekends you get some answering service who says they will have someone call you and no one ever does.

I was even told that they aren't aloud to give out corporates phone numbers or address , and that ALL complaints must be sent to their office and they will forward them to their corporate offices. Like THAT is really going to happen.

I have Direct TV being installed tomorrow and can finally wash my hands of these idiots.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit
reply to dishrich

I thought about tivo/moxi, but then I have to buy more equipment, and I wouldn't have VOD anyway. Tivo makes you pay a monthly fee anyway, and I'm not really impressed with the slow and incomplete premier. Moxi is really pricey and I'm not sure if I like the "crossbar" UI.

I did a QAM scan today just to see what comes though, even though I have Internet and Phone only. I watched the guy install the trap out at the ped so I know what I would find would be limited. Ch 2 analog barely came in at all, and it was the message board. 2 analog channels up high like 80 and 81 came in (Nat Geo and BET). Then after that a bunch of the basic lineup in clearQAM and OTA HD's. All of the music choice is available too.

To the other guy with the issues, that sucks that you are having a tough time with them. It's actually one of the better run systems, so it could be worse. I see all the vans at Sheetz on my way to work in the morning. I know an installer and he said they meet up there for coffee and then head out. It's pretty much their break spot.

As far as replacing cable, the guy I knew got me the materials to do it, and I fished it myself. I still have about 530 ft left of Commscope RG-6QS in the box.

Oh and today I finally figured out TVersity 1.8 and getting some stuff streamed to the DirecTV HR24 though MediaShare. Pretty cool stuff. Yesterday DirecTV finally fixed TVApps. No more error code 11. They seem to be in HD graphics, so I can't wait until they update the whole guide to be in a higher resolution. I hope there's a CE release on Sat. night (won't be home Friday). If so I'll download it.

TechGeek191

join:2009-06-13
Center Valley, PA

1 edit
reply to cypherstream

I hope that it is okay to post in this section as I live in the Service Electric Lehigh Valley territory.

I recently did read on the PTD website that DOCSIS 3.0 is in the works for being deployed eventually. As in they are following and staying current just like the rest of the cable providers.

However, in my area my CMTS must be really crowded with all the building of new houses because during the *peak* times (as penteledata calls it) my bandwidth drops to the 56K-800Kbps range on a 5Mb tier when everyone else is online. Would anyone think that this would be improved with the deployment of DOCSIS 3.0.

I'm guessing no because that service is only for channel bonded modems and has nothing to do with single channel modems.

In addition, Service Electric does seem to have a vast array of HD channels but that's only when they are working. I've had various techs come out and check signals on both the home and on the trunk amplifier for my neighborhood. By looking at the signal levels on the STB they seem to be within range on the digital SD channels but certain channels on the high def side are below spec.

What often happens which may or may not be attributed to the low signal levels is I will have a couple of HD stations go offline during the late evening hours. Particularly WPIX and one other one. I attributed it to them (SEC) and not the local signal. But just last night I had a whole block of channels give me sound dropouts and tiling due to the low SNR and Sig levels.

I know its not the local signal coming from the amp because everything seems fine. The rest of the SD and HD channels are fine and within spec.

I'd really like to know what causes these HD dropouts and blackouts to occur so often. Isn't anyone manning the ship at the head end?

In regard to the speed decrease during peak hours I'm not holding my breath for a fix as that would require SEC to split up CMTS's to balance the load and that costs money. I'm really disappointed however as Penteledata is supposed to be the most advanced privately owned fiber optic network in the valley.

Kul

@ptd.net
reply to SECV SUCKS

I am surprised to hear about your experience. I am living in Birdsboro area for about 8 years and I have had excellent service from SECV. I recently had an issue with internet and the tech was there in a couple of days. He was very knowledgeable and fixed the issue in about 5 minutes. The splitter I had for about year suddenly started degrading signal and caused the degradation. Tech measured the signals, detected the problem, and replaced the splitter. There was no charge. He was also knowledgeable about DOCSIS 3 and said no need to buy a D3 modem till December as they will take at least that long to roll the service in my area.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA

1 edit

Ok I am wondering when they will release new speed tiers.

My SB6120 modem is running on 4 downstream channels in DOCSIS 3.0 mode, but they only provision it at 10 meg. Upstream is still only 1, 16QAM channel, so theres only so much they can do with that.

I wonder if they will automatically upgrade peoples speeds like they did in the past when it was 1/2/3 meg service tiers ? With the access pack they only offer one speed at this time, but would be welcome to see other ala-carte speed options.

The only thing that worries me is PTD's atrocious caps. What good is DOCSIS 3 class speeds if all you do is reach your cap faster? Comcast has more reasonable 250GB Caps, which I've never hit when I had them. Rumor has it PTD's caps are much lower. Windstream and Verizon DSL is so much slower, so PTD kind of have a monopoly on the high speed. Verizon is rolling out it's 4G LTE product in the Reading area and outlying suburbs, and Sprint has some expanding 4G coverage, as well as Clear. PTD better watch out with the caps, because soon they won't be the only high speed game in town. People on the beta test were getting 12 to 15mbps down on Verizon's LTE service. Like I said my PTD.net service is only 10meg, so were starting to compare apples with apples. It comes down to who has the worse caps.

I got to play around with Verizon Fios this weekend out in Montgomery County, and boy that is slick. I wish the big VZ would build out our way in Exeter township.

cypherstream
Premium,MVM
Reading, PA
reply to cypherstream

New HD Channels the week of Nov 8th

I only subscribe to SECV for Internet and Phone, but I do get a few channels in ClearQAM like the "Basic" service. I use this as a backup for DirecTV. One of the ClearQAM channels is the bulletin board on 81-201 (If I am remembering correctly). I noticed that there was a message that said "Service Electric will be adding new HD Channels Week of November 8"
334 - InDemand Game HD
335 - InDemand Game HD 2
509 - WPPX (ION)
581 - BET
602 - Lifetime Movie
604 - Fox Soccer
606 - Reelz Channel
621 - Sprout
640 - GSN
648 - Ovation
652 - NASA
784 - TBN

WOW, I didn't even know Reelz, Sprout, Ovation, Nasa and TBN had HD channels! They are surpassing Comcast now.

jmoz2989

join:2008-02-01
Moscow, PA

Woah, SECV has certainly gone above and beyond in their offerings for television.