R4M0N
Brazilian Soccer Ownz Joo

join:2000-10-04
Glen Allen, VA

1 edit
reply to RARPSL

Re: Hurt what?

said by RARPSL:

Since this is BitTorrent we are talking about, EVERYONE who is downloading it is also hosting those parts ("pieces") of the file that they have already downloaded. Only once you have finished downloading the full file do you go into full Hosting (AKA Seeding) Mode.
Not entirely accurate... You can download without sharing. At least you could back in the day when I tried it... I haven't used Bit Torrent in a few years now.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL

you are correct you can download without sharing.

k1ll3rdr4g0n

join:2005-03-19
Homer Glen, IL

said by ArrayList:

you are correct you can download without sharing.
It's better to keep that to yourself, the prosecution doesn't know that .

RARPSL

join:1999-12-08
Suffern, NY
reply to R4M0N

said by R4M0N:

said by RARPSL:

Since this is BitTorrent we are talking about, EVERYONE who is downloading it is also hosting those parts ("pieces") of the file that they have already downloaded. Only once you have finished downloading the full file do you go into full Hosting (AKA Seeding) Mode.
Not entirely accurate... You can download without sharing. At least you could back in the day when I tried it... I haven't used Bit Torrent in a few years now.
Unless you use a special hacked BT Client (which does not seed) the only time you are not going to share is when some of the peers you are connected to are Seeds and all the others in the pool either do not connect to you or already have the pieces you have. Under normal situations, you will share the pieces you have with any peer who asks you for them. The protocol is designed to have you share and the fact that you do not actually do so is dependant on what peers you are talking to and what pieces they want/need.

The point I was making is that you host the pieces (or the full file) and if asked you will supply them. The fact that due to the number of Seeds in the pool and the number of leaches (those peers who do not yet have the full file) you are not actually distributing pieces does not alter the fact that you are still hosting them.

jap
Premium
join:2003-08-10
038xx
reply to R4M0N

said by R4M0N:

That trusted legal test brokedown several years ago. A court ruled against defense saying piracy behaviors & techniques had become too widely known and understood. Result is case law exists.

It's mute anyway, IMO. Nobody's going to court without multiple confirmed infringement events over time. At that point courts won't care whether uploading occurred or not. Further, copyright holders hate court: bad PR and usually won't collect anything anyway. It's a no-brainer they run an ability-to-pay assessment the minute a name and phys address is in hand. They want settlements even if it's $20 plus a cease&desist/won't disclose terms statement.