jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
join:2001-02-06
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

jaynick

Premium Member

Most users don't know what their speed is.

»news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld ··· eirspeed

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

...and, the "average" user doesn't care what their speed is, if they can get/send email, check Facebook, shop online and generally surf.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

1 edit

jaynick

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

...and, the "average" user doesn't care what their speed is, if they can get/send email, check Facebook, shop online and generally surf.
That's probably very true. but one would think they would know what speed they are paying for.

buttwipe
Premium Member
join:2004-04-17
Gladstone, OR

buttwipe to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick
they need to go to clear for a while, and then they will become very interested in their speed. I also agree that if it works people generally don't care.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by buttwipe:

they need to go to clear for a while, and then they will become very interested in their speed. I also agree that if it works people generally don't care.
I would certainly check periodically to make sure I am getting what I pay for.

tshirt
Premium Member
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA

1 edit

1 recommendation

tshirt

Premium Member

said by jaynick:

said by buttwipe:

I would certainly check periodically to make sure I am getting what I pay for.
Yes, YOU would. (and so do I) But for many/most end users (non-geeks) they want it "just to work", without having learning anything about HOW it works.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

1 recommendation

Johkal to jaynick

MVM

to jaynick
Out of curiosity, ask people you work with, neighbors, acquaintances, anyone you meet if they know what speed they are paying for.

I've engaged in conversations with people I work with who have Verizon DSL, Windstream DSL or Comcast, trying to troubleshoot issues. I ask a basic question about what tier they have. No one has been able to tell me what speed they have, only how much they pay for their service.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

Yeah, I'm not surprised at all. This is also why there is a snowball's chance in hell of Comcast offering symmetrical or closer-to-symmetrical speeds with upstream channel bonding. There simply aren't enough nerds out there like me to create enough of a demand! haha

EG
The wings of love
Premium Member
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ

EG

Premium Member

said by pflog:

There simply aren't enough nerds out there like me us to create enough of a demand! haha

tjbmmb
join:2009-04-13
Fort Wayne, IN

tjbmmb

But then you get the customers, like the one I have been dealing with for that last month. He has the 50/10 Blast and calls in a trouble call every time a speed test shows hes getting below 50. I am not talking about low numbers too, the lowest screen shot he showed me was 46 down/9 up. This is all off a router where he runs a wow server off his desktop and 3 more laptops. He is convinced that the router and other computers running online have nothing too do with his internet speed.

guyver01
In Brightest Day
join:2001-01-04
Littleton, CO

guyver01 to jaynick

to jaynick
said by jaynick:

said by Johkal:

That's probably very true. but one would think they would know what speed they are paying for.
most probably dont care what speed they're paying for... as long as they can get online, and do what they need to do without interruption... how it works, and why it works is no concern. on that it does.

Pulitzer
Premium Member
join:2010-05-15

1 edit

Pulitzer to jaynick

Premium Member

to jaynick
Most users don't know their speed or quality of their connection. However, for the majority of those that do want to know they turn to things such a speed tests at various web sites. Unfortunately the speeds recorded by the speed tests are commonly inaccurate or flawed and there is so much else that is part of one's connection that represents the true functional speed it's ridiculous.

perki
join:2008-12-01
Santa Maria, CA

perki to jaynick

to jaynick
gamers know

bytor2
Premium Member
join:2007-03-06
Oak Harbor, WA

bytor2

Premium Member

said by perki:

gamers know
i agree lag sucks

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick to perki

Premium Member

to perki
said by perki:

gamers know
I am sure gamers are right on top of things with their connection.

Pulitzer
Premium Member

Pulitzer

Premium Member

said by jaynick:

I'll take your word for it. It certainly makes sense. Given the preceding as fact I can ala Sherlock Holmes deduce that Champion Broadband, my local/regional ISP does not have any subscribers who are gamers. If they did there would have been a mass murder at their office by now or their building destroyed by bomb or arson.

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

said by Pulitzer:
said by jaynick:

I'll take your word for it. It certainly makes sense. Given the preceding as fact I can ala Sherlock Holmes deduce that Champion Broadband, my local/regional ISP does not have any subscribers who are gamers. If they did there would have been a mass murder at their office by now or their building destroyed by bomb or arson.
That bad huh?

Pulitzer
Premium Member

Pulitzer

Premium Member

If sometime in the immediate future I am diagnosed with a terminal disease the folks there will be in real trouble.

I am looking to switch now. A real pain. They were outstanding for eight years which was when they started up and built from the ground up a new system or network. State of the art then.

The funny thing is, in the spirit of the topic of this thread, is that it is only because I use a variety of testing measures and testing software on a regular measure that I know how actually bad the connection is. As you know just a flat speed rating from some website's speed tester like Speakeasy, Speedtest.net, DSLR and so on isn't all there is to a good connection. The way they measure your speed is to send a representative out in the middle of the work day, (when no one is online), use Speedtest.net which would show I'm getting maximum speed at non-peak hours if the ethernet cable was unplugged!

Anyway, I am just concurring that other then gamers most users haven't a fracking clue how their connection is performing.

I hit them with latency, speed spikes, forced idle, capacity and application speed, time variation, etc. (They now just ignore me.)

jaynick
lit up
Premium Member
Sterling Heights, MI

jaynick

Premium Member

I would surely switch too, if I was in your shoes. Any other good choices where you are?

Pulitzer
Premium Member

Pulitzer

Premium Member

The telco is Verizon and there is one other cable option, Time-Warner.

As of now I am seriously considering DSL Extreme as I don't want to deal with Verizon directly. They are a funny company. Most of their companies or divisions of Verizon can be consistently very difficult to work with, but overall Verizon wireless offers great customer service and network performance for cellular.

I have one problem, the outside telephone line wiring is damaged at one spot so I am going to have to find out what hassle or cost it will be to fix that. Complicating the problem or cost is I don't have a land line telephone--just the wiring for one. Haven't had one for five years. Switched to totally cellular back then.

When I had Verizon DSL in 2001 it worked flawlessly. And since I am not a gamer a quality 3 MB down speed should be more than adequate for me. It would be $30 month to month or $25 on contract.