robry
Premium Member
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

robry to Cornplanter

Premium Member

to Cornplanter

Re: Atlantic Broadband Support Options

I agree, I don't get disconnects, just awful level of service, it's garbage. I made them switch me back to 5mbit because the only time I ever see anything over 5mbit is at 7am or late at night, peak time this garbage runs at 2-3mbit.

go ahead netlarry and look at my account, they closed my network ticket with some BS excuse about how they don't have a date for their 'network' upgrade yet. I hate this pathetic company, and unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of other options here.
abbTim
join:2010-05-27
Altoona, PA

abbTim

My name is Tim and I am a technician in the Tech Support department and would like to help you with the speed issues you are having. If you don't mind, please go to speedtest.atlanticbb.net and click on the Pennsylvania tab and click begin. After this please respond back here with the speed you were getting and the time you did the test. I will do my best to help you resolve the slow speeds that you are getting.

dliw
Premium Member
join:2003-03-09
Elsewhere

dliw

Premium Member

A better, and IMHO less biased, test would be at »www.speedtest.net/ Plus, running a Line Quality Test here at BBR might give you some backbone info. Here in Central PA we rarely have any internet issues.
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim to robry

to robry
reply to robry

My name is Tim and I am a technician in the Tech Support department and would like to help you with the speed issues you are having. If you don't mind, please go to speedtest.atlanticbb.net and click on the Pennsylvania tab and click begin. After this please respond back here with the speed you were getting and the time you did the test. I will do my best to help you resolve the slow speeds that you are getting.
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

Tim,

Thanks for the reply.

Apparently someone in Johnstown at the Supervisor level must have received my FCC/BBB complaints, so now my ticket is reopened and schedule maintenance windows for tonight, tomorrow and Thursday mornings are now in place. I have a feeling this may or may not resolve everything but its worth a shot at waiting til Friday evening to do some more speed testing. I understand you guys can't guarantee me 8mbit every second of the day, but having a premium tier running SLOWER than your middle tier is ridiculous.

I have speedtest'ed through you guys site plenty of times. Oh and I was wrong, apparently I was kept on 8mbit but given the introductory rate, that's fine, but the problem was still on-going. I have removed my router and directly connected 2 different systems straight to the modem. I've seen as low as 800kbit download in the evenings at peak usage all the way to 7600kbit in the early mornings.

My current test is this:
Last Result:
Download Speed: 6275 kbps (784.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 431 kbps (53.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 7:40:34 AM

I'll update it again this afternoon/evening with another test.

Oh and just to let you know, I experienced the 8-900kbit speed issues last Thursday night I do believe.

Here is the signal information from my modem:
Favorite Downstream Frequency: Hz
Frequency: 681000000 Hz
QAM Mode: 256 QAM
Channel Power: -5.2 dBmV
SNR: 34.283 dB

Channel Id: 3
Frequency: 31008000 Hz
Channel Width: 3200000 Hz
Channel Power: 48.1 dBmV

Modem is a Dlink DCM-202

If you need my information to look at my account, let me know.
robry

robry

Premium Member

here's my update for the evening at 930PM EST

as you can see this is extremely overloaded:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2964 kbps (370.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 480 kbps (60 KB/sec transfer rate)
Tuesday, June 08, 2010 9:30:00 PM

Frequency: 681000000 Hz
QAM Mode: 256 QAM
Channel Power: -5.0 dBmV
SNR: 34.401 dB

Channel Id: 3
Frequency: 31008000 Hz
Channel Width: 3200000 Hz
Channel Power: 49.1 dBmV
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim

reply to robry

I have asked for an update on you ticket. As soon as I get an answer as to when the repair for your area may happen I will let you know.
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry to dliw

Premium Member

to dliw
I've ran the speedtest.net as well, it just gets worse on their site.

it seems to be something on their network that's overloaded, my guess is they're still using docsis 1.1, so between that, voip and digital cable, they really need to make changes to network to try and free up some bandwidth.

it seems to me like the CMTS is overloaded, although the other day when I was running at 900kbit~, I asked a friend across town to run their speedtest, on his 5mbit tier, and it appears he was getting almost 5mbit.

We have a partitioned DS3 at work @ 25mbit up/down. I can run their speedtest and max out the line at work, both directions, tells me there isn't an issue with bandwidth from their end.
robry

robry

Premium Member

after a 3 hour outage last night (not sure what that was all about) my speeds seem much more in-line with what I should be getting.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6849 kbps (856.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 449 kbps (56.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
Friday, June 11, 2010 11:10:59 AM

I tested a few times last night during peak usage after my service came back on and was getting similar speeds.

for what its worth here is my test from speedtest.net

»www.speedtest.net/result ··· 0283.png
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim

For the next couple of days keep checking your speeds and let me know of the results. They are doing another maintenance in your area before the end of June to resolve your issue. The engineers did not have a specific date, but said it would be by the end of June. Keep me posted on your speed tests and during that time I will keep watching the help desk ticket we have in for you. If there is anything else I can help you with please let me know.
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

Tim,

it's been fairly stable, sometimes I'll get as low as 3.7Mbit and as high as 7.6Mbit. I've been averaging 6.6-7.3Mbit though, overall a good improvement, I suppose when the rest of the work is done and nodes are recombined it should help more. Any insight you can give on what was upgraded/done would be great.
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim

robry,

Please do a couple of speedtests at your earliest convenience. Also if you are using a router, please bypass that also. The node has been split, we just need some verification that the speeds are alright on your end. Let me know after you have done these.

Thanks
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

Tim,

here is my latest tonight.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4874 kbps (609.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 480 kbps (60 KB/sec transfer rate)
Sunday, June 20, 2010 10:52:54 PM

Ryan
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim

robry,

Was this done with or without a router? If you don't mind can you do about 4 speedtests and let me know once these are complete.

Thank you
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

With a router but all other traffic disabled. I'll connect my desktop system directly to the modem tomorrow morning and run 4 test spaced out during the day, 1 morning, 1 afternoon, 1 around 5pm and 1 at 9-10pm.
robry

robry to abbTim

Premium Member

to abbTim
Was downloading some windows updates for a PC I'm repairing and noticed it was going considering slower than 7~mbit.

immediately canceled windows updates and tested with speedcheck.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3989 kbps (498.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 468 kbps (58.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Sunday, June 27, 2010 10:51:28 PM

All other traffic on my local network is disabled from the Internet. For further proof, I'll plug my desktop in directly tomorrow morning and test all day.

I've always had slowness Sunday nights for some reason, not sure why. The speeds have improved, but to say its completely fixed would be a lie. I appreciate your guys help, I dunno why or what, but it appears the node I'm on is still pretty populated. Last thing I could think it could be is my modem. If that's a possibility, I'm going to go by a Motorola.
robry

robry to abbTim

Premium Member

to abbTim
Here is my test done at 9:30PM tonight, with the modem connected directly to my PC. I'll do a few more before hook the router back up tonight.

Last Result:
Download Speed: 6615 kbps (826.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 493 kbps (61.6 KB/sec transfer rate)
Monday, June 28, 2010 9:27:08 PM
robry

robry

Premium Member

Another test, still directly connected, you can see what I mean:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 4899 kbps (612.4 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 487 kbps (60.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Monday, June 28, 2010 9:59:24 PM
abbTim
Altoona, PA

abbTim

to robry

I see your test from yesterday 7/8/2010 looks very good. If you don't mind can you do at least 3 more tests so I can update your ticket and verify your speed issues.
robry
Premium Member
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

Tim,

I will speed test tomorrow a few times throughout the day and contact you and lisa via PM when I do. I just ran a test now, but I have my router connected, only saw mid 5mbit speeds. I did also switch the modem from a dlink to a motorola surfboard 6120. I'll be in touch tomorrow.

Ryan