share rss forum feed

amarryat
Verizon FiOS

join:2005-05-02
Marshfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

iPhone users watch out!

They claim 2GB is enough for 98% of their users. But don't iPhone users consume more than anyone else? I have an Android phone, don't use much data (actively), and use wifi most of the time for the data that I do use - and halfway thru my cycle, I have used over 225mb of data.

Yikes you guys are going to get screwed.

Morac
Cat god

join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by amarryat:

They claim 2GB is enough for 98% of their users. But don't iPhone users consume more than anyone else? I have an Android phone, don't use much data (actively), and use wifi most of the time for the data that I do use - and halfway thru my cycle, I have used over 225mb of data.
I have never gone over 1 GB on my iPhone and that's including occasional use of video streaming (YouTube, Sling app, etc). Most apps don't generate a lot of traffic.

People who are going to get killed by this are heavy video 3G streamers.
--

The Comcast Disney Avatar has been retired.

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to amarryat
ATT is turning into comcast.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
said by Alcohol:

Oh give me a break! ...save it!

AT&T, in case you don't remember, has been pulling stunts like this since the beginning of time. To this day, I don't remember "the break up of Comcast".... I don't ever remember Comcast having to be regulated on everything they did... AT&T has been screwing customers for many years... the only reason ANYONE would say what you just did is that recently TV became the "popular thing" and they paid attention to cable.. crappy and oppressive phone company policies were able to slip out like a thief in the night, lay a little fiber here and there and now they're "an a-ok company" ....

If phone, ala AT&T, was soo good and Comcast was sooo bad... I don't think I can EVER remember the last time I got a cable bill for $335.00 for using the primary product. The only people that have high 100+ and even $150+ cable bills are those that have *3* service (phone, cable, internet) combined AND a lot of the premiums. My $200/$300+ phone bills were for calling 8 miles away from my central office.

No.. I'm sorry... it can or may be said that COMCAST turned into, or IS turning into, AT&T, but certainly not the other way around. Remember who has been around longer anyway.

Bitch, moan, get pissy about things.. perfectly fine, but at least be honest about it.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

1 recommendation

said by fiberguy:

said by Alcohol:

Oh give me a break! ...save it!

AT&T, in case you don't remember, has been pulling stunts like this since the beginning of time. To this day, I don't remember "the break up of Comcast".... I don't ever remember Comcast having to be regulated on everything they did... AT&T has been screwing customers for many years... the only reason ANYONE would say what you just did is that recently TV became the "popular thing" and they paid attention to cable.. crappy and oppressive phone company policies were able to slip out like a thief in the night, lay a little fiber here and there and now they're "an a-ok company" ....

If phone, ala AT&T, was soo good and Comcast was sooo bad... I don't think I can EVER remember the last time I got a cable bill for $335.00 for using the primary product. The only people that have high 100+ and even $150+ cable bills are those that have *3* service (phone, cable, internet) combined AND a lot of the premiums. My $200/$300+ phone bills were for calling 8 miles away from my central office.

No.. I'm sorry... it can or may be said that COMCAST turned into, or IS turning into, AT&T, but certainly not the other way around. Remember who has been around longer anyway.

Bitch, moan, get pissy about things.. perfectly fine, but at least be honest about it.
Comcast was first in saying "99% of our customers don't use this so we're going to put a cap on the 1%". Referring to their 250GB monthly cap.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
Um, it was first AT&T that was bitching (Ed W.) that the internet wasn't "fair" and that google and ebay were using his pipes.. there was ranting from AT&T FIRST about caps a few years ago.

Comcast instituted a firm cap when a few happy go lucky rebels decided they wanted to pick a fight with comcast and tell them "just define your caps!!!" ... like I said back then.. "be careful what you ask for becuase you'll get it"... These people wanted to take the word "unlimited" to the extreme.. so unlimited went away and soft caps were in place. The TOS/AUP said "typical residential usage" which easily means "what the average residential user consumes".. I don't think the average use was consuming terabytes of data every month were they?

And while you're right, Comcast was the first major cable company to put a cap on their cable service, however, they weren't the "first" in the conversation, it was the small group of people that pushed the envelope while wearing that "But I'm innocent" smile while running serving as many torrents as they could... (Or was that the "I just download linux distros a million times because I'm too lazy/stupid to burn it to a CD" crowd, excuse) just remember that. But, when they did announce a cap, at least it was 5GB like other companies felt were right, oh, like TWC, Frontier, and.. who was that trialing it in Reno? That's right.. AT&T. And, maybe I'm actually wrong on this, but I could have swore they felt 2GB was more appropriate for DSL.. correct me if I'm wrong.

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by fiberguy:

Um, it was first AT&T that was bitching (Ed W.) that the internet wasn't "fair" and that google and ebay were using his pipes.. there was ranting from AT&T FIRST about caps a few years ago.

Comcast instituted a firm cap when a few happy go lucky rebels decided they wanted to pick a fight with comcast and tell them "just define your caps!!!" ... like I said back then.. "be careful what you ask for becuase you'll get it"... These people wanted to take the word "unlimited" to the extreme.. so unlimited went away and soft caps were in place. The TOS/AUP said "typical residential usage" which easily means "what the average residential user consumes".. I don't think the average use was consuming terabytes of data every month were they?

And while you're right, Comcast was the first major cable company to put a cap on their cable service, however, they weren't the "first" in the conversation, it was the small group of people that pushed the envelope while wearing that "But I'm innocent" smile while running serving as many torrents as they could... (Or was that the "I just download linux distros a million times because I'm too lazy/stupid to burn it to a CD" crowd, excuse) just remember that. But, when they did announce a cap, at least it was 5GB like other companies felt were right, oh, like TWC, Frontier, and.. who was that trialing it in Reno? That's right.. AT&T. And, maybe I'm actually wrong on this, but I could have swore they felt 2GB was more appropriate for DSL.. correct me if I'm wrong.
Correct. And ATT probably wants to follow the same path since we all know their unlimited data plans were actually capped at 5GB. They don't want the same lawsuits so they had to switch to a clear definition of their data plans.
--

ihaddsl

join:2001-12-05
/dev/hda0
reply to amarryat
said by amarryat:

Yikes you guys are going to get screwed.
Actually I'll save money on this plan, so I'm actually happy about it. my plan history shows about 100mb/month, since most of the time on on Wifi. When I'm not, I'm a heavy user, but still my data usage just doesn't justify the higher prices I'm paying now

patcat88

join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY
kudos:1
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

And while you're right, Comcast was the first major cable company to put a cap on their cable service, however, they weren't the "first" in the conversation, it was the small group of people that pushed the envelope while wearing that "But I'm innocent" smile while running serving as many torrents as they could... (Or was that the "I just download linux distros a million times because I'm too lazy/stupid to burn it to a CD" crowd, excuse)
Downloading linux distros 24/7 is just a euphemism for p2p piracy/running a seedbox for a private tracker at home.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Correct. And ATT probably wants to follow the same path since we all know their unlimited data plans were actually capped at 5GB. They don't want the same lawsuits so they had to switch to a clear definition of their data plans.
Just because you lie over and over again doesn't make it true.

AT&T's plans called "Unlimited" are actually unlimited. If it has a 5GB limit, the plan has "5GB" in its name.

In particular, the Smartphone unlimited and iPhone unlimited $30/month plans are actually unlimited. (These are the plans that won't be available to new customers after June 7.)

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI

2 edits
said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by Alcohol:

AT&T's plans called "Unlimited" are actually unlimited. If it has a 5GB limit, the plan has "5GB" in its name.

In particular, the Smartphone unlimited and iPhone unlimited $30/month plans are actually unlimited. (These are the plans that won't be available to new customers after June 7.)
Wrong wrong wrong.

This was their TOS. "The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month. If you require more than 5 gigabytes per month, ask us about our DataConnect 5GB Overage plan."

»mobile.engadget.com/2008/01/10/a···limited/

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MyDogHsFleas
said by MyDogHsFleas:

True. Nowhere in the contract text for iPhone plan did it specify a 5 GB cap. On the other hand, on the data card and tethering plans it clearly stated 5 GB right upfront, you didn't even have to look at the fine print.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

Alcohol
Premium
Climax, MI
said by Pirate515:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

True. Nowhere in the contract text for iPhone plan did it specify a 5 GB cap. On the other hand, on the data card and tethering plans it clearly stated 5 GB right upfront, you didn't even have to look at the fine print.
»www.intomobile.com/2008/01/11/at···nth.html

You won't be billed for going over, but if you keep going over every month they might contact you.
--

Turbocpe
Premium
join:2001-12-22
IA

1 edit
reply to fiberguy
said by fiberguy:

AT&T, in case you don't remember, has been pulling stunts like this since the beginning of time. To this day, I don't remember "the break up of Comcast".... I don't ever remember Comcast having to be regulated on everything they did.
I suppose the fact that one has been around significantly longer than the other doesn't have any weight or relevance on what one has, and has not, done when you're trying to compare the two?

Let's be honest, Comcast (and just about ANY business - but since Comcast was specifically mentioned) has done some shady things and/or gotten some form of "regulated". I still remember Comcast being guilty of staffing a public hearing with people they sought after to try and "skew" results. Sorry, but that's pretty sleazy. Yes, I know AT&T is guilty of many things as well. I'm not an AT&T (phone) or Comcast (Cable) fan. I think both are just like Republicans and Democrats.

Just because one has a bias towards the other, let's not let that get in the way of some facts.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

said by MyDogHsFleas:

said by Alcohol:

Wrong wrong wrong.

This was their TOS. "The parties agree that AT&T has the right to limit throughput or amount of data transferred and/or deny, disconnect, modify and/or terminate Service if you use more than 5 gigabytes in a month. If you require more than 5 gigabytes per month, ask us about our DataConnect 5GB Overage plan."

»mobile.engadget.com/2008/01/10/a···limited/
That is the DataConnect plan TOS for laptop data cards. DataConnect plans are now all 5GB plans. This TOS covers grandfathered unlimited DataConnect plans from long ago. This has nothing to do with Smartphone plans which is what this particular discussion is about.

The iPhone unlimited plan and the Smartphone unlimited plan are, actually, unlimited. There is no TOS phrasing like this.

I know it's a subtle point but it's important to distinguish PC data plans from smartphone plans. Two different animals.

The thing that has just happened, which IS significant, is that AT&T is (for new plans) now introducing tiered data pricing on smartphone plans. No more "unlimited".

However, I would really not call it a "cap". The overage price is not confiscatory, and it's not a hard cap. It's really tiered consumption-based pricing, which is a new thing for AT&T.

Take a look at my "pricing" thread and you'll see a breakdown of cost vs. usage under the old and new plans. It's actually not bad at all.

Pirate515
Premium
join:2001-01-22
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Morac
said by Morac:

I have never gone over 1 GB on my iPhone and that's including occasional use of video streaming (YouTube, Sling app, etc). Most apps don't generate a lot of traffic.

People who are going to get killed by this are heavy video 3G streamers.
You must be video streaming more occasionally than me. For the past 3 months, I have been Slinging via 3G around twice a week for 2 hours each, which yields around 200 MB per month. That's also coupled with push mail (around 50 messages a day), YouTube and some apps with Push Notifications.

Funny thing is that I have downloaded a grand total of 2.6 GB (according to iPhone stats) since I've had the original iPhone, then upgraded to 3G when it came out and then 3GS.
--
Ask me no questions, and I'll tell you no lies...
A MESSAGE to the RIAA and the MPAA: You shouldn't wound what you can't kill...

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
reply to Alcohol
You're citing a blog? ...someone's hearsay? Really?

oi....

"I heard from my cousin, who's got a friend that works down at the Jiffy Wash, who said they over heard a conversation from two people on the busssss... who were talking about a guy they knew who said AT&T "may" start limiting their iPhone data plans to 5GB"... "really? OH KNOW!!!" Blog.

Um.. you were pointed to the AT&T TOS, you pointed back to some random article written by some random person.

Okay.. you win.