spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fiosuserny

@verizon.net

This is good news to me!

I figure there will be plenty of outcry against this change on the BBR forums but for me the change is good news.

My wife is addicted to her iPhone so I've been stuck with paying $30/mo for data plus more for texting. I just reviewed our last 12 bills. My better half's highest monthly data usage was 114 MB. Many months she was under half that much.

The DataPlus plan will yield a definite cost savings for us. And the fact is that I've resisted having a data plan myself because the cost exceeded my threshold of pain. With the new data plan my wife and I can both have data enough for casual use for the same price we've been paying just to feed her iPhone.

So for you high use junkies...yeah, this won't work. But I'm betting for a lot of at&t subscribers it will be an improvement.

MyDogHsFleas
Premium
join:2007-08-15
Austin, TX
kudos:5
Same here. My wife and daughter are both heavy iPhone users, email/web browsing/facebook mostly. The highest data usage I've ever seen is just slightly over 200MB/month. This is going to save me money.

I think only those who do lots of streaming video on the iPhone are going to be hurt by this.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
join:2005-03-14
Putnam, CT
kudos:4
For me since 5/25 I have consumed 347 MB. I have a 45 minute drive to work and stream XM Radio to the iPhone as the signal in the car stinks.

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
said by ptrowski:

For me since 5/25 I have consumed 347 MB. I have a 45 minute drive to work and stream XM Radio to the iPhone as the signal in the car stinks.
Then stop steaming XM on the iPhone, and put a receiver in your car and spend less doing it that way. I can't really comment too much since you don't really state what it is you have for an XM account already, but if it's a second receiver, I'd say $7 or less is cheaper than trying to use data to do it.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by fiberguy:

said by ptrowski:

Then stop steaming XM on the iPhone, and put a receiver in your car and spend less doing it that way. I can't really comment too much since you don't really state what it is you have for an XM account already, but if it's a second receiver, I'd say $7 or less is cheaper than trying to use data to do it.
It's the receiver that came with the vehicle. It was fine up until about a year ago when it seems they lowered the signal strengths as I get quite a few audio dropouts. So I already pay for the XM subscription.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

Have you been touched by his noodly appendage? »www.venganza.org

fiberguy
My views are my own.
Premium
join:2005-05-20
kudos:3
Personally, I dropped XM all together when the whole XM/Sirius merger happened, you know, in the name of "making it better for the consumer" when all they did was jack my prices.. and yea, the service became crap for many reasons. HONESTLY, if they offered it for free, I'd not even use it, but that's me. I found it to be a hundred+ channels for me to have to surf through all the time as it just became repetitive. For "music lovers" I find it odd that they'd have an iPhone to steam XM when the very device has an MP3 player built in.. I DID enjoy the talk stations on long trips, but for me, that was about it. just my 2-cents.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by fiberguy:

Personally, I dropped XM all together when the whole XM/Sirius merger happened, you know, in the name of "making it better for the consumer" when all they did was jack my prices.. and yea, the service became crap for many reasons. HONESTLY, if they offered it for free, I'd not even use it, but that's me. I found it to be a hundred+ channels for me to have to surf through all the time as it just became repetitive. For "music lovers" I find it odd that they'd have an iPhone to steam XM when the very device has an MP3 player built in.. I DID enjoy the talk stations on long trips, but for me, that was about it. just my 2-cents.
Where I am there are not many decent radio stations so I love the service, but reception took a nose dive after a certain point. In my office I can't get a signal for a portable XM radio so I would stream to the iPhone, but should I renew that may go out the window.

Bottom line is I like the iPhone as I could use it however I want. But this is just a BS move from AT&T for many people.
--
"So, Lone Starr, now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb."

ihaddsl

join:2001-12-05
/dev/hda0
reply to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

then keep the current plan - you won't be forced to switch

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium
Putnam, CT
said by ihaddsl:

said by ptrowski:

then keep the current plan - you won't be forced to switch
Good to know. I just hope when renewal time comes up they won't force that either as my wife's line is in Sept and mine is in January.
--