fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

fiberguy2 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd

Re: Only people really affected are video streamers

Um, okay... why would you want to stream internet radio in your car? Why spend so much money on a smart phone, data plans, etc, when that very smart phone has an MP3 player... why not just do like everyone else does these days? ... go steal the music, put it on your phone or MP3 player and be your own radio station. Requires NO data plan, NO worries about 3G/4G coverage and all the other hassles.

Jim Kirk
Premium Member
join:2005-12-09

Jim Kirk

Premium Member

said by fiberguy2:

Um, okay... why would you want to stream internet radio in your car? Why spend so much money on a smart phone, data plans, etc, when that very smart phone has an MP3 player... why not just do like everyone else does these days? ... go steal the music, put it on your phone or MP3 player and be your own radio station. Requires NO data plan, NO worries about 3G/4G coverage and all the other hassles.
So you're suggesting he "steal" music instead of accessing it legally?
fiberguy2
My views are my own.
Premium Member
join:2005-05-20

1 edit

fiberguy2

Premium Member

lol - right... ANYONE that knows or attacks me around here regularly knows that I don't back music thieves... however, the "music is free" crowd suggests that enough already. I was just pulling that line for once being tongue-in-cheek about it.

However, in the SPIRIT of it being about cost savings, my point stands... DOWNLOAD music and play it that way.

edit: sorry, I forgot MY ---->

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

1 edit

jmn1207 to fiberguy2

Premium Member

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Um, okay... why would you want to stream internet radio in your car?...
This is a matter of music listening preferences combined with convenience, and people like myself are clearly in the minority. I prefer a music service, such as Zune or Rhapsody, to that of an iTunes-like business model. Downloading my favorites songs to a device and listening to them in a car is similar to browsing through a bunch of old photographs that I took. It's enjoyable, but limiting. I liken radio listening, at least with services such as Pandora and Slacker, to that of capturing new pictures of things yet undiscovered. Some are keepers, while others are throwaways.

While I have a music library collection of more songs than I could possibly listen to in a month of constant play, I still spend more than half of my time exploring for new music. Satellite radio offers a great experience with regards to music discovery and randomness that some of us crave. If somebody already has a need for a phone with a data plan, it could save them money by dropping the monthly satellite radio bill and using an alternate 3G streaming radio instead.
WernerSchutz
join:2009-08-04
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Because there are good internet radio stations that have real european music and not only the shit that passes for music here on the radio that certain people probably like.

You may read up also that illegal downloading falls under copyright infringement and not theft and also read up on extortion and blackmailing.
patcat88
join:2002-04-05
Jamaica, NY

patcat88 to fiberguy2

to fiberguy2
said by fiberguy2:

Selecting songs is too hard and too much time.

Morac
Cat god
join:2001-08-30
Riverside, NJ

Morac

said by patcat88:

Selecting songs is too hard and too much time.
Set up some playlists ahead of time. On the 3GS you can use voice command it to play playlists.
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

said by Morac:

Set up some playlists ahead of time. On the 3GS you can use voice command it to play playlists.
Still too hard. I don't want to know the names or songs of the artists I listen to. I dont want to weed out old songs, or have to decide if I heard that song "enough" times. I just want to click the genre and my interaction ends at that. I'm that lazy.
WernerSchutz
Sugar Land, TX

1 edit

WernerSchutz

said by patcat88:

said by Morac:

Still too hard. I don't want to know the names or songs of the artists I listen to. I dont want to weed out old songs, or have to decide if I heard that song "enough" times. I just want to click the genre and my interaction ends at that. I'm that lazy.
Users are trying to get what radio does not offer anymore: good music, selection of specific genres, exposure to new music that a user has interest in. I listen to eurodance music. In the Houston area there is nothing like that on the radio. I pay $5/month to di.fm to listen to vocal eurodance music streamed to my iphone 3g. I am not stealing anything. di.fm has a license to broadcast that music, I am paying for service to AT&T and di.fm and I DO NOT HAVE TO LISTEN TO THE INCESSANT LAUGHING AND STUPID JOKES that the DJ's feel they have to do every 2 minutes, plus the endless advertisements interspersed with the occasional music which is barely supportable.

You want to hear annoying ? Listen to 104.1 FM in Houston and that horrid woman's laughing in the morning and you WILL be pissed off all day.

I hate Clearchannel and their "selection" of music and irritating DJ's. I do not like XM radio. Streaming over 3g is an excellent alternative.
patcat88
Jamaica, NY

patcat88

Thats why internet radio is so great, youll eventually find a internet radio station that meets your taste. DI is a pretty good collection of generes, i listen to DI myself.
WernerSchutz
Sugar Land, TX

WernerSchutz

said by patcat88:

Thats why internet radio is so great, youll eventually find a internet radio station that meets your taste. DI is a pretty good collection of generes, i listen to DI myself.
Yes. When there is a good product, people will try it and then buy it. Maybe MPAA/RIAA and the cable industry should pay attention.

jmn1207
Premium Member
join:2000-07-19
Sterling, VA

jmn1207

Premium Member

Ha, I never even knew what DI.FM was, but I noticed that I have about a dozen saved favorite stations in my Blackberry TuneWiki app from Digitally Imported. I never bothered to investigate further, just enjoyed the music. Now I have a "face" to go along with the name.

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac to patcat88

to patcat88
said by patcat88:

The latest slacker app lets you cache stations for offline use. So you can cache your radio at home and listen to it without using MB on the road. You need to subscribe to Slacker Plus though.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

How's that work exactly, it streams it to a file realtime at home, or can you say, download the last x number of hours from their server?

And how much does that run for the plus?

Morac
Cat god
Riverside, NJ

Morac

The way it works is you select what stations you want to cache and then click refresh cache. It then goes and fetches a few hours (I think) of each station. This took about 15 or 30 minutes over WiFi, I'm not sure exactly how long since I went and did other things while it was downloading.

It costs $4.99 a month or $47.88 prepaid for the year ($3.99 a month). There's a 14 day free trial which is what I'm on at the moment.

»www.slacker.com/radio/

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

That sounds pretty interesting. Thanks for the info, I'll have to check out the trial.

In the morning I usually fire up wunder radio to stream radio (odd eh, I can get a decent 3G signal in my office, but crappy FM radio reception) then switch to Pandora in the afternoon. This sounds like it has some potential.