kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Clearwire Wireless

1 edit
reply to MyDogHsFleas

Re: Pricing breakdown: most customers will actually save money

said by MyDogHsFleas:

I'm curious what apps or capabilities you are using that is causing your data usage to increase rapidly.
Well, it's mainly the fact that AT&T have significantly improved their 3g speeds here.

Two years ago, I was lucky to get 300kbps download speeds. At that time, I kept my device on WIFI at home, and being retired, home is where I spent most of my time.

Where I live the ONLY "broadband" access available to me (aside from 3g 'wireless') is DSL at 1mb/s Slow, but it was faster than AT&T's 3g.

Now, AT&T have improved 3g speeds here to between 1 and 1.5 mb/s FASTER than DSL-WIFI-Attached. So, I have now been using iPhone on 3g ALWAYS; I keep WIFI turned off.

My apps are not too out of the ordinary, I don't think. I have 10 IMAP email accounts which I use on everything including the phone, I listen to Pandora a lot, but more recently, I installed NORTON's App which allows me to access all of my NORTON backed-up files (From laptop, desktop, and netbook) on my phone. I like the ability to access backed-up files remotely when I do not have my laptop handy, in fact, I hardly need to have either my laptop or netbook with me any longer. I now can have access to all my latest files right on iPhone. This particular app is bandwidth intensive.

The other major change due to AT&T's better bandwidth as well as the lifting of some restrictions on using 3g, is that I no longer use WIFI to update the apps themselves, I update right from the phone over 3g, then sync those updates to my computers. In other words, I am consciously using my 3g bandwidth as much as possible, to supplement my poor DSL.

More apps and better bandwidth have contributed to my greater network usage.

The iPhone is always with me as it is my only phone (No more POTS here) and I have been using it more and more. The better/faster it gets, the more I use it.

I LOVE the unlimited data package! I am on a fixed budget, and know exactly what my bill will be each month; $114.00. With the roll-over minutes, I never have to worry about "bill-shock".

Bob

edit: My Verizon "naked DSL" is costing me $19.99/Mo and is unlimited in terms of usage. If AT&T were to offer a competitive rate for UNLIMITED tethering, I would seriously consider dropping VZ DSL and tether a device, then share it local-net. This would make me totally MOBILE, A good thing for someone living aboard a boat, and having no permanent location.

Things MAY be getting better. I am looking forward to it.
--
Would you ever go over to Czechoslovakia, and marry me daughter for me?"