All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Aggie00
@shawcable.net

Aggie00

Anon

[BC] What do I need to receive HD channels?

I currently have the old DCT-something digital box ....and I'm getting a HDTV this Friday, will I be able to get the basic HD channels (199 -210) with my current digital box or I need to buy either the Shaw HD Terminal/Shaw HDPVR Terminal?

Thanks.

rustydusty
join:2009-09-29
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

Can keep the same box and still recieve the exact same channels, or upgrade to the new digital box and get same thing, just a new and better box. Or finally, you can get an HD Reciever or an HDPVR. If you are getting an HD TV, I suggest getting just a plain HD reciever and the basic Shaw HD package. You could get the HDPVR to, but only if you plan on recording shows.

Aggie00
@shawcable.net

Aggie00

Anon

said by rustydusty:

Can keep the same box and still recieve the exact same channels, or upgrade to the new digital box and get same thing, just a new and better box. Or finally, you can get an HD Reciever or an HDPVR. If you are getting an HD TV, I suggest getting just a plain HD reciever and the basic Shaw HD package. You could get the HDPVR to, but only if you plan on recording shows.
Thanks Rusty, if I'm reading the above correctly, my current old Motorola DCT digital box will work with the new HDTV, but to view those basic HD channels 199-210, I will need the HD Receiver, right?

Thanks.

XT0RT
S3x, Drugs, War
join:2001-07-28
Edmonton, AB

XT0RT to Aggie00

to Aggie00
Anything encoded in HD requires an HD decoder, so yes, you need the HD receiver.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Aggie00

to Aggie00
said by Aggie00 :

said by rustydusty:

Thanks Rusty, if I'm reading the above correctly, my current old Motorola DCT digital box will work with the new HDTV, but to view those basic HD channels 199-210, I will need the HD Receiver, right?

Thanks.
Yes, you will need an HD reciever, plus the HD package from Shaw. I have just the basic HD package and I find myself not able to view a lot of my favorite shows on HD with basic. I'm already paying over $100/month for my TV and internet though, so I don't want to upgrade. Once Telus TV becomes available in my area, I plan on trying their Telus TV out. Shaw's is alright, but for how much I'm paying, I should get a lot more than the basic HD channels.
Shawesome2
join:2010-05-13
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2

I'd look into getting the Basic TV package with an HD receiver + HD Plus. On the down side, the price was recently increased to 16$/month (from 9$) for HD Plus, but to me that package is really worth it even at the new price.

Atleast in my area it'd be 36$ + 16$, plus whatever you're paying for internet and/or phone. Alot of those tiered channels I'd much rather just drop in favor of HD Plus.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Aggie00

to Aggie00
Digital TV and Basic HD + Highspeed internet alone is $116/month bundled. If you wanted the HD plus, then add on another $16/month. Then add X-treme and Warp, and you're at $125/month or nearly $200/month. I love HD, but it's expensive in Canada. I'm interested in trying out Telus TV to see if it's a better deal.
Shawesome2
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2

said by rustydusty:

Digital TV and Basic HD + Highspeed internet alone is $116/month bundled. If you wanted the HD plus, then add on another $16/month. Then add X-treme and Warp, and you're at $125/month or nearly $200/month. I love HD, but it's expensive in Canada. I'm interested in trying out Telus TV to see if it's a better deal.

+ the 16$ for HDPLUS...

Prices may be a little different in your area, but not by much.

sasktelboy
@sasknet.sk.ca

sasktelboy to rustydusty

Anon

to rustydusty
Rustydusty

If your can get Telus tv mediarom, I am sure they give you a good deal on hardware and stuff.

Hope you can get in your area soon or you do have it. How expensive Shaw is over there? Please list the prices.
sasktelboy

sasktelboy to Shawesome2

Anon

to Shawesome2
Well, 16 monthly is kinda steep when they not adding more channels but they promised more soon, but i don't belove it but it their choice but My max hd price is still 10 monthly it been like that for 7 years since they launch it. And added 5 new Hd channels since June 1st that the total 47 hd so Shaw raising rates often than Sask-tel so yeah, do the math and see for yourself
Shawesome2
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2

Who said they aren't adding more channels? They added tons of channels while keeping the price at 9$ for years, and I've heard that new channels are coming shortly. Likely coming soon, as they just moved some more channels to digital to make room for more HD stuff. I don't really think they're missing all the much when it comes to HD content though. Maybe NFL network, but I can't think of much else when it comes to channels that are offered in HD that might actually be nice to have/watch in HD.

Can't really comment on Telus or Sas-tel's services as I've never had them, and don't know what kind of HD content they have, or how it looks.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty to Shawesome2

to Shawesome2
said by Shawesome2:

said by rustydusty:

+ the 16$ for HDPLUS...

Prices may be a little different in your area, but not by much.
Current Monthly Services (12-May-10 to 11-Jun-10)
Digital TV/Movies & High-Speed
Bulk Services
High-Speed Extreme
Purchased Modem Discount
Total Current Monthly Services
$126.95

Apparently Shaw is a joke and likes to charge completely different for customers. Been with Shaw for like 9 years and this is what we get, really?
Shawesome2
Winnipeg, MB

1 edit

Shawesome2

No, you're paying extra for the tiers. If you don't watch the tiers (only channel I personally miss is Comedy Network), then drop down to Basic TV. You're also paying for Movie Central which is where another large bulk of your cable bill is going to. Personally I find the HD content of HD plus better than Movie Central/HBO and the 3 tiers. If I do miss any shows/channels from those channels, I'll look for the content online via the networks website, or download it.

The tiers all together are probably 15-20$, Movie Central is 16$, replace that with HD Plus and you find yourself with more HD channels, and a lower cable bill.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by Shawesome2:

No, you're paying extra for the tiers. If you don't watch the tiers (only channel I personally miss is Comedy Network), then drop down to Basic TV. You're also paying for Movie Central which is where another large bulk of your cable bill is going to. Personally I find the HD content of HD plus better than Movie Central/HBO and the 3 tiers. If I do miss any shows/channels from those channels, I'll look for the content online via the networks website, or download it.

The tiers all together are probably 15-20$, Movie Central is 16$, replace that with HD Plus and you find yourself with more HD channels, and a lower cable bill.
Movie channels have good movies on once in a while, but more HD would be better overall. The movie channels have been slowly getting worse as well. Playing more and more re runs and movies no one cares much for.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen

I get the movie channels so I can watch their movies for free on VOD.

I don't often tune to the movie channels themselves anymore.

rustydusty
Red Deer County, AB

rustydusty

said by stolen:

I get the movie channels so I can watch their movies for free on VOD.

I don't often tune to the movie channels themselves anymore.
Ya, the free movies on movie channel under VOD is usually pretty good. Sometimes they throw in movies that are 5 years old and I've seen many many times.
Shawesome2
Winnipeg, MB

Shawesome2 to Aggie00

to Aggie00
Yeah, I'm a fan of the VOD functions of MC aswell. I can watch Twilight a year after the release, and well after the DVD is out, but too embarrased to go out and get it to see what all the fuss is about.

Also the HBO content is quite good, usually has 2-3 good series going per season.