how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Narcah

@spcsdns.net

2.4 Mhz Grid Antenna - $39, right one?

»www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid···&cpc=SCH

I have purchased from Geeks before, great company, but is that the right antenna for hooking up to a Sierra Compass 597 for maximum reception? It looks the same as all the others that people talk about, but I honestly have no clue about such things... What I do know is I am tired of the 95-105 dbi from both my Wilson omni and Yagi that fell over and got damaged.

Also I can't tell if it is N-male or N-Female, I already have the needed adopters from my Yagi kit I hope.

davidhoffman
Premium
join:2009-11-19
Warner Robins, GA
kudos:3

Yes, that is the same basic antenna. You will have to contact Geeks about the connector. The manufacturers website? says they provide both Nmale and Nfemale connection versions.

xrayman

join:2008-12-09
Kansas City
kudos:1
reply to Narcah

Looks to be a N-Female connector on the photo but a little hard to tell.

dj0521

join:2005-03-02
Orlando, FL
reply to Narcah

Confirmed it is a n-female.
I had bought the 15bdi version 2 months ago and it works great. If you have any questions about the antenna let me know.

»www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid···&cat=NET

Narcah

@spcsdns.net
reply to Narcah

I'm the OP. I purchased this antenna and have never been happier with my Sprint 3g. ~1 mbs down, which is about 400-600 kbs better than ever, and it stays up for days on end instead of getting kicked off and having to twiddle with it every day or so.

HIGHLY recommended.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

got pics of your setup?

Automate

join:2001-06-26
Atlanta, GA
reply to Narcah

Will this one also work well on Sprint/Clear WiMax at 2.5Mhz?

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..
reply to Narcah

The 2.4Ghz antenna will work on Sprint, but it's not optimally tuned for Sprint, which runs at 1.9Ghz. The way around this is to put a plastic spacer of about 1/2" thickness between the metal reflector plate at the end of the feedarm and the plastic housing it screws into, pushing the metal plate 1/2" further away from the grid. This will adjust the frequency of your grid to 1.9Ghz and you might notice a few db of signal improvement. I think Jim_in_VA has a piece on his blog about this very adjustment, so check with him. I've also seen this on other posts on DSLR, so do a little digging and you should find it.
--
Sierra 598U/Cradlepoint CTR500, grid antenna, Millenicom unlimited, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro and 1 Ubuntu units, FireFox everywhere.

dondude

join:2005-09-15
Lehigh Acres, FL
reply to Narcah

My signal is usually 75-80dBm and sometimes jumps around up into the 90's and goes to 1xrtt. Would this lock my signal into the 60's?

caribconsult
Premium
join:2003-03-19
Mayaguez, PR
Reviews:
·AT&T Wireless Br..

I can't really say how much gain you'll get from fine tuning the reflector but it will be some. If you can get it down into the 80's you should be able to lock into 3G. I doubt this improvement alone will give you signal into the 60's...this may require some pinpoint aiming of the grid, perhaps an amplifier.
--
Sierra 598U/Cradlepoint CTR500, grid antenna, Millenicom unlimited, 2 LinkSys WiFi a/p, 4 XPPro and 1 Ubuntu units, FireFox everywhere.