spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noacct

@dslextreme.com

Does a modem degrade in speed over time?

You know how parts become degraded over time, I was wondering if modems degrade too causing a speed decline?

Modem is from 2003 or 2004.

I'm assuming since digital transfers are 0's and 1's that it shouldn't matter, and unless the modem dies the speed would be the same as new, right?

Thanks.

Kiwi
Premium
join:2003-05-26
USA/MidWest
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Comcast

Huh! Everything degrades over time, if the capacitors are electrolyte based rather than solid caps, it has a more defined finite life span, spot solders come loose materials become brittle.

Are you thinking because it's analog it's not O's and 1's?

Right, it works or it won't and until it's dead, it's as fast as it was when new, essentially.

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
reply to noacct

What the modem does is to convert digital data to analog, and vice-versa (MOdulator DEModulator) and so degradation anywhere in the analog path, however small that may be, could matter. However as far I concern, if you see worse transfer rates than you've seen some years ago, chances are good that is most likely due to something else then degradation of your modem over time. Line quality is by far the most important attribute w.r.t. attainable speeds, and changes in that are much more likely than changes in your modem.
--
And the winner is:

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to noacct

I have found that a reboot of my modem about every month or so does wonders for my speeds that appear do degrade. And I don't think it's hardware related.