Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

1 edit

pnjunction to bananaban4

Premium Member

to bananaban4
For people who torrent it lets them upload faster.

The average person would probably notice it most sending e-mails with attachments (usually pictures, sometimes documents).

Say you attach 5 MB of pics to an e-mail. With 256k up this would take something like 2.5 minutes. With 1M up it would take like 40 seconds.

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus to bananaban4

to bananaban4
Also if you skype (video and voice chat) it really takes its toll on your upload.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

Also uploading all your vacation pictures to flickr can take a long time with current upload speeds. Also people that work on large files at home and then have to upload them to work or clients.

BigSensFan
Premium Member
join:2003-07-16
Belle River, ON

BigSensFan

Premium Member

Online gaming needs UL as well

pnjunction
Teksavvy Extreme
Premium Member
join:2008-01-24
Toronto, ON

pnjunction to graniterock

Premium Member

to graniterock
That's true most people upload pics to websites like flickr or facebook rather than e-mail them these days. Either way faster upload makes it quicker.

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
join:2002-09-10
canada

EUS to bananaban4

Premium Member

to bananaban4
Running server(s). Presently, I have 900K up on a cable connection. If 1/4 of my clients were to request photos, it would be slow for everyone.
Jukebox style streaming music at a bitrate of 196-356 works for 2 clients, anymore, and buffering starts.
These are my own reasons for having faster upload speeds on my wish-list.

mary2010
join:2010-04-25
Mississauga, ON

mary2010 to pnjunction

to pnjunction
upload speed is as important as download if you ask me... i'm also a photographer and uploading high quality photos or after shoots uploading wedding photos etc for customers to see takes for ever if you don't have a decent upload speed.

Obviously it's more then just that but upload is as important as download, you just don't NEED 10 meg upload

andyb
Premium Member
join:2003-05-29
SW Ontario

andyb to bananaban4

Premium Member

to bananaban4
I convert Half Life maps into mods and send them via email if not to large.Takes awhile.I also upload the larger ones to filefront and that can take hours for the over 150mb types

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

EUS to mary2010

Premium Member

to mary2010
said by mary2010:

you just don't NEED 10 meg upload
Perhaps you don't but many others' needs are different than yours.

mary2010
Mississauga, ON

mary2010

said by EUS:

said by mary2010:

you just don't NEED 10 meg upload
Perhaps you don't but many others' needs are different than yours.
if you require a 10 mbit upload then you should be paying for a business line... T3's etc. No consumer requires 10mbit upload. Each of my photos are 12-30megs a piece but even myself find 10 meg upload for residential a bit far fetched.

Would i love to have it yes, but please don't try that on me

EUS
Kill cancer
Premium Member
canada

1 edit

EUS

Premium Member

Who says I'm not paying for a business line?
Again, your needs are not mine.

mary2010
Mississauga, ON

mary2010 to bananaban4

to bananaban4
only other needs would be for a server. and if you require those speeds for a sever you shouldn't be hosting it in your own home in the first place.

Maybe for a business (office) thats where it would only seem to make sense.

Chuck Carlso
@teksavvy.com

Chuck Carlso to bananaban4

Anon

to bananaban4
It's good for your download speed. If your upload speed is too slow it will choke your download speed. Canada is the perfect example of this with some of the slowest upload speed in the world.
buttaknife
join:2007-06-01

1 edit

buttaknife to bananaban4

to bananaban4
Bottom line is that everyone has a need, a want and an opinion on everything. But it's the same as download speed, why do we need more than say 5mbps download? Why do people want 25mbps or more? People want higher speeds because it simply makes surfing, downloading and uploading, etc that much more appealing. I mean if speed didn't matter, we'd be content with 56k. When I'm downloading a patch or music or video, I know my 5mbps connection is enough. But I sure as hell wouldn't mind a 50 mbps connection just so I can get done whatever I need done faster, if applicable.

Some people have less patience and want/need more. And I don't think you can be a judge for what others need based on your opinion and your needs. On top of that, bringing up illegal activities is a dead horse issue and just cheapens what you are trying to argue for.
Expand your moderator at work
JKing2
join:2009-10-06

JKing2 to bananaban4

to bananaban4

Re: why does "upload" speed matter?

As someone who has in the past had to transfer very large files back and forth for very legitimate reasons (backups, mostly, but also in-progress video content and test builds of large software) I've often wished for faster upload speeds. TekSavvy are of course limited in what they can offer through no fault of their own, but I can certainly say that I would welcome something faster if I could get it at a sane price.

Sure, it's easy to think of a lot of illegal or shady reasons for moving lots of data fast, but it's also easy to overlook a lot of very reasonable and perfectly innocent reasons which are usually more important to a home user, like (for example) sending my painstakingly extracted, tagged and replay gained music library to an online backup service in something less than two weeks so I can safely stow my CDs where they're less likely to be damaged and feel safe in the knowledge that my mirrored hard disk is not the only place where three months of labour is stored. Or maybe I'm a new father who's all ga-ga over my bundle of joy, shooting 1080p video memories that I want to share with my aunt in Australia and my best friend in Louisiana.

Sure, these are not use cases that everyone will have, but they're important ones, and not ones I should arbitrarily have to wait on because the data in question happens to be a bit on the big side.

mary2010
Mississauga, ON

mary2010

again too much of a defense from everyone on upload speeds. It's crazy. I run a web hosting business and have successfully for 13 years, going on 14. I could use higher upload speeds for uploading 30 gigs of sql backups or uploading/downloading server backups. Not saying there isn't legit reasons but it's funny how everyone jumps on the i'm innocent bandwagon.
Expand your moderator at work

blackdragon1
join:2007-06-16

blackdragon1

good use of torrents!

»torrentfreak.com/uk-gove ··· -100604/

mary2010
Mississauga, ON

mary2010

lol, you've heard of TF before right? If not enjoy it's a hoot i promise.

fourboxers
Mod
join:2003-05-04
Toronto

1 edit

fourboxers to EUS

Mod

to EUS

(topic move) off topic

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 21 followups to it), have been removed
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

TheMG to pnjunction

Premium Member

to pnjunction

Yeah unlike most ISPs would like you to believe upload speed is becoming more and more important.

-video uploads (eg. YouTube)
-picture uploads (Flickr, etc)
-work VPN/FTP/etc
-email attachments
-hosting online games
-streaming live video/audio (webcams, voip)

All benefit from a greater upload speed.

Oh the frustration of uploading a 500MB HD video to Youtube overnight only to find in the morning that the upload had failed halfway through!!!

The current download:upload ratio offered by most ISPs these days is ridiculous. 1Mbps is really painful when you have several GBs worth of perfectly legit stuff to upload.

Sears
join:2008-02-17

Sears to bananaban4

to bananaban4
It'd be pretty cool to teleconference in nice hd quality with your mum/girlfriend/whatever halfway across the world. Lots of real world examples.
lisa9robinso
join:2010-06-05
Olympia, WA

lisa9robinso to bananaban4

to bananaban4
if you have a lot of computers and users connected to you dsl -- like that internet cafe -- I guess it would make a faster response for those using the Internet if DSL uploads is fast.

CompUser
join:2001-11-07
Ada, OH

CompUser to bananaban4

to bananaban4
I have 768k upstream. I have 3 computers, game console, netflix, youtube, etc., users in my household.

When you get a combination of the 3 people in my household using the internet, that 768k is like a noose.

That is just one legit need for more bandwidth upstream, but I'm sure you'll ignore it or come up with some other reason that what I have is good enough.

That is the highest bandwith available in my area.

Have a nice day and judge not!

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem to bananaban4

Premium Member

to bananaban4
It's good for:

File uploads(Duh)
Gaming
Torrenting
Hosting servers
VOIP
Pretty much anything that needs to have 2 way communication, or just upwards communication.

darcmage
join:2005-10-07
Etobicoke, ON

darcmage to bananaban4

to bananaban4
said by Bill Gates :

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"
Those who don't learn from history are morons. I think that's how the saying goes.

quatra
Premium Member
join:2003-06-22
Matthews, NC

quatra to bananaban4

Premium Member

to bananaban4
HD video conferencing requires as much as 5 mbit upload. If you've ever used a web cam you'll see how pitiful the video quality is over an average connection.

Also - once your upload is maxed your download speeds will plummet. I don't allow my daughter to use her webcam because of how badly it slows the network both in terms of downstream (although she is only using about 400kbit of downstream) and latency.

Unfortunately I can't tell my wife what she's allowed to do on the internet and she likes to upload large video clips (500meg+) and huge collections of photos.

I have a 7mbit/384kbit connection today - I could pay more for 10mbit/512kbit "turbo rr" but I'm waiting for docsis 3.0 to hit (supposively going live this summer in charlotte!)