spc
Search similar:

uniqs
davehowles
join:2002-05-11
Charles Town, WV

davehowles

SE567 Modem/router and WRT54G2 V1.5 router for A/P

I've a friend with Frontier DSL and very poor wireless performance with only the SE567 connected. This is on a single floor of maybe 800 square feet.

I'd like to use also the WRT54G as an A/P and also likely the wired functions in a more distant area of the house.

I'm somewhat familiar with a MODEM>ROUTER>ROUTER combination where the 1st router's IP is 192.168.1.1 and you use 192.168.1.2 for the 2nd.

I don't quite understand what I need to do with the WRT54G2 to use it in "addition to" the SE567 which I believe is 192.168.254.254

The SE567 is the version that has USB and an RJ45 available that is ID'd as WAN/LAN. I've read where it might require a cross-over cable but that seemed unlikely. I'm interested in what needs cascaded, ethernet to ethernet, WAN/LAN to ethernet, what static IP to assign the WRT54G and any other information that a person feels required!

THANKS!!!

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612

MVM

The easiest and least preferable way to set up the Linksys would be to plug an Ethernet connection from the Linksys's WAN port into a LAN port on the SE567 and place the Linksys where you want in the house. It will allow you to access network resources connected to the Linksys on the Linksys and the SE567, however not access anything from the Linksys when connected to the SE567.

What people here would normally suggest doing is setting up the Linksys as a switch/AP. I'm not too sure how to set that up as I've never messed around with such a setup, but if you look in the Advanced Routing section of the router you can probably find such an option there for turning off NAT and such.
davehowles
Charles Town, WV

davehowles

I believe what I had in mind was the switch/AP solution but I've certainly no idea for the proper set up. I'd be interested in maybe a "step by step" explanation!

In the "least desirable" solution would I accomplish at least a very good connection for the Internet aspect of the connection. I believe he's more interested in the Internet performance from the more distant location.

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

In that case if you know he isn't going to be wanting to share files between his PCs or for example use Printer sharing, you can hook him up using the most basic method. He will still be able to access the Internet and the SpeedStream's admin interface, though there will just be another router into the mix. Also the downside is it will not transfer over smoothly.

But basically here is what I believe you do to the Linksys for the best setup. Not sure if it will work or not but it's from looking around in the Admin interface of my Linksys routers that seem to work.

1: Disable DHCP on the Linksys. We do not want it serving up an IP addresses. The SpeedStream will do this.

2: Set the SSID and the Security type and key to the same SSID and security that the SpeedStream is using. This will allow for smooth transitioning between the two wireless routers without affecting network communication for the most part.

3: Connect an Ethernet cable from one of the SpeedStream's Ethernet ports to a LAN port on the Linksys (Do not plug it into WAN! It will not work).

4: See if Internet connectivity is working after you perform a DHCP release and a DHCP renew on your computer. Your PC should pull a 192.168.254.* IP address when connected to the Linksys, and Internet should be working.

5: If it is not working, set a static IP up on your PC within the subnet of the Linksys and an IP outside of the typical DHCP range for the Linksys and check the Setup > Advanced Routing page for an option such as "Gateway" or "Router." If you see any of those options, change it to Router from Gateway. If you also see an option for NAT and Internet connectivity still isn't working when you set your PC back to DHCP mode, disable that as well.

The only thing you should need to touch on the SpeedStream is an Ethernet port. Nothing needs to be touched with that so if the Linksys stops working, resetting it is rather easy as I'm sure you know.
davehowles
Charles Town, WV

davehowles

I won't have an opportunity to attempt this until the week-end but I appreciate your information.

The "test" I guess is if I've enough "intelligence" to apply the information! Your explanation is appreciated!!

Thanks!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

No problem
davehowles
Charles Town, WV

davehowles

The install didn't perform particularly well and after I studied the surroundings I just installed a simple DSL modem and ethernet to the router in another area of the house. The SE567 was in a closet that shared also the 400 AMP service for the house/garage. I'm guessing that the SE567 had little chance to perform in these surroundings.

The phone system was all "home-runned" in the same closet to a separate enclosure with CAT5 so I just redid a receptacle at the furthest end of the house breaking out a single pair for the telephone and used the appropriate remaining pairs for an Ethernet to the same receptacle. It's actually very functional.

Substantially less aggravation for me and less confusion for my friend!

Smith6612
MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

1 edit

Smith6612

MVM

Glad to hear it's worked out. It seems as though the wireless on the SE567 can be hit or miss. I have an SE567 in service on a non-Frontier line at a local business and it actually performs better than the older equipment I had at that location. I suppose it depends on how the building was built, but the SE567 maintains a nice wireless Link through two thick Cinder Block Walls, a Metal door and some 150-300FT of air with noise from other radio devices and fluorescent lighting. Of course, there's no other AP in range of the building even when you take a laptop outside and scan. You only pick up the SE567.