how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LinkD

join:2009-10-01
Magalia, CA

AT&T tells me they dont do ISDN?

how did you guys go about ordering an ISDN line, i was on the phone for 45+ minutes as i kept getting transferred to new people over and over, until one person just finally said, "we dont do ISDN"

dont ALOT of people here use AT&T for ISDN?

does anyone know a certain phone number i can call and ask for ISDN? this is really confusing me and i hope someone can help.

alextheclown

@mdsg-pacwest.com

They do. Don't listen to whoever told you they don't. It took me several days and a few hours on the phone to finally get to someone who knew what they were talking about. When i first tried to order it I got some chick who was like.... O YEAH ISDN! LET ME SEE IF ITS AVAILABLE FOR YOU!

5 minutes later she gets back to me telling me that and i quote "isdnls fiber optic isn't in your area yet". I was like wtf and I argued with her that isdn wasn't a fiber optic service... she refused to even listen to what I was saying so I hung up.

Right now I'm two days away from the tech coming to install the necessary equipment at my house.

fozngoof
Premium
join:2003-07-08
Temple, TX
reply to LinkD

I had to go through the business section. Residential knows NOTHING about ISDN.

crktcrkt

join:2010-03-30
Guthrie, OK
reply to LinkD

It's typical to get reps who say I Still Don't Know Nothing about ISDN. It is offered, but only on business lines and is terribly expensive. They'll try to sell you everything from DSL to satellite to a phone card, but if you get a company line and talk to them, they can fix you right up.

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16

said by crktcrkt:

....... It is offered, but only on business lines and is terribly expensive........
That depends entirely on where you live. Here in Tennessee, it's a tariffed service that's much cheaper than POTS if you need two lines. I just dropped our POTS line, while keeping our 128K ISDN line. Two crystal clear numbers with caller ID (number only), call transfer, drop, and hold for $50 a month including all taxes and mandated fees is a much better deal than a regular phone line.

As a bonus, I can use it for for backup 128K Internet access should our primary access go down. A $10 a month account with an ISP is all it takes.

I also get a 24/7 dedicated trouble number staffed by actual people that know what they are doing and don't read from scripts, plus priority restoration service.

I also get to confuse the hell out of people when I tell them I make my own dial tone. Bonus!

Terahertz

join:2009-11-04
Tylertown, MS
reply to LinkD

I just got off of the phone with AT&T business and they knew exactly what ISDN was. Only took about 20 mins and they said they do offer ISDN service in my area but the install is $225 and monthly charge of $100.79 for 2 B Channels, so with internet and long distance looks like it would be $150ish a month.

Seems kinda steep so back to Hughesnet I go.

ruraltn

join:2008-05-16

Take a look at the Millenicom forum.

bbwithdrawls

join:2008-08-30
Vanleer, TN
reply to LinkD

depends on which state you in as to the rates for isdn , in Tn we can thank Al gore for inventing the internet , really what he did was brought ISDN rates way down , its 45 dollars a month here

by all means if its to high looks elsewhere , Ruraltn is right you can get a 10 month dial up account and ISDN works, stay away from Hughes net , i haven't met anyone happy with them ,

definately try the millenicom forum here on dsl reports , if you get a cell signal at the house you may be able to get a decent air card to work , nice thing with Mcom is NO contracts , so when they change the rules you have options

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:8
reply to LinkD

Residential knows NOTHING about ISDN
ISDN has never been a residential service in most of the AT&T (bellsouth) regions. And yes, it's expensive as hell everywhere except TN -- who's PUC had some sense. Last I dealt with it (~4 years ago when I moved and killed that line), the "ISDN department" was 4 ladies in Atlanta (or AL.) I have the magic "780" number around here somewhere that's direct to them -- 'tho they aren't the people to call to place an order, they are the people who process the order. It used to be a footnote under business DSL. (i.e. the last place anyone looking for ISDN would ever think to look.)

pitatou2

join:2010-10-22
Dickson, TN
reply to LinkD

This is the lady to talk to:
N Thrower
Service Recovery Team
ISDN GROUP
AT&T Southeast Region

1-800 -858 -9413 is the number i have for them ..im in TN.
they do have isdn ...I just had it installed about 2 weeks ago ( now if i could get a modem working :/ )they will try to install a line only ..you have to find an ISP and a modem.
I have decided it would be easier to make a columbian drug deal than to get ISDN installed and working ...lol
The first modem i got accessed »192.168.1.1 to configure the modem just fine but,,,,, it was for europe...didnt work. Second modem i got is for here but,,,,,it won't access »192.168.1.1 so i can set it up.

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

ISDN is a phone line -- translation... you're still in the world of dialup. With the right gear, you can call people with it. I have several old netopia R3100's sitting around if you want one. (pay for the shipping, or take a very long road trip )

And a few Ascend Pipeline's (50, 75 130) ('tho I don't have power bricks for all of them.)

[I used a netopia PN635 for years. It has(had) voice ports on it -- until they burned out... after 11 years.]

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to pitatou2

Pitatou2, your in dickson TN? Lol, so am I.. I'm in the bon aqua portion (SE dickson county) I'm very close to comcast and uverse, and spotty verizon coverage so I'm on the isdn train too...

Hows your neck of the woods? LTE is available from verizon, but i'm waiting on Mellinecom to come out with an lte plan before swapping over...

bbwithdrawls

Vanleer, TN

Wow , just looking at all these tn people who are forced to use ISDN because nothing else available , ATT should hang its head in shame but as long as their getting your money every month why should they ,

I have NOTHING ATT anymore for that reason

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

Well, IDSL would an option for them. But it might end up more expensive as it's not seen as a consumer level service.

bbwithdrawls

Vanleer, TN

Cmon , 144 kbps vs 128 kbps , whats the point ??? No ATT needs to live up to its commercials they plaster everywhere , fastest network around , its really pathetic the way they treat the rural areas, big article about 4 g from att today , but hell in my area its still edge , I filed a complaint with the state that they were charging me more basic phone service than a metropolitan area could get dsl and phone service for and the lack of broadband especially with their advertising claims ,they apologized that DSL would NEVER be offered in my area they responding that wild blue was available and U verse would be coming soon , if you cant offer DSL how can they tell me U verse is coming

look real close at the avatar , that sums it up regarding ATT

cramer
Premium
Raleigh, NC

Of course AT&T isn't going to roll out DSL. If they're installing equipment, it will be uverse. I've seen them install VRADs in some of the strangest places around NC. (like right here)

IDSL vs. ISDN (multilink ppp) is a matter of cost. You're in TN, where ISDN is the cheapest in the country, so it may well be cheaper. Around here, my ISDN line was 80-90$/month. Then there's the cost of the dialup ISP; they all charge extra for using two lines, some even charged more for using ISDN.