Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

steve 47

join:2010-06-05
Clarkston, GA

3 edits

[Home Network] Motorola 2210-02-1022 LAN setup

Why is the Motorola 2210-02-1022 trying to assign 192.168.1.64 to any computer that connects?

I am using a switch to connect 3 machines to the modem. My old 2210-02-1006 handled the switch just fine, plug'n'play -- each additional connection was assigned a new address automatically.

Using the 1022, with the same switch setup, only one computer at a time can connect. If I try to connect another machine I get a Windows error message about conflicting IP address 192.168.1.64.

Do I need to do something special with the 1022?

This modem really feels like a downgrade.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
Do you have the Motorola 2210 issued in AT&T Southeast, or legacy SBC. They are not the same, and may exhibit different behavior. You are describing the behavior I would expect from a legacy SBC issued modem; exactly the same as my SBC issued SpeedStream 4100.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
reply to steve 47
said by steve 47:

Why is the Motorola 2210-02-1022 trying to assign 192.168.1.64 to any computer that connects?
The dhcp server is configured to give out just one ip address
If you want to connect more than one device to the modem you must configure the additional computers with static ip address info:

Second computer
ip address: 192.168.1.63
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
default gateway: 192.168.1.254
preferred dns server: 192.168.1.254

Third computer
Second computer
ip address: 192.168.1.62

graysonf
Premium,MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL
kudos:2
Is there some reason the DHCP server can not have its scope increased to hand out more addresses?

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by graysonf:

Is there some reason the DHCP server can not have its scope increased to hand out more addresses?
Its a legacy SBC thing. SBC has always "crippled" its routed modems to only issue 192.168.1.64 via DHCP. When ordering the Motorola 2210, the legacy Bellsouth customer should be sure he is ordering the version supplied for AT&T Southeast.
--
Norman

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to graysonf
The 7.7.3r5 and 7.7.5r8 2210 software has no gui page that will allow the user to make that change

This image shows the changes that the user can make for the lan devices
Connection Configuration Page

Setting a static ip on a computer is not difficult to do and that will allow connecting many computers

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to steve 47
said by steve 47:

I am using a switch to connect 3 machines to the modem. My old 2210-02-1006 handled the switch just fine, plug'n'play -- each additional connection was assigned a new address automatically.

Using the 1022, with the same switch setup, only one computer at a time can connect. If I try to connect another machine I get a Windows error message about conflicting IP address 192.168.1.64.

Do I need to do something special with the 1022?

This modem really feels like a downgrade. :uhh:
Have you not yet installed the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware? Or is that behavior seen on the 2210-02-1022 even after installing the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware?

Either way, you might be able to change the DHCP assignment range using the telnet interface:

dcs-gwm> config

Config Mode v1.3
dcs-gwm (top)>> dhcp
dcs-gwm (dhcp)>> view

===============================================
dhcp
option server
start-address 192.168.8.1
end-address 192.168.8.31
lease-time 03:00:00:00
default-option-group ""
filterset
assigned-filterset "none"
reserved
ip-address 192.168.8.1
mac-address 00-16-b6-86-e8-f0
ip-address 192.168.8.2
mac-address 00-40-f4-e7-ff-27
gen-option
option-group
dcs-gwm (dhcp)>> set end-address
end-address (192.168.8.31): 192.168.8.31
dcs-gwm (dhcp)>> save
WARNING: System-bridge has been turned ON!
WARNING: 'dns domain-name' is null, indicating no domain name is available.
WARNING: 'dns primary-address [0.0.0.0]' and 'dns secondary-address [0.0.0.0]'
indicate no nameserver is available.
WARNING: 'dhcp start/end-address [192.168.8.1, 192.168.8.31]' provide a maximum
of 31 lease addresses

Configuration data saved.
dcs-gwm (dhcp)>> exit

dcs-gwm>

The commands you enter are shown in bold. In my case, I did not change the end-address, but you should change it to whatever you like.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

steve 47

Clarkston, GA

1 edit
reply to steve 47
said by NetFixer:

Have you not yet installed the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware? Or is that behavior seen on the 2210-02-1022 even after installing the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware?

Either way, you might be able to change the DHCP assignment range using the telnet interface:
I must wait to install the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware at a more opportune time, can't afford to risk bricking this modem just now, however remote the possibility. The power here is prone to blink during hot weather and peak A/C demand. I plan to do it in the wee hours sometime early next week.

Unfortunately a telnet to 192.168.1.254 won't connect. I tried also ports 53 and 80, no go. The modem log reports that telnet service is disabled.

For now I'm going to set up static IPs and I have a question about that:

said by wayjac:

If you want to connect more than one device to the modem you must configure the additional computers with static ip address info:

Second computer
ip address: 192.168.1.63

Third computer
Second computer
ip address: 192.168.1.62
If I understand correctly, should the first computer also be configured with a static IP, since any one of the 3 devices might be the first device to initiate a new session?

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by steve 47:

Unfortunately a telnet to 192.168.1.254 won't connect. I tried also ports 53 and 80, no go
Only the 7.7.3r5 software has telnet access

said by steve 47:

If I understand correctly, should the first computer also be configured with a static IP, since any one of the 3 devices might be the first device to initiate a new session?
You can use static ip info for all the computers if you want to
All devices will have full lan/wan access

If there is ever a need to avoid nat one device can be configured as a dhcp client and the modem configured to share the public ip address with the "yes, use public ip address

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by wayjac:

Only the 7.7.3r5 software has telnet access.
That would apparenly be a restriction that only applies to the 2210-02-1022 model. I have flashed a 2210-02-1006 with the AT&T SBC 7.7.5r8 firmware that I obtained from the AT&T training site before they pulled the firmware, and I still had telnet access. In fact, if I had not had telnet access, that modem would still have the brain dead 7.7.5r8 firmware on it since it would not allow me to access the firmware load page with the GUI interface without the secret code from the label on the bottom of the modem (which the 2210-02-1006 models do not have).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

steve 47

Clarkston, GA

4 edits
reply to NormanS
said by NormanS:

When ordering the Motorola 2210, the legacy Bellsouth customer should be sure he is ordering the version supplied for AT&T Southeast.
I received this one as free replacement for a dead Motorola 2210-02-1006 that was part of a known bad batch. Maybe AT&T Southeast send refurbished 2210-02-1022's to people who quote serial numbers over the phone.

said by wayjac :

You can use static ip info for all the computers if you want to
All devices will have full lan/wan access

If there is ever a need to avoid nat one device can be configured as a dhcp client and the modem configured to share the public ip address with the "yes, use public ip address
Thanks, now I understand -- any one of the devices can be the sole permitted DHCP client on the LAN, and that device whenever it connects will be assigned 192.168.1.64 .

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to steve 47
said by steve 47:

I must wait to install the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware at a more opportune time, can't afford to risk bricking this modem just now, however remote the possibility
Another option would be to obtain a "spare" modem that has the features you want
said by steve 47:

any one of the devices can be the sole permitted DHCP client on the LAN, and that device whenever it connects will be assigned 192.168.1.64
You may be better off not using any dhcp clients......
as you have seen the 2210 dhcp server will give the 192.168.1.64 address to every dhcp client that requests a address

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

That would apparenly be a restriction that only applies to the 2210-02-1022 model
Telnet access is disabled with the 2210-02-1002[7.7.3r5] and 2210-02-1022[7.7.5r8]

said by NetFixer:

. I have flashed a 2210-02-1006 with the AT&T SBC 7.7.5r8 firmware that I obtained from the AT&T training site before they pulled the firmware, and I still had telnet access
You started out with software that has telnet access enabled
The "secret code" aka password
The 2210-02-1006 software requires the user to create the password
The 2210-02-1002/2210-02-1022 software has a factory preset password

steve 47

Clarkston, GA
reply to wayjac
said by wayjac:

You may be better off not using any dhcp clients......
as you have seen the 2210 dhcp server will give the 192.168.1.64 address to every dhcp client that requests a address
I ended up configuring static IPs on my work machines and left my girlfriend's laptop alone to do its DHCP thing. Since she doesn't always connect from here anyway, that was really the only choice.

Speaking of spare modems there are today several "new in box" 2210's on ebay going for cheap. Might be a safe bet as long as model and serial number are verified and guaranteed.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
reply to wayjac
said by wayjac:

said by NetFixer:

That would apparenly be a restriction that only applies to the 2210-02-1022 model
Telnet access is disabled with the 2210-02-1002[7.7.3r5] and 2210-02-1022[7.7.5r8]

said by NetFixer:

. I have flashed a 2210-02-1006 with the AT&T SBC 7.7.5r8 firmware that I obtained from the AT&T training site before they pulled the firmware, and I still had telnet access
You started out with software that has telnet access enabled
I seem to recall that you have mentioned that you knew that it was possible to flash 2210-02-1002 and 2210-02-1022 models with the AT&T SE 7.7.3r7 firmware. Do you know/recall if the Internal Server setup GUI page is available when that is done? I ask because should one of my 2210-02-1006 modems go belly up, I would probably have to get a 2210-02-1022 replacement, and I hope that I might be able to play Dr. Frankenstein and give it a brain transplant.

said by wayjac:

The "secret code" aka password
The 2210-02-1006 software requires the user to create the password
The 2210-02-1002/2210-02-1022 software has a factory preset password
That is true, and I immediately set a non-standard username and password for any 2210-02-1006 that I setup. However, a 2210-02-1006 with the AT&T/SBC firmware installed thinks that it is a 2210-02-1002/2210-02-1022 and insists on the user entering the non-existent factory preset password. The lesson learned from my experience in doing that, was don't do it again.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to steve 47
said by steve 47:

Speaking of spare modems there are today several "new in box" 2210's on ebay going for cheap. Might be a safe bet as long as model and serial number are verified and guaranteed.
I agree with all that you have posted except there is no reason to only consider another motorola 2210, most any dsl modem can be configured to work with your dsl

You have no reason to rush a purchase. Take your time do some research and make a informed decision

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
reply to NetFixer
Another member on this site did the flash the 1002 and didn't know what to enter at the 1006 login prompt
I suggested using admin and the modem access code, that worked and the poster promply flashed back the orginal software

Again I think the username is factory preset.....admin
If the user does not change it will remain....admin

The "non-existent factory preset password" is there the user must create one before any modem pages can be accessed

With the other modems only a subset of the modems configuration pages trigger the "access code" page prompt

If given the option I prefer to have a modem that can be configured to not have a login prompt

aspicer

join:2003-01-28
Fort Lauderdale, FL
reply to steve 47
This is my own opinion, but this probably THE, or one of THE lamest things that AT&T has done on the DSL side since the took it from Bellsouth.

To make a DSL modem that assigns 1 single IP Address. And breaks every DHCP rule by assigning that same IP Address to multiple computers on a LAN.

You cannot ... I say again ... cannot be lamer than that. What possible reason can you cite for doing this?

*We want people to either pay us for networking more per month ... more ARPU ... if you don't know what that is look it up. Or we think everyone wants to do another NAT (double NAT) all this on the doorstep of IPv6 about to kick in.

What are you going to do then AT&T DSL ? Screw that up as well somehow????

I just went to a premises ... swapped supposedly bad 2210 modem .... with one sent by AT&T. And saw all of the symptoms just described.

What household in 2010 ... what business small or otherwise premises? would not want to run a few computers and a printer ... let's say ????

I'm done. 3 hours on a 15 minute normal job. May hours talking to India ... which should NOT be answering phone cals for the US, for AT&T. Too many times told "I can't hear you Mr. Foobar" ... ummm that's my first name, not my Surname or Last Name. and why can't you hear me now? Because you don't understand the questions and acting like you cannot hear me is how you deal with that.

Nice work. Mr. India Man. Mr. AT&T India Man.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC

1 edit
said by aspicer:

This is my own opinion, but this probably THE, or one of THE lamest things that AT&T has done on the DSL side since the took it from Bellsouth.

To make a DSL modem that assigns 1 single IP Address. And breaks every DHCP rule by assigning that same IP Address to multiple computers on a LAN.
That was the SBC way of doing things, even before they took over AT&T. In the thirteen-state SBC region, they sold networking gateways at a premium over single-user modems. If the customer wanted a cheap modem, that is what the customer got. If the customer wanted a residential gateway device for networking, he had to pay more. I thought AT&T was more careful about the devices they shipped; i.e., only shipping the SBC crippled devices to former SBC customers. BICBW.
What household in 2010 ... what business small or otherwise premises? would not want to run a few computers and a printer ... let's say ????
Well I, for one, would prefer a basic modem, and then bring my own router to the party.

--
Norman

aspicer

join:2003-01-28
Fort Lauderdale, FL
said by NormanS:

said by aspicer:

That was the SBC way of doing things, even before they took over AT&T. In the thirteen-state SBC region, they sold networking gateways at a premium over single-user modems. If the customer wanted a cheap modem, that is what the customer got. If the customer wanted a residential gateway device for networking, he had to pay more. I thought AT&T was more careful about the devices they shipped; i.e., only shipping the SBC crippled devices to former SBC customers. BICBW.
Well I, for one, would prefer a basic modem, and then bring my own router to the party.

Well the thought or whatever assumes the average dsl customer as being stupid. That's a pretty good way of doing business, ehhh ? When they figure out were all pretty smart or we know someone else pretty smart then the tech support for such a project goes to hell. But we don't care because that's farmed out to India by the way ... and as experience tells me ... they all of a sudden cannot hear your voice when you start to talk technical. Apparently the only voice that really works is a certified letter to hell south ... I mean AT&T dot conglomeration.

NormanS
Premium,MVM
San Jose, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
said by aspicer:

Well the thought or whatever assumes the average dsl customer as being stupid. That's a pretty good way of doing business, ehhh ?
Maybe not. It takes more than stupid to set up a router behind a bridge. If I had to choose between an SBC crippled modem + my own router, and an AT&T combo unit, I'd prefer the SBC crippled device. Since I am bringing my own router to the party, force me to pay more for a device I am going to bridge anyway, and I'll be one unhappy camper.
When they figure out were all pretty smart or we know someone else pretty smart then the tech support for such a project goes to hell. But we don't care because that's farmed out to India by the way ... and as experience tells me ... they all of a sudden cannot hear your voice when you start to talk technical. Apparently the only voice that really works is a certified letter to hell south ... I mean AT&T dot conglomeration.
Tier 1 tech support is not technical; they aren't supposed to be. Read a simple troubleshooting tree and wait for the sub to respond. Throw any kind of advanced technical stuff at them and, if you could see their faces, they'd likely have that "deer in the headlights" look.

SBC wanted "plug and play" devices, and cheap ones. For anybody asking to get networking support, they'd sell the approrpiate CPE at a premium.
--
Norman

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro

2 edits
reply to steve 47
Ooops, nevermind. I hit the wrong reply button.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to aspicer
As NormanS said, the single DHCP address is the old SBC (now AT&T) way of doing things.

It is my understanding that the CD that accompanies the 2210-02-1022 also has the legacy BellSouth nta773r7_attse firmware on it. That firmware does not have the single DHCP IP address problem, you can explicitly setup the number of DHCP leases that you desire.

If you can not find the nta773r7_attse firmware on the CD, IM me and I can provide you with a download link.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
-- Thomas Jefferson