spc
Search similar:

uniqs
reelbigfish
join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA

reelbigfish

[Blackberry] Password security on Blackberry

Just a question for you all. When using a blackberry to access personal email, either mail through SMTP or Gmail through IMAP, how secure is your password? I assume it is sent unencrypted to POP, but what about IMAP to GMail? Just thought about this the other day thinking about all that is tied to ones Google account.

RiseAbove
Premium Member
join:2004-01-30

RiseAbove

Premium Member

said by reelbigfish:

Just a question for you all. When using a blackberry to access personal email, either mail through SMTP or Gmail through IMAP, how secure is your password? I assume it is sent unencrypted to POP, but what about IMAP to GMail? Just thought about this the other day thinking about all that is tied to ones Google account.
first of all why is that a concern? who is sniffing your packets from your cellphone and trying to figure it out? I think it would be extremely hard for your average joe to get your information I wouldn't worry about it.

Now if you are worried about your device at rest I would say in the security settings turn on device encryption so if someone jacks your phone they can't get any info off of it.
reelbigfish
join:2002-06-06
Boston, MA

reelbigfish

I guess it just makes me uneasy my password goes anywhere unencrypted. Sniffing off the wireless provider signal would be no easy task, but who knows where else it may go on the way to the destination. I guess the likely hood is very low and I use different passwords for different applications so even if it did get compromised, only one account would be affected.

Guess I'm just being paranoid.
tdumaine
Premium Member
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

tdumaine to reelbigfish

Premium Member

to reelbigfish
When your blackberry checks the email (on email accounts added to the device) it doesnt send anything. The BIS server checks then forwards the email to your device.