All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
CHAVOUSA
join:2010-06-07
Marietta, GA

CHAVOUSA

Static IP Block Setup with Netopia 3347-02 - Help!

I have a problem that I have not been able to figure out and need some assistance. I am very computer literate but not very familiar with Router/Modem Internet settings. I'll share some details that hopefully will shed some light on the situation and will encourage some ideas.

We have AT&T DSL at work. We recently purchased a block of 10 static ip addresses to be able to access our server via a VPN connection. I called AT&T and they assisted me in setting up the block of addresses successfully.

We did the DCHP range of addresses, we enabled NAT and we exposed the addresses. I also enabled the Wireless feature.

However, it seems that the DSL router (Netopia 3347-02) is assigning ip addresses from the block of static ip addresses to each device in the LAN (computers, laptops and printers) so when it runs out of ip addresses, it doesnt let any other computer or printer connect. We have about 15 devices in the LAN, but only 10 static ip addresses.

My understanding was that the static ip addresses were to be used to access our system remotely, and "virtual" ip addresses would be assigned to internal devices within the LAN. It is not happening that way. Is there something I missed in the setting, or perhaps something I missed in in explaning AT&T?

Any ideas will be greatly apprciated!

wayjac
MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy

wayjac

MVM

It sounds like the netopia is configured to only use the public ip addreses on the lan

The netopia's lan can also be configured to use private ip's on the lan and allow mapping public ip's to private ip's
CHAVOUSA
Marietta, GA

CHAVOUSA

no, it is actually using the ip addresss from the block of static addresses. once it runs out of addresses from that block, it doesnt assign anymore.

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to CHAVOUSA

MVM

to CHAVOUSA
What you want may be possible, but you are going to get the full manuals for this router, the intro guide is not adequate.

What you are looking for is what is called "one to many NAT" where one of your LAN static public IPs is set to NAT to private IPs thru one of the LAN ports.

Failing the above, you can always accomplish what you want by plugging an ordinary inexpensive NAT router into one of the Netopia LAN ports, assign its WAN one of your public IPs and, then set up a private network on its LAN.

If you go this way, expect problems with routing between machines with public IP addresses and your new private IP numbered LAN. These problems can usually be solved with routing statements.

Another option is to just get a larger block of static public IPs from ATT. Speaking of which, I don't know where you are getting a block of 10 IPs from. That is not a standard sized routable netblock.

They come in blocks of 8, 16, 32, 64, and so on. Three IPs of every block, regardless of size, are lost to overhead functions, so you have the number of usable IPs of 5, 13, 29, 61, and so on in the blocks above.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to CHAVOUSA

MVM

to CHAVOUSA
said by CHAVOUSA:

no, it is actually using the ip addresss from the block of static addresses. once it runs out of addresses from that block, it doesnt assign anymore.
I think I understand and I agree

The netopia can be configured so that its lan dhcp server uses private ip addresses(192.168.1.0) and the public ip traffic can be pointed to a certain lan device
CHAVOUSA
Marietta, GA

CHAVOUSA

I contacted AT&T last week and they were able to keep the private ip addresses for our LAN and point the Public Static IP address to a specific device within the LAN as WAYJAC mentioned, using the IP Mapping feature in the Modem/Router.

However, for somea reason when I type the public Static IP address anywhere, I get a "Page Not Found" or "Broken Link" message. The Antivirus Software is disabled in the device linked to the IP address so I dont understand why it is not connection.

The only thing that I see may be affecting this is the use of a switch. The DSL line is conencted to the Modem/Router, and the switch to the Modem/Router so it diestributes the ethernet connections throught the office.

It is frustrating working with AT&T because when they get to a point that they cannot figure out the problem, they simply disconect you or transfer your call to the tech support line without notifying the caller or the other tech, so you have to explain everything to the new tech receiving the transfer call. I dont know how they get away with this.

At any rate, does anyoene have any suggestions as to what else needs to be done in the router? Perhaps a special setting to tell the router there is a switch involved in the network? Any assistance is appreciated.

Thanks!

graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

Not sure what you are trying to do that does not work, but.....

If you have a service running on a private IP address that is port forwarded from a public IP address, then it will not be reachable from the private network using the public IP address or a hostname that resolves to that public IP address.

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac to CHAVOUSA

MVM

to CHAVOUSA
said by CHAVOUSA:

However, for somea reason when I type the public Static IP address anywhere, I get a "Page Not Found" or "Broken Link" message. The Antivirus Software is disabled in the device linked to the IP address so I dont understand why it is not connection.
If you are checking the setup/access of a server its best to use another internet connection like dialup access to troubleshoot

You also need to do port fowarding in addition to mapping a public ip address to a private lan ip address

What type of service are you setting up
CHAVOUSA
Marietta, GA

CHAVOUSA

I am not expert in networking. Our parent company in Europe has asked us to setup two static ip addresses. One so they can setup VPN Access for us here in the USA (I guess they dont want to create a single user id for each employee) and one so we can create a VPN connection for traveling employees to access "the server" (a shared computer)

wayjac
MVM
Indy

wayjac

MVM

VPN access means you'll need to setup vpn clients/servers

You should let the parent company know that you need help with this

Frustrated
@sbcglobal.net

Frustrated to CHAVOUSA

Anon

to CHAVOUSA
I just got off the phone with AT&T and they claim that they don't support anything except distributing the external, static IP addresses via DHCP... Which is, of course, moronic. When I told them we had set up 192.168.0.1 as our modem/router's internal address, they said, "We don't have that address anywhere in our system!" And then they bumped me up to their for-pay support service.