spc

spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

hawsmit

join:2010-06-08

[Connectivity] Comcast throttling for VoIP?

Hi all,

I'm looking to convert my telephone service for my small business over from land-line to all (or almost all) VoIP. We use Comcast HSI, but I want to know if VoIP is one of those online services which Comcast is throttling (as it might be competing with their phone service?). Does anybody have any insight, or good resources I should take a look at?
--
Business VoIP

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1

I've had Vonage VOIP now on Comcast connectivity for about two years now with absolutely no problems . . . except when Comcast is down of course.

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to hawsmit

They don't throttle ANYTHING.
However, unlike CDV, other VoIP service does use part (a very small amount per line/call) of your HSI Bandwidth.
More important, you'll need to arrange your network/apportion your bandwidth, to give priority to the VoIP usage (QoS) as VoIP is very time sensitive (both total latentcy and jitter affect call quality)

Youngjm

join:2002-04-01
Ada, MI
reply to hawsmit

I have used Viatalk for three+ years without issue. I do port forward some of the VOIP ports to the adapter.

My old router also had a QOS setting that I would enable and specify the VOIP ports and internal IP address of the adapter. My new router, an Airport Extreme, does not have an option for QOS but I have not had any problems.

jlivingood
Premium,VIP
join:2007-10-28
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:2
reply to hawsmit

We don't throttle. But feel free to test it yourself with:

»netalyzr.icsi.berkeley.edu/
and
»www.measurementlab.net/measurement-lab-tools

JL
--