Premium Member
join:2009-02-06
australia

ashrc4 to Link Logger

Premium Member

to Link Logger

Re: Google accused of criminal intent over StreetView data

»www.theage.com.au/techno ··· 3eh.html

"On the information available I am satisfied that any collection of personal information would have breached the Australian Privacy Act," Ms Curtis said."

"Collecting personal information in these circumstances is a very serious matter. Australians should reasonably expect that private communications remain private."

But she said the act did not empower her to impose any sanctions on Google. Instead, the company has given her an undertaking that it will:

* Conduct a "Privacy Impact Assessment" on any new Street View data collection activities in Australia that include personal information.
* Provide a copy of these PIAs to her office.
* Regularly consult with the Australian Privacy Commissioner about personal data collection activities arising from significant product launches in Australia.

Google has also today published an apology on its official blog"

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger

MVM

said by ashrc4:

»www.theage.com.au/techno ··· 3eh.html

"On the information available I am satisfied that any collection of personal information would have breached the Australian Privacy Act," Ms Curtis said."

"Collecting personal information in these circumstances is a very serious matter. Australians should reasonably expect that private communications remain private."

But she said the act did not empower her to impose any sanctions on Google. Instead, the company has given her an undertaking that it will:

* Conduct a "Privacy Impact Assessment" on any new Street View data collection activities in Australia that include personal information.
* Provide a copy of these PIAs to her office.
* Regularly consult with the Australian Privacy Commissioner about personal data collection activities arising from significant product launches in Australia.

Google has also today published an apology on its official blog"
That is interesting and I wonder if that opens the door for others to do the same as Google as certainly it sets a precedent. I think the reality is the cat is out of the bag and it ain't going back in the bag on its own and no one wants to lose that much blood putting the cat back in the bag.

Blake