spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

drak0

join:2009-05-16

1 edit

voip.ms: Anyone have GOOD inbound DID service?

Seems like several people are having issues when using voip.ms for their DID service. I just started the port of 2 DIDs to them... I'm a little worried now. I'm just trying to get a show of hands who have good inbound service from voip.ms.

I need their features... but I'm thinking about canceling the port and trying plugpbx.org out and keeping my numbers where they are (callcentric).

Anyone?

edit: plugpbx url fix

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
Mine seem to work just fine.

nightshade74
Yet another genxer
Premium
join:2004-11-06
Prattville, AL
reply to drak0
Smooth sailing....

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to drak0
In the past (this is going back a year or so) my problems with VMS were with making outbound calls.

I did NOT have a problem with their inbound (DID) service, and still don't.

I can't see technically how such a problem could occur. The retail VoIP providers are all using the same group of CLEC's as DID providers, AFAIK, such as XO, Level3, Global Crossing, etc.

Unless VMS started using some new DID provider.....

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
kudos:1
reply to drak0
My toll free DID works just fine. My local DID....well that's another story....

sream
Premium
join:2002-08-17
Portage, MI
reply to drak0
Flawless. Almost all of my calls come in on toll free but my 212, 206, and 310 have never had an issue.

vonnaone

join:2008-01-02
Burlington, ON

1 edit
reply to drak0
I've been a voip.ms customer for 2 years. Of late (the last 3 weeks), our friends have been having issues calling us on our DID. They have received fast busy signals and the "this number has been disconnected message". I have experienced it first hand trying to call home from work. The failed calls do not show up in the CDR reports.

I've been working with support but the problem still exists. My DID is provided via Allstream, and am currently contemplating porting to their new DID provider.

I must say, it is frustrating when someone finally gets through and they tell you they have been trying to reach you for several days.

Edit: When I personally called and received a fast busy signal, I could see on the VMS website that my ATA was registered so I don't think that my internet connection is a contributing factor.

AVonGauss
Premium
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit
reply to drak0
Unfortunately, all of the numbers I have with voip.ms are working fine, the phone rings every single time...

FWIW, the CLEC for all of my numbers is XO.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
reply to drak0
Is there a pattern here that the CANADIAN DID's have problems (drak0 and vonnaone) and the USA DID's are OK (everyone else) ???

vonnaone

Burlington, ON
Honestly, mine has been fine over the last 2 years. It is just recently that I have been having issues.

Support has been helpful but the issue persists. They have asked me (or more precisely the people calling me) to record the time, date and number called from when they could not get through so they can pass it on to the DID provider.

It is a bit of a PIA to ask people to do this for you and I wish there was a better way of tracking down the issue.

I know my DID is with Allstream. I am not sure who their new provider is but for a few Loonies I can port over and hopefully not experience further issues. Not sure if I should pull the trigger or try and wait it out and see if it self corrects...

drak0

reply to PX Eliezer70
said by PX Eliezer70:

Is there a pattern here that the CANADIAN DID's have problems (drak0 and vonnaone) and the USA DID's are OK (everyone else) ???
I'm in the US (San Diego) and I haven't had issues with voip.ms DIDs (I have a test DID which rarely gets used). I recently started a number port and it seemed a few people were having issues with their DIDs so I just wanted to see if most people have had good experience.

I'm glad to see most people are 100% happy.

vonnaone, is it possible to do an internal port? From Allstream to Vitality (isn't voip.ms a vitality resller?)?

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3
reply to drak0
We currently manage over 22,000 DID numbers. of course, some clients have had issues, we're honest folks and admit that some of the issues experienced have been on our side or the CLEC side, it's the nature of VoIP. We've always made our best to fix any issues our customer might have experienced, no matter if it was on our side or their side. We're a solid company.

If you're no longer confident in porting your numbers to VoIP.ms, let us know and we'll verify if the process can be cancelled, and fully refunded.

Regards,
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

vonnaone

Burlington, ON
reply to drak0
drak0, you are correct. VMS offered me an opportunity to do an internal port to their new provider. Not sure who it is. Still haven't decided if I should do it or not yet.

drak0

reply to MartinM
MartinM,

I really love how you post in this forum.

I'm going to go through with the port... if I have issues, I'm sure you'll hear about it. All I know is that my current setup has to change - sip forwarding from callcentric to voip.ms - I am having strange timeout issues (according to CC). There is finger pointing going on so I don't know who to blame. After the port, if there are issues, I will know for sure who to blame
Expand your moderator at work

kenja00

join:2009-01-28
reply to drak0

Re: voip.ms: Anyone have GOOD inbound DID service?

For me, porting over to VOIP.MS fixed ALL my problems I was having previously! Seriously, I don't think I've had any failed outgoing or incoming that they are at fault since my port.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net

1 edit
reply to drak0
No problems with DIDs here. I have two Vancouver DIDs from Allstream, one ported, one not ported, and a toll-free, but I'm not sure what carrier that's with.

m.

voiptalk

join:2010-04-10
Gainesville, VA
reply to drak0

I have 4 DID's with them for over a year and have had nothing but stellar service.

jason26

join:2010-06-08
reply to drak0
I have a few DIDs, and while the quality is all pretty good, its the latency that gets me.

If I route my Canadian DID (MTS Allstream) to echo and phone it, pretty much 0 latency. You can't tell. Likewise when I phone the DID from our landline and pick-up on my IP phone, you can hardly tell there is latency.

Now I have a few US DIDs. When I route to echo, I think they all have around 1 second plus before I hear the echo. So realizing thats actually 2x, I route it back to my IP phone and call from a land line. A good 1/2 second or more. Its actually got higher latency than when colleagues from New Zealand and Europe call me direct on my cell - which has amazingly little latency compared to days past. But if they phone me on a US DID we start stumbling again.

So a US DID that works as good as my Canadian one would be awesome.

Now this is with Voip.ms, who have an awesome feature set, and my Canadian DID works better than any other I've tried with another service or 2.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
I'm sorry to hear that, I would be glad to investigate the latency on your American Number if you can open a ticket with us and let me know the # via PM. Thank you.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

apn

join:2009-05-07
canada
reply to drak0
No issues here, either beyond the occasional unexpected CID info.

sanchito

join:2008-12-08
Santa Maria, CA
reply to drak0
No problems here.
--
Alan

jason26

join:2010-06-08
reply to MartinM
As I'm not a high usage customer I don't want to bother you guys too much

Can you let me know what an acceptable level of latency is? Not round-trip.. Say between 2 calls in NA? I assume there is some acceptable level that is not worth looking into if it is under that level, even if its not as good as some others.

Thanks.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP

1 recommendation

@jason26

It doesn't matter that you're not a high usage customer, 1-2 seconds is too much latency. On echo test, when you speak you should hear your voice almost at the same time, with a slight delay, well below 1 second. Let us know the number and we'll perform tests and fix the issue if it's on our side.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

TBaritone
Premium
join:2010-01-19
Redmond, WA
I experieced latency of up to two seconds a few times, but I noticed it only happened with a particular softphone on my wireless laptop. All my ATAs worked perfectly.

I chalked it up to the laptop having an intermittent wireless connection, so the softphone detected a significant amount of jitter or lost packets, and it reacted by increasing its buffer to an extreme size.

I haven't had the problem in months, roughly since I got a new wireless router. The new router also has QoS prioritization, so that could also have something to do with it.

greenall

join:2007-10-05
Orangeville, ON
reply to vonnaone
vonnaone

its interesting that you post this problem because I person report the exact same issue the other day. They said that when they tried my number, they got a "this number has been disconnected" message. Of course, when I tried it later, it worked. I think my number is probably an allstream number as well.

vonnaone

Burlington, ON
Too bad. I'm not sure what to make of it. Today one of the problem callers was able to get through with no issue (calling from Whitehorse) so maybe the problem has gone away. At any rate it was an intermittent problem.

I'll probably just stay with the status quo unless the problem persists. It is nice that the phone isn't ringing too often.

aloha_boy2

join:2010-06-11
Mississauga, ON
reply to drak0
I have ported two DIDs to Voip.ms for almost two months now. So far, my experience is somewhat mixed.

On the first DID ported, I have been trying to track down an intermittent connection issue. Basically, the dial tone would disappear sometime several times during the day. Technically, this is not really an inbound DID problem since all inbound calls will be redirected to the voice mail once the ATA becomes unavailable.

As for the second DID at a different location, I never had any inbound DID problem. However, when I attempt to call the 1st DID from my second DID, the call will always be routed to my cell phone. However, my cell phone is not even specified in any of the routing instructions. It may have been added at one point but has been removed since then. However, I can live around the problem by dialing the internal extension instead.

In both cases, I have attempted to contact their tech support several times for assistance. So far, I still have no success in fixing the two issues. Unfortunately, my experience with their support so far doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

Two short comings with regards to their support desk:
1) the support hours are very limited. And
2) the support desk doesn't seem to have a lot visibility to their won back end server to help me track down the "strange routing" issue or ability to remote monitoring/logging to track down the intermittent disconnect problem.

In any case, I am still staying with the service for now. I can understand the growing pain of a young technology company. And, with the syslog turned on the ATA, I am optimistic about tracking down my connection issues soon on my own.