spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ruzbayyhi

join:2010-06-11

Help please! (international)

Hi All, I have a couple of questions on email address mobility for a project I am doing for law school. I wanted to see if you can help me.
The main question I am concerned with is whether there exists (somewhere in the world) a legal obligation for an ISP to keep providing you with your old email address even if you move to a new provider.

More specifically, here are the three questions:

1. If I had a broadband account with an ISP and I wanted to cancel it - can I still just pay for email hosting and retain my old email address? if so, what is the difference in price between a full account and one with just email hosting?
2. After a broadband account is closed - do the ISP immediately delete the email account or do they leave it open for an additional "grace period"?
3. Do you transfer email addresses across providers? i.e., if I move from one ISP to another, can I still use my old email address on the servers of the new ISP?

I sincerely appreciate your assistance. Any supporting material (relevant laws, terms of your contract, regulations, etc.) would be of great help.
Sincerely,
John

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1

I would imagine, being in law school, that you would have access to a lot more of the pertinent legislation related to your questions. However, the answers depend on the legislation of each country, whether or not the provider offers any type of mechanism to continue paying for solely email, as well as many other criteria too numerous to try explain here. There is currently no requirement for ISPs to retain emails in the U.S. for any specific amount of time, although the debate is raised from time to time. You cannot transfer email addresses across providers since the email address would have to be listed in the new provider's routing tables - there's no benefit for them to do so and it would not be an easy task to undertake since each of the emails would have to be forwarded to the new provider manually, and even then there are configuration issues on the side of the new provider that would have to be manipulated. Again, there's no value to them for a one-off situation such as this.
--
Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise.
Surangama Sutra

ruzbayyhi

join:2010-06-11

Thanks.. What about other countries? I would imagine other countries would have a less laissez-faire attitude towards the issue?

ergibbs
To Be Free
Premium,ExMod 2001-05
join:2001-03-07
on the ocean
kudos:1

1 edit

Can't really speak for other countries