Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

JRosenfeld

join:2005-06-06
UK
reply to Mele20

Re: Microsoft forums reject posts "unknown error"

You can read the MS social groups in Outlook Express if you prefer, using the NNTP bridge available here:

»communitybridge.codeplex.com/

Also the microsoft.public news groups are still available from several news servers, such as freenews.netfront.net. Even some of the ones MS says are discontinued are still active.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 recommendation

reply to Mele20

quote:
My computer is only 4.5 years old.
Or three generations back, in computer terms.
quote:
Microsoft is replacing that EXCELLENT suite with some crap garbage on all OEM 64 bit computers sold after Jun 15 some shit Office 2010 starter package. I don't want Office. I want Works Suite. I have had several of them over the years and loved them. Microsoft goes DOWNHILL with each new OS and other software.
So, why do you use microsoft at all? There are plenty of alternatives. Many free. Most of which will run your hardware better than XP will.

It just seems like you jump through hoops to stay with a platform that is really showing its age, and is essentially EOL for support, from a company you don't like at all.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

No, you don't get it. You want to play the spend money constantly game and have plenty of funds to buy a $3000 computer every one to two years, fine, do so. I do not wish to play that game, do not have the funds, do not want the latest MS OS, etc.

I like programs developed for Windows. That is why I remain with Windows. You are also wrong about XP. It is supported until 2014. My Service Pack 2 is not but that is OK. I don't want SP 3. I prefer SP 1 actually and frequently use a virtual machine that has it installed.

The only reason to buy a new computer would be to get a CPU with hardware virtualization. I don't even have DVD write capability (just read) but I have no reason to buy an optical drive with that ability as I have needed to make a DVD only ONCE since I got this computer and that was to make backup copies of my Vista Ultimate disks (I have both 32 bit and 64bit with separate keys). I have managed ok with my virtual machines without hardware virtualization but I would like to have it as probably that is the main cause of instability on the host. So, as I said, when this machine's extended warranty cannot be extended further then I will buy another desktop with a CPU with hardware virtualization and plenty of RAM for the virtual machines. The irony though is that I don't look forward to that time like I did when I got my first computer in '99 or my second in 2003.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Nah, we just don't understand the concept of paying $3000 for a home computer in the first place

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA
reply to Mele20

I get it, I just don't get why you stick with something you clearly despise.

I use Linux personally, so I'm always current at no cost. I use Windows and Macos because I have to use them for work.

The last PC I "bought" was built from parts - $800 gets a core i7, 8gb ram, and 2TB disk, Dual layer dvd burner, along with a decent nvidia card - that was 9 months ago, the parts today might be $50 less.

Anyway, didn't want to take this off topic too far. On topic, you're likely to continue to see these kinds of difficulties and incompatibilities going forward.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI

said by JohnInSJ:

I

Anyway, didn't want to take this off topic too far. On topic, you're likely to continue to see these kinds of difficulties and incompatibilities going forward.
So, the error I got trying to post at Microsoft forums using Vista Ultimate is also because Microsoft has formally declared war on that OS? It is too old also and I should expect to " continue to see these kinds of difficulties and incompatibilities going forward."

Really? Geez....you are talking out of the top of your hat. Better stop now.

As for building a machine for a small amount ...great, but I don't want to learn to build a machine. Besides, another problem now is the lack of outstanding sound cards. A great sound card is essential to me, whereas, I don't care about a lot of other stuff like DVD burner. I have the original and best X-Fi extreme card but I gather all the Creative cards are poor now on Win 7 and the trend is toward built in audio only which is utter crap. I guess next will be the demise of fine video cards also...just crap machines that are cheap and have to be replaced every year or so ...never repaired as it would be cheaper to replace and that, of course, is just what the average ignorant computer user needs ...but not the rest of us.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

Once again, I thank you for referring to me as an 'ignorant computer user'.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Mele20

Yeah, my built-in 5.1 sound is utter crap. And yeah, I'm forced to replace my computers every hrmmm.. five years I guess but only because I have higher and higher demands on them (no, they don't just run Microsoft Office all, oh, wait, they don't run Microsoft Office at all). Oh, it's blasphemous in your world, I know, but I refuse to use anything LESS than a widescreen monitor. And oh, my new 1080p TouchSmart computer would probably send you screaming for the hills since it's so entertainment oriented it surely can't be used for anything USEFUL like telecommuting, maintaining a widely used open source software project for public libraries around the U.S. etc.

The fact that you are so unwilling to see beyond your own personal focus of what is a "good" computer is truly astounding! Keep up the good work

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to dave

said by dave:

Once again, I thank you for referring to me as an 'ignorant computer user'.
That phrase gets thrown around a lot. Ironic, isn't it?

As far building a machine goes....what's wrong with having someone else build it? Still cheaper than buying a comparable machine off the shelf.
--
The Alien in the White House

15,448 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

nirvansk815
Premium
join:2001-06-18
united state
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

I finally figured out that was Proxo.
Just an honest observation... It seems like Proxo is the root of many of the problems you seem to have with Microsoft software.
--
There's so much to be thankful for...How can anyone be sad?

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
kudos:1
reply to La Luna

said by La Luna:

As far building a machine goes....what's wrong with having someone else build it? Still cheaper than buying a comparable machine off the shelf.
Depends if you're going to have a friend build it for free (or for a six pack or something), or actually pay a shop to build it. I used to build some PCs for friends for free, but I've really stopped doing that lately...

One of the biggest reasons I stopped is that my friends were buying cheap crap components, and then blaming me later on when things didn't work right, or were slow, etc... If they looked at the list of things I recommended, they'd say they could just go buy a computer cheaper than that at Best Buy. While that is definitely true, I know the PC I would build for $1000 would be a ton better than the tower you'd get from Best Buy for the same price... Better power supply, better motherboard, better video or sound card (if it was needed).

I would find it very hard these days to build a $3000 PC though. Anything that expensive is just ridiculous and over the top. If you got the top-of-the-line Intel processor, you do pay around $1000 just for that. But you can go down a couple steps, maybe sacrifice 10% processor performance, but save about 70% of the cost. It is never economical to buy the top end of anything, you always pay a premium price for a small performance gain.

Having said all of that, I don't know why Mele20 can't post to the social groups site. I've never had any problems with it, and obviously, tons of other people are posting there just fine. Newsgroups went away simply because most users today don't even know about them, and find getting help through a web browser to be much easier.

Mele20, unfortunately, you do have to admit the platform you are running on is getting a bit aged right now. Sure you got word 2002 as part of works suite 2006, but even at that time, you should have known you were getting an older version of software (which is why you saved a lot of money compared to buying office). I know a lot of people don't like change, but with computers, you don't have much choice. You can continue to run whatever you like, but you can't expect to get great support when things you have are 3 (or more) generations old.
--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse Michigan RoadRunner Turbo(15000/1500), Farmington Hills, MI

JohnInSJ
Premium
Aptos, CA

said by cmcasey79:

You can continue to run whatever you like, but you can't expect to get great support when things you have are 3 (or more) generations old.
THIS is exactly what I meant. Nothing to do with your proxy issue and the microsoft web support system. 100% to do with you running essentially VERY old software on FAIRLY old hardware, and Microsoft based to boot. MS is 100% about pushing people off the 10 year old code, because their 10 year old code (XP, Word 2002, IE 6) is suffering from code rot (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot).
--

cmcasey79

join:2000-12-10
Allen Park, MI
kudos:1

2 recommendations

said by JohnInSJ:

said by cmcasey79:

You can continue to run whatever you like, but you can't expect to get great support when things you have are 3 (or more) generations old.
THIS is exactly what I meant. Nothing to do with your proxy issue and the microsoft web support system. 100% to do with you running essentially VERY old software on FAIRLY old hardware, and Microsoft based to boot. MS is 100% about pushing people off the 10 year old code, because their 10 year old code (XP, Word 2002, IE 6) is suffering from code rot (»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_rot).
Not only is it old(er) Microsoft software, but it's probably 20-30 other programs that are doing who knows what with the system. I would really like to see accurate numbers of how many "windows problems" or "microsoft problems" are really their problems, or problems with other software on the system. In this case, it appears 3rd party software (Proxo) was causing the issue about posting in the forums.

I know Mele20 is very sensitive to security (I've read some of her posts in the last year or two), but in my experience, security software is the WORST offender when it comes to causing computer crashes, or general weirdness. It's easy to blame microsoft if things crash or don't work as we expect, but it's not always their fault (unless they are supposed to take the blame for every piece of software written for windows). The internet (and to some extent, the windows operating system itself) expects certain responses, and when the responses aren't what was expected (to protect your privacy, or security, etc...), you can get weird problems. I do run way less security software now that I used to, just because it was causing so many weird issues in the past.

I have settled upon a router, the built in win7 software firewall, and microsoft security essentials antivirus. Those, combined with good browsing and email reading habits, have been doing a good job for the last year or so. I know they aren't foolproof by any means, but I've decided that having a computer that doesn't crash is better than having a computer secured like fort knox, but giving random errors and crashing all day.
--
- cmcasey79, BrightHouse Michigan RoadRunner Turbo(15000/1500), Farmington Hills, MI

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY
reply to cmcasey79

said by cmcasey79:

said by La Luna:

Depends if you're going to have a friend build it for free (or for a six pack or something), or actually pay a shop to build it. I used to build some PCs for friends for free, but I've really stopped doing that lately...

There's lots of people out there who can build machines for a resonable price, it doesn't have to be a shop. I'd rather do that when buying a new desktop than pay some company a ridiculous amount of money for a pre built machine. Plus, you get exactly the parts you want; however, the builder should have input on nixing, as you say, crap components. They should have some standards to avoid people complaining in the future.

I had someone from right here on DSLR build me my last desktop, running XP Pro. I got a really great machine that can be upgraded to Windows 7 with very little trouble. I've just been too lazy to do it yet. I have the Windows 7 disk sitting in a drawer.

Laptops, different story. I bought my two laptops in stores. Very happy with both. I just gave my son the older one running XP Home to use and he's perfectly fine with it for his needs.
--
The Alien in the White House

15,448 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to darcilicious

With your "builtin" sound how can you do all the great things that I can do with my X-Fi Extreme card?

You want to duplicate your TV it sounds like. I don't have a TV, I don't watch movies, I have a computer to stimulate my mind. A TV kills your mind and soul and the more you try to turn a computer into a media entertainment "center" the same can be said about that computer. READ, READ, READ for nourishment of your brain and soul...stay completely away from brain rotting movies and other junk.

I can see from your posts that the rotting is rather advanced...watch out or you will have Alzeheimer's in no time.
--

Mele20
Premium
Hilo, HI
reply to nirvansk815

said by nirvansk815:

said by Mele20:

I finally figured out that was Proxo.
Just an honest observation... It seems like Proxo is the root of many of the problems you seem to have with Microsoft software.
Well, of course! Proxo frees me.
--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS
reply to Mele20

As someone with a graduate degree, you don't ever have to worry about my brain, it rocks And not all TV is brain-rot-inducing either -- we watch stuff like the PBS series on National Parks in 1080p and 5.1 sound -- ooooh, soooo bad for my brain!

P.S. if I needed the capabilities of an X-Fi Extreme sound card, I guess I would have one, which is really the point I was trying to make but I guess your head is too full of books and letters to have grasped that

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
Warwick, NY

I can't figure out why one would even need an "X-Fi Extreme" sound card when when doesn't do anything that would require it on the computer. No movies, no TV, probably no games or music, no nothing. On board sound would be more than enough.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
Forest Grove, OR
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

Heh. Back in the day, we used an external Sound Blaster Audigy box for optical sound, etc. It was actually a real PITA but back then, hardware was king and you gave it the space it deserved. Or something

Well, I'm off to work where my primary computer is a LAPTOP heaven forbid (but you know, mobility is cool and all that, and it's even useful for training and presentations out on the road) and to play with various Linux servers and Python and fun stuff like that.