All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

kalirion
@verizon.net

kalirion

Anon

Speed being throttled somewhere, support says nothing wrong?

We have the 768kbps plan. When everything is fine, the Westell modem user interface shows 864kbps down, 160kbps up (I'm guessing there is some overhead involved, since download speeds never go past 768kpbs.)

Ever since last Friday, the modem has not being able to connect at anything but 512kbps. I've restarted it multiple times, no help. Called tech support - they scheduled a 24 hour line monitoring after which I got a robo call that "The issue has been resolved." Well nothing has changed.

Does anyone know what is going on, and how to get it fixed?

Transceiver Information Downstream Path | Upstream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 512 | 160
Margin (dB) 16.0 | 27.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 63.5 | 31.5
Transmit Power (dBm) 13.7 | 11.8

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

If you have a NID, what do the stats look like when you plug the modem into the test jack?

kalirion
@verizon.net

kalirion to kalirion

Anon

to kalirion
Nope, don't have a NID.

Just spent over an hour on the phone with tech support again, finally scheduled a technician for Thursday.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612

MVM

Post back and let us know how the tech visit goes.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96 to kalirion

Premium Member

to kalirion
You are pretty far out, and I wouldn't be all that surprised by issues maintaining sync, your stats do seem pretty decent and should have no problem with the full 864 speeds. Probably a bad line card. FYI, you are correct about the overhead. 768 is provisioned at 864 to compensate.
mechanics600
join:2010-04-16
Worcester, MA

mechanics600 to kalirion

to kalirion
One additional change might help. Ask the field tech to run a dedicated CAT5 cable to your jack where the modem is connected. Also ask that he add a whole house filter which will remove the need for individual filters at the voice phone jacks.
kalirion
join:2010-06-14
Reston, VA

kalirion

Dedicated CAT5 cable? Not sure they'd go for that, especially its a condo is on the second floor and the jack in use is on the opposite side from that central phone closet.

We already have the "homerun" filter solution from a previous technician visit a year or two ago.
kalirion

kalirion to mechanics600

to mechanics600
Well the technician showed up, didn't find anything wrong with the line. Connected a device (was that the NID?) to the jack and it showed a speed of 840.

So the conclusion was that it is "likely" to be a problem on the modem side. So I should try resetting the modem (gotta make sure I know the password first...), and if that doesn't work, order a new modem through Verizon.

And if THAT doesn't work.... I don't know what. No FIOS in the area, so the only broadband alternative we have here is Comcast, and that's a route I definitely want to avoid.