Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

koolman2
Premium
join:2002-10-01
Anchorage, AK

Slamming car doors

So for the last year and a half I have been fighting with almost every passenger in my '08 Civic about slamming the door when they enter or exit. My sisters, my friends; everyone seems to think that car doors must have a significant force behind them in order to close. I did get my most common passenger to stop, but only after a very nasty snap on my part. Keep in mind that I had asked him every time he did it, before he did it, to not do it, and it would still happen.

My question is this: what actually gets damaged when a door is slammed? Am I simply being unreasonable? I would love to just let it go, but as I am obsessive-compulsive and anally retentive, it is extremely difficult without having facts placed before me in the contrary. If there is damage, I would like to know to what, so that I can actually give details when questioned.

I have tried looking it up online, but the only thing I can find is "it damages the door," and "I hate it when people do that." I would love your input. Thanks in advance.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2
I'm not sure it damages the door, but I get annoyed at the same thing. I have an 07 Mazda 3 and one of my friends in particular really likes to close the door with some force. He's driven older cars for about 10 years so I guess he just got used to it.

south1178
Premium
join:2001-12-17
Cleveland, OH
reply to koolman2
I've had it damage the post where the door latches and had the door become out of alignment. It's not good for it but after time it does take it's toll.
--
Buckeye Stangs - Ohio Mustang Club

FordTech1
Premium
join:2005-06-22
Katy, TX
kudos:3
reply to koolman2
Over a period of time, it can cause damage to several components. Mainly the striker and latch assembly. It could also damage internal window components such as the window regulator,glass runs and even the internal motor components as they are mostly plastic. It's least likely in short term any damage will occur. It's aging of the components that are subjected to the impact such as the force of a slamming door is when the damage will occur

Jahntassa
What, I can have feathers
Premium
join:2006-04-14
Conway, SC
kudos:4
reply to koolman2
I've seen a couple of cars where the windows have come out of the track due to a slam. Or broke some of the plastic components between the window and the regulator hardware.

Boogeyman
Drive it like you stole it
Premium
join:2002-12-17
Seward, AK
reply to koolman2
In my moms old Daytona coupe with long heavy ass doors, it eventually warped the hinge so you had to lift the door slightly to get it to latch.

Being in AK, I would be concerned about it in the winter time because of ice/snow build up on the door can add weight. At least thats what the mechanic told my mom when she asked about it. We were in AK at the time, back in 94 or so.
--
Im Your Boogeyman, Thats What I Am

Rungel
Run A Mile Live Awhile
Premium
join:2001-12-05
CT
Reviews:
·Charter
·AT&T DSL Service
reply to koolman2
I know what you mean. I have an '04 Accord and the passenger side arm rest where buttons for window and power locks are mounted on. Well the glue seems to have weakened. And it's rising up. I think door slamming did that. it's not so bad right now but someday will have to be fixed.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to koolman2
So I'm not just out of my mind? Thank God.

Thanks guys.

cahiatt
Premium
join:2001-03-21
Smyrna, GA
reply to koolman2
It boggles my mind that so many people have no grasp of tactile feedback. I mean you open the door and as you close it have a pretty good feel for how heavy it is. Why do so many people just slam the shit out of them like it's a mid 70's Buick with buggered up hinges?

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
kudos:1
reply to koolman2
Some doors are weighted different and require more force to get them to close properly, if a person is used to having to really slam the door then gets a door that will close if the wind blows right it will seem like they are crazy.

But there are extremes and some people will never learn.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island
reply to koolman2
Well I'm happy to read this thread because this is also a pet peeve of mine... My wife, in particular, likes to slam the doors shut as hard as possible... She also has a habit of dumping loose change in the interior door pockets, thus spraying the change over the floor and seats when she slams the door hard enough!!
--
Go Mark Martin!

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to 61999674
I completely understand this and simply deal with it the first few times. I start to get really annoyed when people just ignore what I say and continue slamming away.

Gotta Do What Ya Gotta Do
Premium
join:2000-09-02
Here
Usually, you can get the feel for the door when opening it as to hard hard it needs to be closed.
--
It is better to have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

Crescent
Premium
join:2003-01-22
canada
reply to koolman2
I Have to slam the door so it will latch if the windows are all up
1997 Nissan pickup
Very slight crack open in the window 1/8th inch and a gentle tug on the door closes it.
To minimize the damage I bring the door almost closed then yank hard. That way if say the back sliding window was open and I didn't notice I don't get that big bang.

Passengers often do NOT slam it hard enough when the windows are closed. I usually crack mine open just before they give it a second try.

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
reply to koolman2
I think we can all consider "slamming" differently.

I've yet to see damage due to "slamming" but as I said what you call slamming and what I do, and what everyone else does can all be very different... I've pulled (no joke) as hard as I could on doors to close them (same from the outside too can't get much more "slamming" than that) with no damage... but this was not everyday.

If it is "my '08 civic" tell em, you slam the door you can gtfo and walk.

It can't hurt NOT to slam it, why find out what lets loose on a 08 civic?

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium,MVM
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31
kudos:2
reply to koolman2
said by cahiatt:

It boggles my mind that so many people have no grasp of tactile feedback. I mean you open the door and as you close it have a pretty good feel for how heavy it is. Why do so many people just slam the shit out of them like it's a mid 70's Buick with buggered up hinges?
lol...thanks for this thread.
I now have it sitemarked so I can show my wife that I'm not the only one in the world who is driven totally insane by this practice.
I've even physically demonstrated to her several times in a row how easily it will close, simply by the weight of the door itself...a gentle little pull, and it's closed and latched.
She nods her head and says: "ok, if it really bothers you that much".

But it's futile...the very next time she gets in the car, it's WHAM!!!
Yep, "like it's a mid 70's Buick with buggered up hinges".

I'm thinking I might stick her head in the door opening next time and see if she prefers the "gentle close and latch", or the "Gorilla slam"! (Just kidding...I mean, you know I'm kidding, right?)
--
I had a life once.....now I have a Computer and a Modem.

I support BP
Premium
join:2010-02-11
America
reply to koolman2
What is your definition of "slamming"?

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC
reply to koolman2
Yep, I hate slammers too.
I usually give slammers the "what the hell was that" stare as soon as they do it, which usually gets an apology out of them. I can't understand why people feel the need to slam the door especially with these modern cars. I haven't proven this yet but I feel if someone constantly slams a door to close it, there will come a time when the door will actually need to be slammed to be closed properly.
Don't get me started on slamming the trunk ... sometimes my wife thinks that the trunk on her Accord is the hood of a eighteen wheeler
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
I'm sure it's true. My car was a dealership rental and had about 4,500 miles on it when I bought it. The driver door needs more to close it and sometimes pops back open a bit. The passenger door closes just fine, and the back seat doors close perfectly.

matt5

join:2001-10-06
Lagrangeville, NY
said by koolman2:

I'm sure it's true. My car was a dealership rental and had about 4,500 miles on it when I bought it. The driver door needs more to close it and sometimes pops back open a bit. The passenger door closes just fine, and the back seat doors close perfectly.
Proves nothing about slamming a door, you have no idea how many people screwed around with it... etc... the hinges could very well be bent from people leaning on it while open, we do not know. Not saying using excessive force is good... just saying no evidence is made towards it being from slamming.

I have a truck that does exactly that, because the door no longer lines ups (its dropped down from rot) door pops open etc, easiest way to close it is slam it from the outside while lifting up.

You get the right overweight (maybe not even) person leaning on that door while it's open and poof, door no longer shuts correctly.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
Fair enough.

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to koolman2
i also have this problem with my girlfriend... to make matters worse i have an 05 toyota that you can pull the door shut with your pinky finger (and she slams it). then i also have a 91 chevy 2500 that you do need to slightly slam it and she does not use enough force and i tell her the door is not shut, then says i thought you told me not to slam it

a lot of people just are oblivious to the things in the world around them (me too-- just different things like people's emotions and such)

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA
reply to koolman2
being in AK your passengers are also probably used to riding in trucks more i would think

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX
reply to koolman2
Slamming the door is not going to damage it.
To damage the door you would have to shut it way faster than the average slammer.
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to mr_slick
said by mr_slick:

being in AK your passengers are also probably used to riding in trucks more i would think
Negative. Most of my passengers have cars. My sister has an older model Explorer.

koolman2
Premium
Anchorage, AK
reply to r81984
I don't mind the door closing with a bit of force. I care when the force shakes the entire car and blows out eardrums for passengers still in the car.

r81984
Fair and Balanced
Premium
join:2001-11-14
Katy, TX

1 edit
Shaking the car does not matter.
I seriously doubt the noise is loud enough to damage your hearing.
--
Your behavior is inconsistent with your desire to be treated like everyone else.

wilbilt
Pronto Resurrected
Premium
join:2004-01-11
Oroville, CA
reply to koolman2
Some people are slammers. It drives me nuts.

My wife slams doors, slams the dishes around in the sink (and has broken quite a few), stomps around on her heels, throws things down when she can easily set them down, etc.

My daughters are the same way.

I like things peaceful and quiet, but many people around me seem to have a pathological need to make as much noise as possible.
--
We were taking a vote when the ground came up and hit us.

Hiker
Zeus
Premium
join:2002-10-27
Lebanon, NJ
reply to koolman2
Ring me up as feeling your pain as well. I hate the door slam.

mistakenID

join:2000-11-07
Salt Lake City, UT

1 recommendation

reply to natedj
said by natedj:

Yep, I hate slammers too.

Don't get me started on slamming the trunk ... sometimes my wife thinks that the trunk on her Accord is the hood of a eighteen wheeler
I realize you were making a point but:

Big truck hoods are very easy to close. NO slamming needed and if I caught anyone slamming the hood down on my truck, they "might" only get an ass chewing.

The doors on my truck close tight but easily. I get in, roll the window down, put hand on outside of door and push to close. That's how easy it latches. I have a real dislike for door slammers also.