uniqs

tempnexus
Premium Member
join:1999-08-11
Boston, MA

tempnexus

Premium Member

Which bank/credit card company provides temporary fixed CC #

I recall that back in the day Citi Group provided Temporary Credit Card numbers with fixed amounts attributed to it.

This allowed you to perform online purchase for let say $120 and actually allocate just $120 to that card. That way if the CC # got stolen the thief would not be able to charge anything to it.

I think they called those Virtual Numbers or something like that.

Which banks or credit card companies still carry those?

Dersgniw
Disco Crunchin
MVM
join:2001-08-10
behind you

Dersgniw

MVM

Citi still has this, but not on all of their cards. Discover also has it.

Gbcue
Premium Member
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA

Gbcue to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
My Citi CC does.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to tempnexus

Premium Member

to tempnexus
Both my Bank of America and Citi cards have this.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
join:2001-02-05
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 edit

jmorlan to tempnexus

MVM

to tempnexus
FIA (formerly MBNA) has this on some of it's cards, but it depends on the bank whose brand it's under. Many banks outsource their credit card business to FIA. Apparently PayPal also offers this service.

More information and discussion and poll: »[Poll] Do you use Virtual Credit Card Numbers?

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by jmorlan:

FIA (formerly MBNA) has this on some of it's cards, but it depends on the bank whose brand it's under.
I thought FIA was owned by Bank of America? My Charles Schwab Visa has this capability, it is called "Shop Safe".

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

jmorlan

MVM

said by swintec:

I thought FIA was owned by Bank of America?
That's basically true, although the relationship and history of the two is rather murky.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBNA
My Charles Schwab Visa has this capability, it is called "Shop Safe".
Notice your card says it's issued by "Charles Schwab Bank." Guess who actually provides and services it? FIA! You can access it online either through Schwab or through FIA. If you don't believe me, check out:

»www.ibsnetaccess.com/NAS ··· nDisplay

Fidelity Investments has the same deal with FIA to provide and service their credit card.

swintec
Premium Member
join:2003-12-19
Alfred, ME

swintec

Premium Member

said by jmorlan:
said by swintec:

I thought FIA was owned by Bank of America?
That's basically true, although the relationship and history of the two is rather murky.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MBNA
My Charles Schwab Visa has this capability, it is called "Shop Safe".
Notice your card says it's issued by "Charles Schwab Bank." Guess who actually provides and services it? FIA! You can access it online either through Schwab or through FIA. If you don't believe me, check out:

»www.ibsnetaccess.com/NAS ··· nDisplay

Fidelity Investments has the same deal with FIA to provide and service their credit card.
Actually the card says Issued by FIA card services right on the back.

jmorlan
Hmm... That's funny.
MVM
Pacifica, CA
ARRIS BGW210-700
Obihai OBi200

1 edit

jmorlan

MVM

said by swintec:

Actually the card says Issued by FIA card services right on the back.
Yes, but it's in fine print and for me it's hard to read through the card number impressions. But in large print on the front the card says "Charles Schwab Bank" with Schwab logos as decorations and on the back is the "Talk to Chuck" logo and the web link is schwab.com/creditcard.

I think most users could be forgiven for thinking the card was actually issued by Charles Schwab Bank, and if you ever call the number on the back, the CSR's answer the phone as representing Charles Schwab.