spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Sven_M

@shawcable.net

[BC] Shaw HDTV/Motorola DCX3400

Hope some of the Shaw gurus here can help me with the following questions from a newbie!

Got a 46 LCD TV and Shaw/Motorola DCX3400 PVR....using HDMI from Motorola to TV

1) How come it's showing 1920X720 instead of 1920X1080 on the info panel?
2) For non HD channels, is it normal to see black borders on both sides of the screen? (HD channels are showing full 16:9 all right!)
3) Using composite, both SD and HD channels are all showing in full screen 16:9, why?

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB

Shaw's HD is only 720P, not 1080P. The rest, not too sure. Someone else with more experience will chime in.

Anonimuz

join:2008-12-08
canada

Shaw's HD is in 1080i. When connected via HDMI, the tv will dictate what it is capable of displaying and makes the box output 720p

When you are on a non HD channel, your TV is defaulted to 'normal' and is showing a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame. You can correct this by putting the aspect of the TV to 'full' Not sure for the DCX, but with the DCT you can hit menu on the front panel when it is off to bring up the aspect menu. Change the 4:3 override to stretch.

Don't use the composite connection.

Shaw TV questions are much better answered over at digitalhome.ca/forum

Sven_M

@shawcable.net
reply to rustydusty

said by rustydusty:

Shaw's HD is only 720P, not 1080P. The rest, not too sure. Someone else with more experience will chime in.
OK, thanks Rusty!

One more question, is LCD TV more meant for playing video files from PC rather than watching TV? cause...dunno why, streaming video files from my PC (Windows 7 x64) produces stunning PQ, even when the video resolutions are only in 640X480, 720X480, 720X404, 720X406... and of course videos in 720/1080 are eyes popping!.... this leads me to assume that LCD TV is more meant for streaming video files from PC rather than watching TV, cause SD channels are really bad (even worst than my old tube TV) and not many channels are broadcasting in HD. Here in Vancouver, only about 15 basic HD channels (199 - 236) and they are NOT always broadcasting in HD all the time, and less than 20 paid HD Plus channels available (211 - 225), also NOT broadcastin in HD all the time!

Sven_M

@shawcable.net
reply to Anonimuz

said by Anonimuz:

Shaw's HD is in 1080i. When connected via HDMI, the tv will dictate what it is capable of displaying and makes the box output 720p

When you are on a non HD channel, your TV is defaulted to 'normal' and is showing a 4:3 picture in a 16:9 frame. You can correct this by putting the aspect of the TV to 'full' Not sure for the DCX, but with the DCT you can hit menu on the front panel when it is off to bring up the aspect menu. Change the 4:3 override to stretch.

Don't use the composite connection.

Shaw TV questions are much better answered over at digitalhome.ca/forum
Thanks for the info Anonimuz!

Had to download the manual from Motorola instead of from Shaw...managed to change 4:3 OV to stretch, but only able to set 1080i instead of 1080p, cause there is NO 1080p option/for selection...why? I'm 100% sure my LCD TV is 1080p (Samsung LN46C650), anything to do with the HDMI cable? cause I'm using the HDMI cable supplied by Shaw (DCX3400).

Thanks.

video guy

@shawcable.net
reply to Sven_M

There are absolutely zero source broadcasts in 1080p. All broadcasters are 1080i or 720p. This is coming from the broadcaster (eg. NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.). This has nothing to do with Shaw. All providers will be the same in that regard, be it cable, satellite, or iptv. The differences between providers will be the amount of compression used. The only 1080p source at the moment is a Blu-Ray disc.

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to Sven_M

Is it 1080i? The reason there is no option for 1080p is because shaw's HD stream is not 1080p.

Sven_M

@shawcable.net
reply to video guy

said by video guy :

There are absolutely zero source broadcasts in 1080p. All broadcasters are 1080i or 720p. This is coming from the broadcaster (eg. NBC, ABC, Fox, etc.). This has nothing to do with Shaw. All providers will be the same in that regard, be it cable, satellite, or iptv. The differences between providers will be the amount of compression used. The only 1080p source at the moment is a Blu-Ray disc.
Ahhhh video guy, thanks for the details explanation, now I understand

Yes Rusty, as video guy explained, only BD is in 1080p!

Best regards.

babybunnies

join:2010-01-17
Kelowna, BC

1 edit
reply to Sven_M

Direct TV in the USA tried 1080p for all their "on demand" movies for a while, but it used so much bandwidth on their brand new multi million dollar specially designed satellite that it's now only available for premium new release movies.

Even specially designed satellites can't handle 1080p - it's going to be a while before we see the step up from broadcasters.

And yes, ALL Shaw HD channels are in 1080i, and have to have at LEAST 80% HD content to be considered an "HD" channel, unlike other unnamed providers that consider a channel "HD" with as little as 60% HD content.

You may also have to adjust the user settings in the menu (Power > Menu) to make sure that the 1080i display option is set up - this is an easy setting in the box but can be tricky to get into - Shaw tech support walked me through it the first time I had to get in there, but now it's a breeze if I need to change anything.

TierX

join:2009-01-20
Canada
kudos:8
reply to video guy

said by video guy :

Well, not exactly true ..

While 1080i60 and 720p60 are the ATSC broadcast standards, almost every show (ie: Lost, Breaking Bad, True Blood) on TV is shot on digital at 1080p24. To broadcast 1080p24 the source is telecined to 1080i60.

With the advent of 120hz tv's, most of these tv's can do film detection, where they can lock onto the pulldown sequence, reverse it, and re-create the original 1080p24 source; hence you are seeing true 1080p.

Don't believe me ? Use the firewire port on your Shaw box and capture the mpeg2 ts stream, then on a PC use avisynth with mpeg2dec and decomb; with the appropriate settings you can obtain the original 1080p24 source (this is only true if the program is shot on film or digital 1080p24).

While there is mention of bluray, most people forget about hd-dvd, on hd-dvd the 1080p24 source was actually stored on the hd-dvd disc as 1080i60. If you had a 120hz tv and forced 24p output on the hd-dvd player, the hd-dvd player would do a reverse pulldown, to bring it back to 1080p24.

The only true statement is for the foreseeable future, there won't be anything shot, or broad-casted in 1080p60, as that actually does use more bandwidth.

Also 1080p24 actually uses less bandwidth than 1080i60, even the best mpeg2 or mpeg4-avc encoders have a 10-20% efficiency loss when encoding as interlaced vs progressive.

tom23

@shawcable.net
reply to babybunnies

On the DCX 3400, you can change between 1080i and 720p via a button directly on the box. You don't need to go into the user settings.