Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dispatcher21
911 Where is your emergency?

join:2004-01-22
united state
kudos:1

foxnews.com not working for anyone else?

FF 3.6.4 and IE 8 on Charter. As it is loading, it keeps stalling out on beta.ads.foxnews.com and the page never loads. Anyone else having problems? I can google fox news friends and family and take an indirect route to the page (but the Home button stalls out) but anything direct wont load.

c1590

join:2010-02-28

Yup, get the same thing on verizon. Add beta.ads.foxnews.com to adblock plus and refresh.

This happens all the time to sites I frequent. It's almost always some slow ass ad server causing the problem.

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22

1 edit
reply to dispatcher21

It loaded on my Mac but it took a loooong time. I'm on AT&T uVerse if it matters.

UPDATE: The homepage is slow for me but once I'm in the links within the website work normally.

mocycler

fatness
subtle
Premium,ex-mod 01-13
join:2000-11-17
fishing
kudos:14
reply to dispatcher21

said by dispatcher21:

FF 3.6.4 and IE 8 on Charter. As it is loading, it keeps stalling out on beta.ads.foxnews.com and the page never loads.
It begins loading quickly for me and then stalls on beta.ads.foxnews.com a long time before finally opening.
--
I don't have a problem!

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to dispatcher21

Slow here too!
Might be under some type of hack attack.

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
reply to dispatcher21

It is loading normally for me (ATT DSL). I use Ad-Muncher, so that may make a difference.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

3 edits
reply to The Pig

said by The Pig:

Slow here too!
Might be under some type of hack attack.
I tried access using Google Chrome with and without AdBlock turned on and experienced the same delay.

I then put a specific user created block on beta.ads.foxnews.com in to the AdBlock add-on and the foxnews site popped right in without delay.

Info on beta.ads.foxnews.com:
06/19/10 12:30:29 dns beta.ads.foxnews.com
Canonical name: qa.drupal.tpa.foxnews.com
Addresses: 66.230.193.124

OrgName: Neucom, Inc.
OrgID: NEUC
Address: 412 East Madison Street
Address: Suite 1000
City: Tampa
StateProv: FL
PostalCode: 33602

06/19/10 12:32:55 ping 66.230.193.124
Ping 66.230.193.124 ...
1 failed
2 failed
3 failed

Ad site may be down.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

Alcohol
Premium
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI
kudos:4
reply to dispatcher21

Took 45 seconds to load here.
Maybe someone is ddosing them.
--
I found the key to success but somebody changed the lock.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
kudos:3
reply to dispatcher21

It's working fine here, loads instantly. I'm using NoScript, maybe it's blocking bets.ads.foxnews.com.

Expand your moderator at work

Gbcue
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:8

Re: foxnews.com not working for anyone else?

Works fine for me, quick too.

chadrob30
Howdy
Premium
join:2002-04-24
Fort Smith, AR
reply to dispatcher21

Mac and FF here, no go.

Pulitzer
Premium
join:2010-05-15

1 edit
reply to dispatcher21

Very slow for me too on any browser and at the same points of loading content.

I've frequented the site often for a long time. So like other sites that I also go to one sort of "absorbs" a lot of the "name" of the content being loaded and it "labeled" at the lower left hand side of the browser as loading.

At all the spots it "stalls" it has in the content being loaded the term beta.xxxx.xxxx and so on.

For instance after the main page finally fully loads click on to go to one of the show sections of the site, such as The O'Reilly Factor" and it loads 90 percent on the load bar very quickly than gets hung up for a long time on another "beta.xxx" content. I don't recall seeing that named content before either.

So, I just assumed that their site currently is testing some Beta site or content for the site and hence the delay. But then again I really am not very knowledgeable about how websites works and if my assumption about beta testing is accurate.

ADDENDUM: The problem we are all talking about started either yesterday or the day before.
--
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
— Voltaire

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5

1 recommendation

If you are using an Ad Blocker of some sort, just include:
beta.ads.foxnews.com
in your customized blocks.

That should solve your problem.
--
Are you happy with your rep in Washington, DC?

Pulitzer
Premium

2 edits

said by FFH:

If you are using an Ad Blocker of some sort, just include:
beta.ads.foxnews.com
in your customized blocks.

That should solve your problem.
Thanks for the tip!

But note it hangs at a variety of places besides beta.ads.com and it has gotten worse over a period since at least Thursday. I don't use an ad blocker for instance in Safari which is the fastest loading browser of my three and it quickly loads 9 of 11 items for the Fox opening page then it too just hangs and takes a very long time to eventually load.

Also, I visit MSNBC, Fox, CNN and BBC a lot too. And for years I've noticed that Fox stands alone for periodically having glitches for a lot of people.

Not only do they have more glitches than the other sites mentioned but even though a lot of people experience the same glitch at the same time, simultaneously others do not have a problem and eventually, in days or weeks in the case of the video player one time the problem just goes away.

ADDENDUM: I ran it on FF and it takes about 45 seconds for any visible content to load on the opening page. On Safari I just gave up after about 45 seconds. Also once you get in it will hang on certain other links that has beta. something different than ads.

Ah, life on the Internet.
--
"There are some that only employ words for the purpose of disguising their thoughts."
— Voltaire

dispatcher21

united state
reply to c1590

said by c1590:

Yup, get the same thing on verizon. Add beta.ads.foxnews.com to adblock plus and refresh.

This happens all the time to sites I frequent. It's almost always some slow ass ad server causing the problem.
Good info on the adblock plus. Thanks.

La Luna
RIP Lisa
Premium
join:2001-07-12
Warwick, NY
reply to Pulitzer

said by Pulitzer:

Thanks for the tip!

But note it hangs at a variety of places besides beta.ads.com and it has gotten worse over a period since at least Thursday. I don't use an ad blocker for instance in Safari which is the fastest loading browser of my three and it quickly loads 9 of 11 items for the Fox opening page then it too just hangs and takes a very long time to eventually load.

Also, I visit MSNBC, Fox, CNN and BBC a lot too. And for years I've noticed that Fox stands alone for periodically having glitches for a lot of people.

Not only do they have more glitches than the other sites mentioned but even though a lot of people experience the same glitch at the same time, simultaneously others do not have a problem and eventually, in days or weeks in the case of the video player one time the problem just goes away.

ADDENDUM: I ran it on FF and it takes about 45 seconds for any visible content to load on the opening page. On Safari I just gave up after about 45 seconds. Also once you get in it will hang on certain other links that has beta. something different than ads.

I've never experienced the issues you are talking about and I don't know anyone else who has either. I have no idea what "more glitches" that you are talking about means. Videos always seem to work fine also.
--
The Alien in the White House

15,489 DEADLY TERROR ATTACKS SINCE 9/11

Pulitzer
Premium

said by La Luna:

said by Pulitzer:

I've never experienced the issues you are talking about and I don't know anyone else who has either. I have no idea what "more glitches" that you are talking about means. Videos always seem to work fine also.
In the case of the videos around the time of the release of IE 7 the FoxNews video player wouldn't play for a lot of people. A thread was even started on it. And as I mentioned other people posted with the same problem while simultaneously others would post they weren't having any problems. (Just like the current problem!)

(By the way are you having any problems right now loading FoxNews main page?)

If you rolled back IE 7 to IE 6 the videos played. I don't recall if for those having problems if the videos played on other browsers but my impression was they did not. But I'm not sure.

There have been other times like now with the content on FoxNews. Some people are having problems others are not. And in my case it definitely isn't a ad blocker or control issue. Also I find it interesting that the content it is hanging on seems to coincide with the newness and the problem.

Also I all most live on the Internet despite my modest knowledge of sophistication in Internet and computer matters plus the problem I am talking about such a not loading, slow loading, video player not working are not something that happens like every day or every week but much more infrequently, just noticeably more than any problems on the other sites I mentioned.

Oh, there is actually is what I consider a common problem on Fox I just thought of--that is you click on the link and it goes to a different story than the link it is supposed to point too. They fix it relatively quickly but in my use of the site it happens at least once a week I would estimate. I use Fox much more than any other news site all though I use quite a few.
--
— Voltaire

OCZ
The Former Pocket

join:2009-05-15
Saint Paul, MN
reply to dispatcher21

Fine here.

Google Chrome 5.0.375.70
Windows XP SP3
Comcast HSI (12/2)

Jeffrey
Connoisseur of leisurely things
Premium
join:2002-12-24
Long Island
reply to dispatcher21

Unfortunately it loaded for me. But it took a bit.

FF 3.6.3 w/ Ad-block.

Pulitzer
Premium

1 edit
reply to dispatcher21

It is now loading normally for me AND in watching the content load in the status bar; to the best of my knowledge and observations I do not see anything that has the word "beta" in during the loading.
--
— Voltaire

dispatcher21

united state
reply to dispatcher21

Looks like its working normally again for me now even without the adblock workaround.

Phoenix2088

join:2002-12-04
Strongsville, OH

1 recommendation

reply to dispatcher21

It's loading fine here, which is a travesty.

Pulitzer
Premium
reply to Pulitzer

There certainly appears to be a link between any content trying to load with word "beta" in it. When it was there on the main page many people had problems loading. Some did not.

Now beta simultanously disappears with the page loading normally.

However go down to the bottom of the page where the shows are listed. Click on the link to the O'Reilly Factor. On the status bar 90 percent of the page loads immediately and then is sticks or hangs on, wait for it, beta-drupal.foxnews.com and it takes another 30 to 45 seconds to load.
--
— Voltaire