uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dogwood
Premium
join:2001-01-14
Texas

1 edit

A/C Compressor/Fan Run Capacitor

The capacitor in my condenser unit has failed, and I need to find a replacement tomorrow, Sunday.
Do Home Depot or Lowes carry such items?
FYI, it a:
GE 97F9897
60uf 5uf 440VAC
If the "Home" stores don't, any suggestions as to where I could find one on a Sunday in a big city like DFW?
Besides stealing one from the neighbors unit.;)
--
Proud Member of Team Discovery

nunya
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Charter
·surpasshosting

You're not going to get one at Lowe's Depot. If you must have it on Sunday, you'll have to pay someone for "hot shot" service (e.g., come unlock the doors and sell you a part). Expect to pay $75-150 just for this service.

For that much, you might call around and see if any HVAC companies won't gig you for a Sunday call (on Father's Day, no less). They may have the part on-truck...but I digress-
You'll probably want to wait til Monday.
I haven't met a supply house for any trade open on Sundays. That doesn't mean there isn't some fluke there in Dallas. The best you can do is google HVAC suppliers.
--
Looks like Reverend Wright got his wish - God Damn America.
Nancy Pelosi - House Minority Leader 2010
Harry Reid - Senate Minority Leader 2010

Dogwood
Premium
Texas

Thanks for saving me the trip to HD/L.
I'm going to call a couple local A/C service companies in the morning, see if I can work something out, if they have one.
It's supposed to be 100 degrees again tomorrow, so yes, I need it, but I guess I'll survive until Monday if none are available.
--

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

Don't limit yourself to HVAC. Any electric motor type place should also have one and they will probably be much cheaper. I really doubt finding one on Sunday. Oh yeah, buy two!

Dogwood
Premium
Texas

It is one of those caps with 2 circuits in it, one 60uf for the comp., and a 5uf for the fan.
I could get 2 separate caps and jumper the line sides, and squeeze them into the housing, but those probably have the same availability around here.

I just got off the phone with a recommended A/C service guy, he has a cap and is en-route, it'll cost me, but it's getting pretty warm in here already.
--

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

It's damn hot!.

Yesterday today and all next week 100.

My AC man retired or I would have giving you his number.

Dogwood
Premium
Texas
reply to Dogwood

Considering it was Sunday, and Father's Day, $130 is not bad.
The owner of the company came out, he was personable and was a Harley owner also, so we talked bikes, rides and ride groups.
He did check the system pressures also, they were fine.
The house is cool and I am happy.
--

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK

said by Dogwood:

Considering it was Sunday, and Father's Day, $130 is not bad.
The owner of the company came out, he was personable and was a Harley owner also, so we talked bikes, rides and ride groups.
He did check the system pressures also, they were fine.
The house is cool and I am happy.
Nice. Don't lose that guy's number!
--
It's wierdo, not weirdo. Yes, I know that's not the 'proper' spelling of the similar english language word.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4
reply to Dogwood

Yep, definitely don't lose his number. When you find a good contractor, it is always a good thing. So many less than reputable ones out there. That was a very good price for a part and weekend service.
--
"If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone." ~ Burt Munro

SandShark
Long may you run
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-23
Santa Fe, TX
kudos:3
reply to Dogwood

Man, that's a damn good price. I'm with the others. Don't lose his number. FWIW, a one hour service call today and a 60/5 MFD 440 VAC capacitor would have cost you ~$200 if I had made the call.

cowspotter

join:2000-09-11
Ashburn, VA
kudos:2

My sister had a failed capacitor on Saturday. Called Sat night and tech came out Sunday morning. He charged $550 for the capacitor and $150 for "minor wiring repair" because one of the wires had a burned end. All he had to do was cut 2", strip the end and crimp on a new spade connector. Ouch.

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
kudos:4

$700 for a that repair? Something tells me you are mistaken somewhere along the line. Not even the shady guys would be charging that.
--
"If you don't go when you want to go, when you do go, you'll find you've gone." ~ Burt Munro

HarryH3

join:2005-02-21
kudos:1
reply to cowspotter

OUCH! Retail on the capacitor is in the $12-20 range. $550 for one should be criminal...

cowspotter

Ashburn, VA
reply to Lurch77

I'm not mistaken. There was 1 part replaced, the capacitor, and a simple wire repair. These prices don't even reflect weekend pricing because that was a separate trip charge.

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04
reply to Dogwood

How do you guys know the capacitor failed? Don't they normally get weak and start leaking (electrically), instead of a catastrophic failure?

I had all three capacitors in my condenser unit replaced a few years ago. But I'm just wondering how you're diagnosing the problem.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

In my previous life, I used to work on pump systems that had starting capacitors that would drop like flies once we started getting hot days. So, I've seen my fair share of blown capacitors.

When my compressor wouldn't kick on, I checked the capacitor in my unit and the bottom was bulged out instead of being flat. This is a telltale sign of a blown capacitor.

Sometimes they will also leak (oil) when they are blown, and you can always test them with a meter.

--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

cowspotter

Ashburn, VA
reply to Dogwood

This capacitor failed by leaking fluid out the top. It also burned one of the wires.

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

How do you guys know the capacitor failed? Don't they normally get weak and start leaking (electrically), instead of a catastrophic failure?

I had all three capacitors in my condenser unit replaced a few years ago. But I'm just wondering how you're diagnosing the problem.
I've referred to this as a popped hat, and I am pretty sure I heard that from somebody else. Somewhat related Wiki article ... »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capacitor_plague
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your Lat-Long:
Geocoder

Dogwood
Premium
Texas

1 edit
reply to Bobcat79

said by Bobcat79:

First clue was the Cap was passing the 120VAC to the motors, but nothing was happening, just a very quiet hum from the compressor.
As I was removing the cap I noticed that the aluminum housing was bulged at the top and bottom, this is from overpressure during the internal short circuit.
The blowout port was not breached.
I checked it with a capacitance meter and there was none, a direct short from the common terminal to the compressor terminal as well as from the com to fan terminals.
You could check the cap with a capacitance meter as your regular PM, it wouldn't hurt.
Replacing the run caps on a regular basis seems like a good idea now, and I'm ordering a spare this week, also install a start cap kit is good and should lengthen the run cap's life.
--

Bobcat79
Premium
join:2001-02-04

My symptoms were that the compressor would not start the first time in the morning. Once it got started, it was good to go for the rest of the day. Replacing the caps solved the problem.

I used to work for a company that made electronic equipment. We had a guy who did testing, and was very good at hearing the sizzle from a cap that was installed backwards. He had the timing down perfect. When that happened, he would call someone over and ask if they smelled anything burning. Just as the person started sniffing around the equipment - POP! - the end of the cap would blow off.

zen1

@optonline.net
reply to John97

said by John97:

In my previous life, I used to work on pump systems that had starting capacitors that would drop like flies once we started getting hot days. So, I've seen my fair share of blown capacitors.

When my compressor wouldn't kick on, I checked the capacitor in my unit and the bottom was bulged out instead of being flat. This is a telltale sign of a blown capacitor.

Sometimes they will also leak (oil) when they are blown, and you can always test them with a meter.

that failure is due to the current the caps have to endure, hot days makes it worse because the caps get even hotter, the fix for that is to parallel 2 caps of half the capacitance, this way, each cap only has to pass half the current.. you get the same capacitance as using 1 cap btw.