Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Mike in NC
Premium
join:2007-03-25
Beaufort, NC

[Price] Single outlet - confused

We are moving from NC to OR. In NC, Time-Warner bills a flat rate for our non-HD service, though we have outlets in several rooms.

The Comcast Web site says: "Cable and High-Speed service limited to a single outlet." From reading other posts, I understand (a) that means one outlet for Cable and one for HSI, and (b) one can use a router (as we do here) to overcome that for HSI service. OK.

But what about TV? The OR house we are renting seems to have numerous cable outlets. If we want to have two TVs, will we need to rent an extra converter box and pay a charge for having the second? If we decide to get HD service, will we need to buy or rent special equipment for each?

I am quite confused as to the implications of the limitation.

djcrazy
Premium
join:2009-08-05
Minneapolis, MN
Reviews:
·Comcast
·T-Mobile US

You can get up to 2 DTA's free of monthly fees for additional sets however, if you want all the channels like your main outlet (including any premium channels you subscribe to and the HD channels) along with the on demand access you will have to rent more boxes. I do not think there is any other service fee however.

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

1 edit

said by djcrazy:

You can get up to 2 DTA's free of monthly fees for additional sets however, if you want all the channels like your main outlet (including any premium channels you subscribe to and the HD channels) along with the on demand access you will have to rent more boxes. I do not think there is any other service fee however.
You may have to pay $6-$8 outlet fee for tv2 and $8 HD fee (may be part of the deal with the HSI) Get 2 HD boxes same price as SD + hd box.

HD DVR is $16 (promo price lower)

bicker

join:2007-05-10
Burlington, MA
reply to djcrazy

DTAs are restricted, by law, to standard definition outputs. There are efforts to get approval to put HD-capable DTAs into the field, but that is still being considered by regulators. Assuming permission is ever given, it isn't clear what if any additional fee will apply to upgrade from SD DTAs to HD DTAs.

real_goose

join:2001-04-13
Apollo Beach, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
·Verizon FiOS
·localphone.com
reply to djcrazy

said by djcrazy:

You can get up to 2 DTA's free of monthly fees for additional sets
Everything regarding pricing will depend on the rules (some say whims) of your local system. It is likely that as a new subscriber you will not be offered free DTAs, they seem to only be for existing subscribers on a system that undergoes a digital conversion. It never hurts to ask when establishing service, that is when you have the most bargaining power.