uniqs
share rss forum feed

mr_slick

join:2003-05-22
Lynnwood, WA

bye bye low priced fiber :(

Got this email a minute ago....

Dear xxxxxx,

DSL Extreme would like to take this opportunity to thank you for being a loyal client. It is with our deepest regret that we inform you that as of July 1st, 2010 we will no longer be able to sell DSL Extreme Fiber service to new clients. Despite the exponential growth that we experienced over the past year, Verizon has opted to discontinue our long term Fiber contract prior to its expiration and remove the product from their wholesale channel. As we feel the Fiber service is a great product and as shown by our significant growth, one that clients would like a choice in whom they purchase it from, DSL Extreme made extensive efforts to negotiate this with Verizon. Despite those efforts and as there is no regulation in place requiring them to sell the product via a wholesale offering; Verizon came to the decision that they will no longer allow us to offer this service to our clients.

All clients using this service in areas that were recently purchased by Frontier Communications will need to be transitioned directly to Verizon by July 1st, 2010. As your locations falls within that area, in the next few days you will be contacted by a DSL Extreme representative as well as an agent from Verizon to discuss this matter with you in more detail and assist in transitioning your service to Verizon’s retail offering. We have put measures in place to ensure that Verizon makes the transition process as seamless as possible for our valued clients.

Regardless of this unfortunate situation, DSL Extreme maintains a good relationship with Verizon as one of their largest wholesale broadband providers. We will continue to work with them and look forward to hopefully being able to service you again in the future.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Thank you for your anticipated patience and support in dealing with this difficult situation.

If you have any further questions please contact our customer service department at 800-774-3379.

Regards,

DSL Extreme

so now i have to go back to verizon which will become frontier and pay at least $10 more or go to comcast and also pay more?

Yikes2000

join:2001-08-15
Irvine, CA

said by mr_slick:

so now i have to go back to verizon which will become frontier and pay at least $10 more or go to comcast and also pay more?
Always happens when there is a lack of competition.

ds1337

join:2010-04-14
reply to mr_slick

Haha my usual luck. A few weeks ago I went through the loops to get hooked up with DSL Extreme and now that...

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA

yes i changed over not too long ago also. what a hassle.

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
reply to mr_slick

I wonder if this is only in the areas that Frontier is taking over?

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA
reply to mr_slick

so i called up...

and here are my options

verizon: 15/5
for $55/mo w/ 2 yr contract

comcast: 12 (15 w/ power boost?) / 2
for $33/mo for 6 months then $54/mo. i don't think this is a contract though.

will probably stay with fios since i know it is reliable (no slow downs yet)

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA
reply to sashwa

Re: bye bye low priced fiber :(

said by sashwa:

i believe so

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by mr_slick:

said by sashwa:

i believe so
Why would you believe so? They clearly state that it applies to areas outside Frontier's service area:
quote:
As your locations falls within that area , in the next few days you will be contacted by a DSL Extreme representative as well as an agent from Verizon to discuss this matter with you in more detail and assist in transitioning your service to Verizon’s retail offering.
If it didn't apply, they wouldn't have added that nor sent the email.

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA

said by cdru:

said by mr_slick:

said by sashwa:

i believe so
Why would you believe so? They clearly state that it applies to areas outside Frontier's service area:
quote:
As your locations falls within that area , in the next few days you will be contacted by a DSL Extreme representative as well as an agent from Verizon to discuss this matter with you in more detail and assist in transitioning your service to Verizon’s retail offering.
If it didn't apply, they wouldn't have added that nor sent the email.
i think that sashwa was asking if non-frontier areas are affected. which i stated i did not think so. the letter only speaks about frontier takeover areas. i am in a frontier takeover area.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7

said by mr_slick:

i think that sashwa was asking if non-frontier areas are affected. which i stated i did not think so. the letter only speaks about frontier takeover areas. i am in a frontier takeover area.
Doh. I misread that then.

mstrlogcrw

join:2002-11-23
Granada Hills, CA

I recieved a similar letter for my parents connection in a regular Verizon area, except the date for switchover is March 2011.

newFiberuser

@cnmcresearch.org
reply to mr_slick

Am in DC area, and the email here is that service will transition in March 2011

sashwa
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to cdru

I missed this sentence in mr_slick's email he shared with us:

All clients using this service in areas that were recently purchased by Frontier Communications will need to be transitioned directly to Verizon by July 1st, 2010.

But with mstrlogcrw's and newFiberuser's posts, it seems like it's happening in other Vz areas but at later dates.
--
TH ~ NE ~ EPN ~ NC ~ TD

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA

1 edit
reply to mr_slick

Update:

i just received a call from DSL Extreme that kind of contradicted the email. The rep said I could stay on with them until March 2011..... I guess the problem and what I need to decide now is do I jump ship before July and get in a 2-yr contract for $55/mo or wait and see what Frontier will offer.

I am inclined to think that Frontier's March offering will be more $$$.... thoughts?

I am also considering the fact that the rep may have given incorrect info....

I'm confused now. I just want reliable 10/2 or faster for as little cash as possible

EDIT: The rep called back and said he gave me bad info. he said i could not stay on with them after July 1st with the possible exception of copper service (which is unacceptable)..... so i am back where i started. i am thinking i should get in on a 2yr w/ verizon.

ds1337

join:2010-04-14
reply to mr_slick

Mmh I replied to your post earlier thinking I got the same email but I didn't realize mine was different. It doesn't mention Frontier, just that Verizon has discontinued DSL Extreme's contract as well as stopping all wholesale deals now and in the future. Read on.

DSL Extreme would like to take this opportunity to thank you for being a loyal client. It is with our deepest regret that we inform you that as of July 1st, 2010 we will no longer be able to sell DSL Extreme Fiber service to new clients. Despite the exponential growth that we experienced over the past year, Verizon has opted to discontinue our long term Fiber contract prior to its expiration and remove the product from their wholesale channel. As we feel the Fiber service is a great product and as shown by our significant growth, one that clients would like a choice in whom they purchase it from, DSL Extreme made extensive efforts to negotiate this with Verizon. Despite those efforts and as there is no regulation in place requiring them to sell the product via a wholesale offering; Verizon came to the decision that they will no longer allow us to offer this service to our clients.

DSL Extreme will be able to continue providing you Fiber services at your existing location until March 31, 2011. We are currently working on a process with Verizon to ensure the smooth transition of your services to Verizon in March of next year. As the time gets closer we will be reaching out to you with more detailed information on the transition process. In the meantime you can continue to enjoy your DSL Extreme Fiber services.

Regardless of this unfortunate situation, DSL Extreme maintains a good relationship with Verizon as one of their largest wholesale broadband providers. We will continue to work with them and look forward to hopefully being able to service you again in the future.

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you. Thank you for your anticipated patience and support in dealing with this difficult situation.

If you have any further questions please contact our customer service department at 800-774-3379.

Regards,

DSL Extreme

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA

where are you located?

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01
reply to mr_slick

It's interesting that we seen no comment from dslextreme representative

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

What more is there to say? They want to re-sale Vz Fiber but Vz won't let them.

silentlooker
Premium
join:2009-11-01

said by darcilicious:

What more is there to say? They want to re-sale Vz Fiber but Vz won't let them.
Are they going to maybe offer some special deal to people to switch to dsl? Just personal note of sorry

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by silentlooker:

Are they going to maybe offer some special deal to people to switch to dsl?
Sounds like a great question to call up and ask.

Just personal note of sorry
Not sure if you mean DSLX needs to apologize or what, but they pretty much have said "sorry" if you read the original letters sent out to affected customers.

mr_slick

Lynnwood, WA
reply to mr_slick

Re: DSL copper service

the rep i spoke to DID seem to imply that i could stay on with them under a copper (DSL) connection. for me however, i do not want to go back to a 3000/768 line after tasting the sweetness of 10000/2000.... perhaps a 7000 download would be enough if they could provide it, but if i recall correctly the upload limit of DSL is around 1000kbps which is too slow.

even the 2000 up is a little slow so perhaps i will enjoy the 15/5 that i will probably end up getting (if i can ignore the extra $12/mo )

nickdigger

join:2009-06-13
reply to mr_slick

Crap.
Got a letter today that verizon is raising my rate by $5/mo.
Went to dslextreme.com to review their Fiber offerings.
Couldn't find any fiber options; only DSL. Hmm.
10 minutes of searching, i finally find this thread.
Crap.

It's bad enough losing customers & their future revenue & extra services, but I hope DSLX didn't lose too much of their marketing/etc expenses used to sign those customers. Been there, done that, after losing a wholesale arrangement on 7 days notice.