spc
Search similar:

uniqs
desgnconcpts
join:2003-09-24

2 edits

desgnconcpts

[Equipment] BYOM, DOCSIS 3.0, Motorola SBG6580 Chicago

I've read the FAQ's here -- and been to rcn.com to try and get info on this subject. All it says there is if a modem is DOCSIS 2.0 capable, then it is OK. I emailed RCN support and got back a cryptic message that basically said the same thing -- even though I specifically asked about the modem/model # I wanted to get.

I want to buy/install the new Moto SB6580 all-in-one modem/wireless router. This device is DOCSIS 3.0 class but also backwards compatible with 2.0 and 1.x. It is just now becoming available through Best Buy.

I've had great success with Moto's wireless G router (not made any longer) and would love to get this device and not have several components/power supplies to deal with.

Can one of the RCN techs that support this site tell me if RCN will allow this device? Supposedly it has been approved by other cable co's but their acceptance in various markets has varied quite a bit. Some support people give customers no problems when given the MAC address and let customers install -- others will absolutely not do it. So it seems to be hit and miss.

This is Chicago (60614) market.
negativeduck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-14
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

Re: [Equipment] BYOM - Updated List? DOCSIS 2.0 - Chicago

It should work without an issue but Assuming there isn't anything crazy going on. We're not currently tracking firmware's or versions on that model but functionally it should be just fine.

But I can say that I don't see another type of that model connected to the network yet. So you would probably be the first.
desgnconcpts

1 edit

desgnconcpts

Hello Bryan,

I have signed up for and had installed, the Motorola SBG6580 all-in-one DOCSIS 3.0 modem and wireless router. So, please add that to your list of BYOM's that work. After setting up an install time between 11am-2pm and getting NO PHONE CALLS the tech would be late (hence, I lost a full day of work) -- and after more than 6 calls to local customer care, they finally sent a team out to do my install about 4:20pm! Once he called in the S/N and MAC address, I was online in seconds.

Here's my technology question for you: I have MACH10 service (I'm in 60614 if that helps) and I really thought I would see the modem lock onto multiple bonded channels to give me consistent 10mb service.

However, the modem indicates that it has only locked on to a single channel -- and the speed tests sort of indicate that: after trying RCN's test and others, speed showed as about 7.6mb/s max speed.

Is there something that has to be set in your system that would allow me to bond to multiple channels and get full speed I am paying for? You can message me privately if you need details but I'm hoping that I will see better speeds than this -- as it is really not much better than ATT's regular DSL over phone wire speed.

Thank you.
(to Mods: maybe you can change the title of this thread -- really s/b BYOM, DOCSIS 3.0, Motorola SBG6580. That would make it much easier for other folks to find info about this device)
negativeduck
Premium Member
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

If you goto il.speedtest.rcn.net does it tell you if docsis 3.0 is available in your area? It should say it at the top of the page.
desgnconcpts

desgnconcpts

Hello Bryan,
I don't recall seeing anything on that page that said what was available. Unfortunately, it will be a few weeks before I can personally check (apt for college, off-campus) and I suspect I won't get a clear answer unless I check it myself.

Is there any way to post an image of what that screen (or a similar screen from another location that would show that DOCSIS 3.0 is available) would look like?

I just want to make sure I know what/where to look. Is 7.6mb/s a typical speed on MACH10 at 4:45pm, does it vary that much?
negativeduck
Premium Member
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

Click for full size
Indeed screenshot attached

Regarding the speeds such is always the case. was it a test against our servers or a third party's? Speeds fluctuate so often we like to see multiple tests if possible (obviously not every 5 minutes). This is actually why we prefer people to use our testing system, because when the test is ran we can see everything the exact time of day chassis node grouping overall network and can compare all aspects. When tests are run against third party systems we don't get nearly the amount of information and can only compare to relative tests by others in a specific area.
desgnconcpts

desgnconcpts

Bryan,
Thank you for the image -- gosh, I wish I could recall if it showed the message about the speed dials! As soon as I can, I will check and let you know.

I did, however, test on the exact website (il.speedtest.rcn.net) that you posted and did see those gages. We tried a few other speed sites to check against -- they all gave the same speed (between 7.6 and 7.8 mb/s) but I know from past experience that it is always best to use your service's speed check if they have one for the very reasons you mentioned. If I can get one of the roommates to check for me (and better yet, to capture and image), I will post back (and will post it as soon as I can).

I really do appreciate your replies!
negativeduck
Premium Member
Centreville, VA

negativeduck

Premium Member

if you can get him to just tell you or send you the encoded mac that it shows at the bottom of the page I can look it up. That's really all I need to get you more info.