how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mlcampbe

join:2002-03-28
Decatur, AL

[CATV] How to get new interactive guide update

I have 2 HD boxes at my house. The explorer 3250HD that I have had for 6+ months recently got the interactive guide updated. The new explorer 4250HDC that I have had for 1 week has not. Is there a way to force the new box to be upgraded? I called charter and they had no idea what I was talking about.

nann

@charter.com

same here, then my new box just quit working, then the replacement box woundn't work... everything has been fine for over a week, now today the 3250hd is cycling from red lines to what looks like high def SNOW! Never thought I'd see high def snow...

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
join:2003-11-11
Birmingham, AL
reply to mlcampbe

said by mlcampbe:

I have 2 HD boxes at my house. The explorer 3250HD that I have had for 6+ months recently got the interactive guide updated. The new explorer 4250HDC that I have had for 1 week has not. Is there a way to force the new box to be upgraded? I called charter and they had no idea what I was talking about.
No. Charter is pushing these updates according to models/serials/ in blocks or groups.

I have the same problem,.. Every box is updated but the 2010 manufactured SciAtl 8300HDC DVR on the main television. However the two 3200's are updated, and a 3250HD is as well.

So apparently the 8300's and perhaps your 4xxx series (or certain ones) haven't been sent to signal to update. It is as simple as that.

The signal is sent for the IPG to be updated through an entire software/firmware flash. It is pretty major,.. it is no longer 'explorer DHCT'.. -- The software is by a company called "Aptiv Digital, Inc." and our entire system is run through the "Passport" software they created. In essence, as far as I can speculate, our Standard explorer software got wiped for this system.

But, doesn't matter who makes it.. it is 'pushed' so to speak.. Charter sends a signal out to all boxes from xxxxxx to yyyyyy (which would be certain models, and not others).. these boxes get the signal, which has been the mail icon. If left alone eventually they will power cycle themselves and update. (This is all done through the coax amazingly enough).

Thing is.. this is just like you downloading a MASSIVE update to your favorite webbrowser that changed the image and some function.. in analogy --

And, no.. I called Charter as well about something else and mentioned it as an aside.. and the guy said.. "Program Guide?.. Hmmm... no we didn't send out any new brochures." -- It went downhill from there, rofl.

But, the only thing you can try to speed things up , and this will only work IF the box has been sent the signal to pull the update,..

1) Power cycle the box. Unplug the cord from either the back of the box, or from the wall (not just the power button, but completely without power.) -- Leave it out for 10 seconds or so, and put back in. --- Watch, you'll know fairly soon if you have any luck.

2) Call and tell the automated agent "Box Reset" -- She will say something like.. ok let me look up the details of your account.. (or something along those lines). Then tell you to make sure your box is plugged in, and powered on. Then you just continue with voice commands and in a few seconds she will say "Ok the signal has been sent.. it may take up to five minutes for the box to receive the signal so please be patient." (Something similar to that ) --

This is exactly what an agent would/could do.. and the only thing they could try, if they tried at all.

Though the way this update works, imo, I don't think a signal reset helps or hurts the odds.

As an aside -- All boxes are supposed to be finished and updated by July 1st. So,.. that is about a week to push it out on these final models. (Though their intention doesn't mean there isn't some unexpected delay) --

I would think any delay is due to issues with these specific models having trouble of some sort with the software. IE: Maybe a HD DVR box is losing some Recordings,.. or other such problems that would create some extremely 'irrate' customers. Maybe they are working to fix a bug for some issue(s) like this.. and will push it out when things are 'stable'.

Someone knows -- but typical Charter "communication" -- is the lack of. The Customer Service reps don't even seem to know the guide exists,.. and so on. I guarantee those working at your Headend know exactly what is going on. That communication gap has always existed, and I have no idea why they haven't bridged it yet (from local to CS). But I digress...

Bottom line -- just wait,.. (of course after you try the simple steps that has a slim chance of helping ).

Good luck,
--
Life is not a problem to be solved, but a reality to be experienced.

zed2608
Premium
join:2007-09-30
Cleveland, TN
kudos:1
reply to mlcampbe

if you post in charter direct forum they may be able to push it to you otherwize just wait

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
Birmingham, AL

said by zed2608:

if you post in charter direct forum they may be able to push it to you otherwize just wait
Actually don't bother with Charter direct, other than to make it more 'known' if you are into the awareness thing.

I've talked with them and the updates are being pushed in blocks of serial numbers -- so when specific boxes roll up to be pushed it will become updated,.. this process is to be done in June in our market, and should be completed by 7/1/2010. I was told that if after that date the firmware was still not 'pushed' then to contact them again.

The CS agents will have no ability to push firmware -- this is done in a completely different local level, and has nothing to do with Customer Service. IE: They wouldn't give it to standard Tier 1 CS reps anyway as more damage could be essentially done with the ability to push firmware updates (forcing).. Not to mention it isn't how the process even remotely works,.. so no tie into the systems present are available.
--

Voltron64

join:2004-09-01
Monterey Park, CA

Does anyone have pics of the new guide? I'm curious to see what they look like. Is this a nation wide uprgrade?

AMDUSER
Premium
join:2003-05-28
Earth,
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

Check the first post here: »[CATV] Rovi Passport IPG User Guides for Cox SA/Cisco DVR/STB

It says Cox, although that gets changed to the cable provider you have.

Passport Echo is quite stable, as [Time Warner Cable] used it until they upgraded everyone to Navigator; unless your division used SARA / Motorola. There are versions of Passport Echo for SA Explorer 8300 / HD as well.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness
reply to mlcampbe

still waiting. We were told we'd be updated May 18th. That's 41 days ago.

mlcampbe

Decatur, AL
reply to mlcampbe

My concern is that the explorer box I picked up with the old interactive guide may have a serial number that was set to be upgraded before I picked up the box. Therefore it will not upgrade since it would think it already should have been done. I guess I will wait until July 1 and see.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
Birmingham, AL

I think it would be 'queued' when it connected to the network. It seems that is how it works in part,.. the network recognizes if Box = X, then sends firmware/software flash Y.

Just FYI -- the 8300HDC here still hasn't updated. Few more days, but they very well might go past the 'deadline'. -- IE: BF69. The new guide is sleek,..

Also, yes this area runs off of SARA, on the Sci Atl, Explorer boxes.
--

otto888

join:2008-07-27
Arab, AL
reply to mlcampbe

Well,its July 2nd. I was told I'd get the update on both of my boxes(Silver DVR HD,Black HD NO DVR,viewing via slingbox while on vacation,don't have model#s) on the 1st,and I didn't. I power cycled them(I can do that away from home) and still didn't get it.

Premium
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

said by otto888:

Well,its July 2nd. I was told I'd get the update on both of my boxes(Silver DVR HD,Black HD NO DVR,viewing via slingbox while on vacation,don't have model#s) on the 1st,and I didn't. I power cycled them(I can do that away from home) and still didn't get it.
Hey I've been waiting 45 days so don't hold your breath.

mlcampbe

Decatur, AL
reply to mlcampbe

Just to follow up my 2nd HD box got its update today automatically. I didn't do anything but noticed the flashing message light this afternoon and it was upgraded.

TPoise
.NET Superstar

join:2006-07-03
united state
reply to mlcampbe

How do you get rid of the flashing light and also change the resolution? I tried pressing INFO + GUIDE on the box but it didn't do anything.

Mlc

@charter.com
reply to mlcampbe

Go to channel 2500 and then start going down the channells. One of the 249x channells will show your messages. There you can view and delete it to stop the blinking

TPoise
.NET Superstar

united state
reply to mlcampbe

Does anyone know how to change resolution? I'm stuck on 480i even though my TV can go all the way up to 1080p

bandit8623

join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN

i dont have that box, but use ur remote and go to settings. should be a way to set your resolution.

TPoise
.NET Superstar

united state

Nope, there is not.

bandit8623

join:2004-09-08
Minneapolis, MN
reply to mlcampbe

if its an hd box, it should have a resolution setting. if its non hd it wont.

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to TPoise

said by TPoise:

Does anyone know how to change resolution? I'm stuck on 480i even though my TV can go all the way up to 1080p
As bandit replied,.. you will need an HD box to adjust resolution. Non HD is just that, SD -- Standard Definition and any adjustment to picture will have to be done via the television itself, if possible. (Look in your manual or online about the TV if you are wondering).

If the box to your HD television is HD (which is should be.. no point in having a 1080p television with a standard box) --

Then the resolution settings are built into the operating system now.

More specifically you will need to go into your 'menu' and find the settings.

Press menu once you have 'some' settings.. press it again you generally come to more settings.

It is much easier to set resolutions with the new software. No pressing key combinations and so on,.. can all be done on the fly with the remote.

If you are wondering if your box is HD -- It will have "HD" by the number if so (if it is Scientific Atlanta) which I imagine it is in the Chelsea Area.

**Also wanted to pass on the info that my DVR 8300HDC box was updated earlier this week. I assume all updates have been pushed now on the guide. **
--

TPoise
.NET Superstar

united state
reply to mlcampbe

FYI,

For other people I found the answer.

Hit Menu twice, then the "A" key. And no, there is no way to get to this "hidden" systems setting without knowing this key combination.

Once in the hidden section, go to Audio/Video to adjust supported resolutions.

Voltron64

join:2004-09-01
Monterey Park, CA

Still not seeing any update to my interactive guide. Are they still updating?

neofate
Caveat Depascor
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to TPoise

said by TPoise:

FYI,

For other people I found the answer.

Hit Menu twice, then the "A" key. And no, there is no way to get to this "hidden" systems setting without knowing this key combination.

Once in the hidden section, go to Audio/Video to adjust supported resolutions.
While you are right in the keys to adjust resolution 1080i/720p/480p/480i...

This is not a *completely* hidden combination.

Intuitively I pressed menu again to get the quick options menu.. But otherwise you wouldn't know pressing the button again while in the first 'menu' screen it would take you to further options. So that is hidden.

However, in that section, it clearly says Press for further options.

Good tip though -- I'm sure many people never figured it out. The first menu should have a tip on it "Press Menu for more options" , then there would be no mystery.

While we are on the subject.

With a standard High Definition 1080p capable television, what resolutions do you guys typically allow?
--