Search similar:

uniqs

hal burton
@sbcglobal.net

hal burton

Anon

Hulu screwed up ?

Site was working 2 days ago.
Last night and today, tv show will start, then freeze the browser.
Is the problem them or the latest version of Adobe flash going haywire ?

MagMan
Life is simpler when you tell the truth.
Premium Member
join:2003-10-01
Westlake, OH

MagMan

Premium Member

This is what I get with Firefox 3.6.4 with a large memory spike. And with Flash Player version 10,1,53,64.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
Same here.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
Working here, but I have Silverlight on this machine.

Is this a security issue?

K McAleavey
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Voorheesville, NY

K McAleavey to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
I'm working on our next release of KNOS and had the misfortune of trying to work with the latest Flash client. Hosed is an understatement.

This was their "beta" which was rushed out the door in response to their security problems and it absolutely wasn't ready for prime time. On Macs as well as our KNOS, we were unable to get to Comedy Central for most of last week, flash complaining that we had to enable "third party links" but doing so only crashed the browsers and made no difference at all. On the Macs, no option to "step back" as the prior flash versions were no longer available. On KNOS, we've decided to just use the older 10.0 for the next release since security issues don't matter for our next KNOS anyway. Once we stepped back though, everything's fine including HULU. The problem *is* the new flash.

Adobe says on their site that they have no intentions of fixing this and their July planned update release was canceled. But absolutely the one that's out there now is an absolute disaster in oh so many ways.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

2 recommendations

La Luna to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
Are you all using the lastest version of Firefox (v 3.6.4)? If so, check this out, it might be the problem:

»support.mozilla.com/en-U ··· s/704493

K McAleavey
Premium Member
join:2003-11-12
Voorheesville, NY

K McAleavey

Premium Member

That might be useful. Firefox 3.6 is another thing that we've determined to be too hosed to include at this time. We had to step back to 3.5.9 for our purposes owing to the changes in the 3.6 with respect to java support. But the fact still remains that flash itself is problematic and will likely expose other usability problems similar to what we saw with several other sites. Hopefully the extended timeout will help, but it's only a bandaid on Firefox' part. That's an awfully long timeout.

dandelion
MVM
join:2003-04-29
Germantown, TN

1 edit

dandelion to hal burton

MVM

to hal burton
No problem with Hulu here, have adblock, noscript and host file but not the latest firefox. (3.5.5)

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium Member
join:2005-01-16

caffeinator to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton

Working fine here on Opera 10.54 and Flash 10.1.53.64
Kiwi88
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Bryant, AR

Kiwi88 to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
It's a software issue, rather than a security issue and would have made more sense to have put this there. These two are always accidents waiting to happen, ~ Flash and Java.

I would however be interested in the response concerning Silverlight, even though once again this should be in the software forum. Why is Silverlight working through this issue, it's .NET framework based?

Unknown_P
@verizon.net

Unknown_P to caffeinator

Anon

to caffeinator
With Firefox 3.6.4, there's now a 'plugin-container.exe' file that needs to be allowed access to the internet (thru the firewall) in order to watch Hulu content.

Or at least that was my experience.

»support.mozilla.com/en-U ··· 1/704242
Frodo
join:2006-05-05

Frodo

If one want's to revert to the prior behavior, then toggle:
dom.ipc.plugins.enabled.npswf32.dll to "false", in about:config. That way, the video will bypass the plugin-container.exe.

Right now, on my usual stops, I'm not having any problems with the plugin-container.exe running the flash.
Frodo

Frodo to hal burton

to hal burton
One thing is quite clear with the new flash update. On:
http://www.bubbleshooter.net/
... the game runs noticeably faster with flash file version 10.0.45.2 than it does with version 10.1.53.64. I have copies of these dlls, so there's little effort in swapping out the versions in c:\windows\system32\Macromed\Flash directory to conduct the test. In both tries when comparing, I let the flash process run in the plugin-container process.
Frodo

Frodo to La Luna

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

Are you all using the lastest version of Firefox (v 3.6.4)? If so, check this out, it might be the problem:...
Firefox 3.6.6 is out. Thanks for the heads up.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium Member
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

rcdailey

Premium Member

Got it. I did see that Hulu issue, but it worked when I restarted Firefox, as I recall.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Frodo

Premium Member

to Frodo
said by Frodo:
said by La Luna:

Are you all using the lastest version of Firefox (v 3.6.4)? If so, check this out, it might be the problem:...
Firefox 3.6.6 is out. Thanks for the heads up.
Awesome, glad they got it out quickly.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to dandelion

to dandelion
said by dandelion:

No problem with Hulu here, have adblock,
And people wonder why they are going to start charging......

thanks dude.

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to La Luna

to La Luna
Doesn't hulu require flashplayer? Can silverlight somehow intercept, and play flash videos?

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY

Smith6612 to 88615298

MVM

to 88615298
If I'm not mistaken, Adblock allows the ads to load up in Hulu. At least they do for me with a fresh install of Adblock Plus with the EasyList USA subscription.

La Luna
Premium Member
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Rexter

Premium Member

to Rexter
said by Rexter:

Doesn't hulu require flashplayer? Can silverlight somehow intercept, and play flash videos?
I don't know the technicalities, but Hulu works for me with Silverlight.
19579823 (banned)
An Awesome Dude
join:2003-08-04

3 edits

19579823 (banned) to Frodo

to Frodo

Thats a fun game!!!!

I have flash 9 and it runs wonderfully!!

My best is 8320 so far

Thank you!!

Rexter
Libertas, Aequitas, Veritas
join:2002-11-17
cloud 9

Rexter to La Luna

to La Luna

Re: Hulu screwed up ?

From doing Google searches, I learned that Silverlight 3 is supposed to play some Flash videos. This excited me, as adobe code sux, and I'd like to rid my system of it. I uninstalled Flash, and went to the Microsoft site to install Silverlight. Microsoft seems to feel that the current version is no ones business, so I have no idea what version I installed. You-tube does not work with the current version of Silverlight, so it's back out the window for me. I just can't wait for HTML 5.
Libra
Premium Member
join:2003-08-06
USA

Libra to hal burton

Premium Member

to hal burton
I just tried hulu with Seamonkey and the latest Flash and it worked. (I have a Silverlight plugin, but Flash played the movie.)

Sincerely, Libra
Expand your moderator at work
lamapper
join:2010-07-21
Los Angeles, CA

1 recommendation

lamapper to Kiwi88

to Kiwi88

Re: Hulu screwed up ?

said by Kiwi88:

I would however be interested in the response concerning Silverlight, even though once again this should be in the software forum. Why is Silverlight working through this issue, it's .NET framework based?
To my knowledge both Silverlight and .NET are married to Microsoft. When Silverlight first came out, everyone already KNEW that H.264 (and X.264...open not proprietary) were far superior to the new VL-whatever standard that Microsoft was unsuccessfully trying to push on consumers. They could have supported H.264 day 1, but did not, as they had their own agenda.

It was only after their preferred standard did not gain as wide spread adoption as they would have liked, after MLB dropped Silverlight (a big blow, not necessarily directly related to VL-? vs H.264 to my knowledge) and in an attempt to "embrace" in order to extend and later extinguish (jury still out on their ability to do that here as they have successfully done in other vertical markets in the past) did they finally allow Silverlight to run H.264 content. I believe it was 2 years after the fact, I know it was more then 1 year and 6 months before they added H.264 compatibility to Silverlight, which is the point.

As to Silverlight, since it does not put an "open data codec/format" out in front, best to avoid yet another blind alley by a proprietary vendor, especially a proprietary vendor like Microsoft who has already done this more than once in the past.

There are open data formats available for everything today. And as to high definition video players, MPlayer works on all operating systems, even Windows, thus an obvious superior solution as content created for MPlayer can be viewed by 100% of the potential audience for that content.

Since Flash and Java are proprietary (yes parts of Java are proprietary, saying they are not, does not make it so) you are stuck with service interruptions when the various content providers "force" you to upgrade to the latest greatest version (whatever the reason) and that latest greatest version does not work for ALL operating systems. Granted this is more a problem for Flash then Java.

It is ironic that many of the security reasons they push the new versions of Flash down, require "local" access to your machine to actually work. Thus they would have to be sitting at your PC, not connected via the Internet for the security issue to impact you at all. Something to think about there. Most people blindly upgrade without looking as to "why" its being forced.

Certainly any content that was viewable in the older version of Flash does not immediately become "not viewable" because of the Flash upgrade, thus the website content provider "requiring" you to update to the latest, greatest version of Flash before it has been adequately tested and certified to work for all operating systems is a business mistake that should not be occurring at all, period. Flash is not shy about stating they do not support Linux and Unix. Funny when their new version gives MacIntosh users fits.

Auto update to update for no good reason is stupid and best to be avoided if you subscribe to the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it mentality".

Yet force it they do. I hope for alternatives to their content, which in most cases their are. Sadly with Youtube and other Google properties, sometimes there is not a valid choice...so much for never being evil. Of course that means that until I configure my Linux PC (which you can always do, eventually) to work with Youtube specifically, they do not benefit from my eyeballs or the eyeballs of other Linux users. I as many, will NEVER go back to Windows, ever. Put me in the group that says I own the hardware/software I purchase, thus it is up to me and me alone when to upgrade. Microsoft took that ability away from all their users mid way through Windows 2000, huge mistake. Even if they added back, I would be concerned they were just attempting to Embrace and Extend to later extinguish as they have done in other verticals in the past. I as many Linux users have learned from the past...they simply have done this too many times to ever be forgiven.

Usually Google is not EVIL, but the incompatibilities with Linux, Unix and MacIntosh users is unacceptable. Especially with their YouTube property, come on test in Linux please before you roll out. At least the largest 5 distros. There is no excuse for problems with Linux.

The jury is watchful, so far Android on the right device can be "rooted" but if that capability is yanked from all devices then Android will be avoided by those of us who need to configure and install other software applications.

Whether they (Adobe, Google, etc...) are catering to Microsoft, or the Movie picture industries insane attempts at forcing DRM down our throats is immaterial. If the new streaming content (hardware or software) does not support ALL operating systems (at least Unix, Linux, MacIntosh in addition to Microsoft Windows please) then it SHOULD NOT be rolled out, period.

This would always apply to the latest greatest Flash.

Obviously Silverlight is Microsoft specific and is a no brainer, especially considering better, faster, technologies that are not Microsoft exist, so why bother...yes I am talking about Unix and Linux back end servers as compared to Windows servers here. There is a reason that the last stock exchange switched away from Windows Server software, Linux and Unix, just can handle a larger load more effectively.

herb77
join:2005-02-23
Fort Myers, FL

herb77 to hal burton

to hal burton
Use IE8, it works!