how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chazz13

join:2009-05-16
Commerce, TX

[CenturyTel] centurylink "customer service" just a bad joke

I tried to call "customer service" tonight to report slow DSL speed. After sitting on hold for 45 minutes I had to give up. Sadly - this non-response to paying customers is the norm rather than the exception. Guess I will have to try again tomorrow but based on prior experience I'll get the same thing again.

Fox McCloud
Crazy like a fox.

join:2006-07-23

that's really unusual--I think the longest I had to wait was around 10-15 minutes, and I've called several times.

chazz13

join:2009-05-16
Commerce, TX
reply to chazz13

sorry but my experience has consistently been poor. when i called tonight the message said the wait would be about 20 minutes - i gave up after 45 minutes on hold. i tried calling again about an hour later only to get a message saying that this time the wait would be approximately 40 minutes so i just hung up. a couple of months ago i had to call in for slow speed as well - i got someone who couldn't even read his script response and was totally useless. fortunately i had the time to call in again later and wade through the various service tech levels to finally get someone that could explain the problem. in the past i have gotten good help when i can get past the initial response level but it usually takes at least an hour on the phone to get to someone with any real degree of knowledge. the initial contact folks always want to work from a standpoint that it must be a problem on my end but it never is. every single phone inquiry that i have made over the past two years has resulted in an explanation that it is a centurylink (or embarq before the merger) system issue or hardware problem. i shouldn't have to spend hours of my time to get assistance.

sujaco

join:2007-12-23
Elizabethton, TN
reply to chazz13

I've also had long hold times. In the past two weeks, I've had 2 techs out lately and another one coming tomorrow so I know the long wait period, personally. A 72 minute phone call, one 31 minutes, and one 46 minutes.

I've had hi speed internet service from Embarq/CenturyLink for about a year now. 3Mb. It worked beautifully.

And then I called and changed my internet from 3Mbps to 10Mbps via contract. The internet shut down. So I called. After checking and rechecking my end and getting to talk to 6 representatives (4 before I got cut off), we set up an appt for a technician to come out.

He went to the office in town and did something to the portal and he got it to come on. But it cut off later that day. I was out of town on business a few days and called when I got back.

Four more reps talking to me and hold time of 31 minutes altogether to set up yet another appointment because my internet service kept cutting off.

Every few minutes it would cut off.

2nd man promptly came out and checked outside the house, inside the house, and down at the regional sub-station place. He saw it was working and left. Later that evening I saw it had cut off again. The next day was sporadic so it was after46 minutes last night, and 4 reps to set up yet another appt.

#3 will be here tomorrow.

Everyone has said they can see there is some static or interference on my line but no one can pin it down. 3Mb worked fine so why is 10Mb so patchy?

If I didn't need my hi speed internet for work I wouldn't be so exasperated but I am an independent contractor and work out of my house.

Sigh...

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI

1 edit

sujaco: Post your modem stats here.Maybe 10Mbit is not supported due to distance from CO.That might be it since 3Mbit worked and 10 don't

sujaco

Elizabethton, TN

2 edits

I don't know where to get those stats. Could you help me out? =)

EDITED : Does this help?

I haven't had any outtages this morning.

BigVe

Gulliver, MI
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

1 edit
reply to chazz13

Your speeds are way below what it should be.Modem stats are of course in your modem.Log in to it and you will find some kind of page with Noise Margins, Attenuation etc. Upstream & Downstream.This is for example what my 2Wire modem shows:

DSL Connection Details
DSL Line (Wire Pair): Line 1 (inner pair)
Protocol: G.DMT Annex A
Downstream Rate: 1792 kbps
Upstream Rate: 320 kbps
Channel: Fast
Current Noise Margin: 29.0 dB (Downstream) 27.0 dB (Upstream)
Current Attenuation: 46.5 dB (Downstream) 27.5 dB (Upstream)
Current Output Power: 18.8 dBm (Downstream) 11.7 dBm (Upstream)
DSLAM Vendor Information: Country: {0xFF} Vendor: {GSPN} Specific: {0x800}
PVC Info: 8/35

My Speedtest:

sujaco

Elizabethton, TN

1 edit

the only modem info I can find is for the internal one that I've used for dialup during hard times. I don't know where to find any of my external (Century Link) modem information. Fwiw I have Windows XP and have looked all thru the control panel and network connections.

BigVe

Gulliver, MI

How did you enter your user name and password for Centurylink DSL? What modem do you have?

sujaco

Elizabethton, TN

Thanks for the help, BigVe.

CenturyLink came out again today and I'm running near 10 Mbs now. I asked about the possibility of me being far from the remote office and he said I was really close to it and had already ruled that out the last time he came out.

My internet was slow this morning but hasn't cut off today at all. The technician came around 2 and it was still running slow when he ran the first test. But ran like a breeze for add'l testings. Right around 10 where it should be. He stayed a good half hour or 45 minutes and it ran smoothly and is still running great today.

We still haven't found the cause of it cutting out on me (Sat and Sun, it was several times a half hour) and it's too soon to tell if it will stay on all the time but for now I'd like to thank you for taking the time to try and help me out.

BigVe

Gulliver, MI

Great it worked out for you.We also have great techs here but cant get any higher speeds unfortunately.Still beats dialup by miles

SicOfBinRobD

join:2010-09-19
reply to chazz13

You think that's bad listen to this one. First they charge us the first month of service for internet when they know we dont have internet yet cause they sent us the wrong Modem. Then they say it was 87$ a month turns out to be 105$, then cause of my wife losing her job we miss paying July and august, but on Sept 9th we get a letter saying if we want service to be turned back on to pay 255.67$ dated Sept 7th. So on the 17th when I get paid we pay the 255.67$. I call to get it turned back on and the lady says we owe 167.00$ more. That the 255.67 is just July's bill. We only have phone and Internet but the lady isn't listening nor is she budging. So We pay. She then says I have to reapply for service now and sends me to another Rep. This rep says she cant reestablish service cause the account still has a pass due balance of 140$ on it. WHAT!! Remember just internet and phone for months of July and August. And the last bill I got was dated Sept 7th and says I only have to pay 255.67$ So I flip and tell her everything, its like she is a robot not listening to what IM saying and refusing to fix it. CenturyLink is EVIL they dont care and they should all rot. I am out over 450$ I have no phone nor Internet and They have their modems back. Oh by the way the said they would send me a box for the wrong modem first sent but they never did and charged me each month for it. Screw them