spc
Search similar:

uniqs
twh090
join:2010-06-27
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

SB6120 drops connection randomly, help.

troubleshooting through Windows always comes up with "dns server not found" or something simliar always having to do with the DNS..

I've tried using Open DNS servers and the "obtain dns servers automatically" but I have the same problem.

I've narrowed it down to the modem because even when I power cycle my router the problem persists until I power cycle my motorola sb6120 modem.

I've called time warner/road runner and they couldn't find anything wrong on their end. They said they haven't had any service interruptions or anything either.

I'm wondering if there's a newer firmware for my modem through time warner because my current version is:

SB6120-1.0.1.1-SCM02-NOSH

..Here's all the info if anyone needs it to help me out:

Model Name: SB6120
Vendor Name: Motorola
Firmware Name: SB6120-1.0.1.1-SCM02-NOSH
Boot Version: PSPU-Boot 1.0.0.4m1
Hardware Version: 1.0
Serial Number: 186901901902029105020011
Firmware Build Time: Oct 27 2008 15:33:58

I've tried "resetting" my modem on the configuration page (»192.168.100.1/cmConfig.htm) but it doesn't 'grab' any new firmware as some people on Comcast have suggested it has for them.

I hate calling support because it's the same 'checklist' routing every time.

Does anyone know what my problem is and/or what I can do to possibly get it fixed?.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

I understand that the connection is restored only when rebooting the modem; however, have you tried a direct connection from a PC to modem?
twh090
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

Yes I have, it does the same thing.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Ok, please post your signal levels.
twh090
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

A concern on your Upstream Signal level at 36 dBmV. It's just above the recommended minimum level.

It may be difficult to convince your ISP to look into it, but that may be the problem if it is sliding even lower. For ref: 35 dBmV is the recommended minimum you should be at.
twh090
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

What should it normally be at?

What do I do/say?

Would a new modem likely solve this issue?

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Unfortunately, your ISP as any may argue what "recommended" is.

Just be persistent in saying that your Upstream is on the low end of acceptable. Push them for a service call to address getting your Upstream level into the 40 range.

I wouldn't look at the modem being the culprit until you raise the upstream level.
twh090
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

Happened earlier today and just now as well. I checked the log and it only has the one from earlier in it right now.

twh090

twh090

Alright called and got to level 3 support (highest apparently..).. I explained my problem and everything and the guy straight up said it sounds like a cable/line problem (just as I've been reading around from researching).. he said the signal 'for the area' seems good but the tech can check everything within the building / room or w/e..

scheduled for the tech to come out on Wednesday, said he'll probably do some tests and replace the coaxial cable/splitter and check stuff out.

Also asked them about firmware update they told me I have to call Motorola and they do it.. since I have a 6120 and not their modem they don't have firmware available or else he said they would usually push it automatically.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

That's a good start getting a Tech to address it. As for modem firmware: Motorola won't update your firmware. Only your ISP can distribute it.
twh090
Fort Bragg, NC

twh090

Tech guy just left. Tested the coaxial detected no problems so he swapped the modem. We'll see how it goes, thanks for you help.

Nick
Purveyor of common sense
MVM
join:2000-10-29
Smithtown, NY

Nick to twh090

MVM

to twh090
How many splitters do you have in the house?