share rss forum feed

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2

Pagers?

Anyone in here old school and remember their Motorola pagers?

I have an old Motorola Pronto - not sure if it's the FLEX or non-FLEX kind. I know these can be changed frequency-wise to any of the other UHF frequencies in 929-930.

My question is does anyone know (or know someone who):

1) Can determine what type of pager this is - FLEX or POGSAC
2) Change the frequency on it.

Thanks
--

Hahausuck
Premium
join:2003-12-14
Try and find a local two-way radio shop that also has experience doing pagers. That would be the easiest way to do what you want.

Paging is still thriving, don't ever think it is dieing.
Expand your moderator at work

boc_reaver

join:2004-01-29
Plattsmouth, NE
reply to Hahausuck

Re: Pagers?

And it blows my mind that it still exists.

Pagers when everyone over age 12 seems to have a cell phone. What's the niche for pagers?

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by boc_reaver:

And it blows my mind that it still exists.

Pagers when everyone over age 12 seems to have a cell phone. What's the niche for pagers?
One reason for continued use of pagers is that pagers can be passive and many locations that block or prohibit cell phones do allow pagers. There are many places that do not allow devices that radiate RF (think hospitals or telco CO's) or have any means to capture, store, or send information to the outside world (think secure DoD or R&D facilities)
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower
The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
-- Thomas Jefferson

acadiel
Press fire to begin
Premium
join:2002-06-22
Lakeland, FL
Or to give to a kid that you don't want to give a cell phone to right now.

Another thing that I've noticed is that I've gotten used to the silent/vibrate mode on my phones, and that the pager is much more noticeable, especially the old Motorola Pronto/Bravo units.

Too bad that none of the carriers are activating the old POGSAC units any more... even though they all still have frequencies (I looked in the FCC's database) for the old ones. They only activate FLEX units, but I think they're going to have diehard POGSAC users forever...
--