spc
Search similar:

uniqs

BlackIce
@atc.army.mil

BlackIce

Anon

Speed ?

So with the changes coming to TV/ent. sector. I'm now running a roku box. and the TV is never rly in TV mode. (Roku/PS3/PC).

I now see that we are streaming more and more content.

I currently have 8/512. We have been having issues when more than one TV starts to stream. I understand this is putting a strain on what we currently have. I guess my question is can I get something like 12/1 or 15/(2-3). I noticed ABB has business service above 8mb.

I guess what I’m thinking is dropping my TV service, which we barely use, and pick up Hulu paid for TV shows and keep our Netflix for movies. But in doing so I feel we would need more bandwidth to support this environment. I just don’t want to have to go up to a business line to support this new idea.

We would save 30-40$ if we dumped the TV service. Is there any higher speed level above the max that ABB supplies for =$30+/m ?
robry
Premium Member
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

no, there isn't, their current setup can barely handle 8mbit as it is now, I can only imagine how much worse it would get if they offered even higher speeds.

ABB_Lisa
join:2010-05-27

ABB_Lisa to BlackIce

to BlackIce
Hello!

My name is Lisa, and I work for Atlantic Broadband.

Unfortunately, the highest speed we currently offer is the 8MB. We have been upgrading many of our systems, and there will be an increase in offered speeds in the future, but I would not have any estimated dates or anything of that nature.

If you are interested in increasing your speeds by getting a business account, you may call in and speak to a business representative about what you could work out with speed and cost.

Also, I would be happy to do some troubleshooting with you to try to see if your current speed is not up to where it needs to be. I can monitor your modem traffic as you stream 1 tv, then as you stream 2 tvs... I can see the difference and tell a lot from a test such as this.

Please give us a call at 1-888-536-9600, or live chat from www.atlanticbb.com (click on Customer Care, then on High Speed Internet)

If you would like to speak with me personally... message me and i will give you what times you can reach me.

BB_Hunter
join:2008-05-16

3 edits

BB_Hunter to BlackIce

to BlackIce
I inquired last month about their business tiers and they are a joke. I was hoping to get something with a better upload speed. 512Kbps is a joke in 2010 and that was the first thing I asked. The guy goes "yes, we have plans with faster upload speeds".

So, I get excited until he tells me their rates and price. They wanted around $120 for 8/768. That honestly gave me a pretty good laugh. If that would have gave me something like 12/2 for $120 I would have done it.

@ ABB_Lisa - Do you have any idea's on what the speed increases will be? They're long overdue when you look at what most other companies offer.

$70 a month for this is kind of a joke today.

BlackIce
@atc.army.mil

BlackIce to BlackIce

Anon

to BlackIce
My speed is there. some test i have broken 10Mb. Overall the isp service has been great. I guess I have just been looking for a bit more.

Currently my bill runs around $120-130. I guess what I'm looking for would be a faster link around the same price point.

I guess i will just have to wait and see the new upgrades.

Blackice
@atc.army.mil

Blackice

Anon

also to fend off other issues that people have tossed at me for my issues. I have enterprise level routers and firewalls at my house running QoS on the streams. I know its nothing I have in the house limiting me. In college I was able to fully load a T3 so a cable modem is a walk in the park for my gear.

ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa to BB_Hunter

to BB_Hunter
Sorry for the delayed response. I was off work for a few days. I am sorry, but I do not have any details on what the speed increases will be. I honestly wish I knew, for both you and me. From what I understand, they are looking to upgrade the upload speed soon, but again, I have no dates.

Also, please keep me posted on your speed tests. I want to make sure you are getting the service you are paying for.
ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa to BlackIce

to BlackIce
Sorry for the delayed response. I was off work for a few days. We will be sure to let you know as soon as we have a speed increase in place. Please let me know if you need anything else.
ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa to Blackice

to Blackice
T3s are really nice. It sounds like you have a nice set-up there
BB_Hunter

BB_Hunter to ABB_Lisa

to ABB_Lisa
said by ABB_Lisa:

Sorry for the delayed response. I was off work for a few days. I am sorry, but I do not have any details on what the speed increases will be. I honestly wish I knew, for both you and me. From what I understand, they are looking to upgrade the upload speed soon, but again, I have no dates.

Also, please keep me posted on your speed tests. I want to make sure you are getting the service you are paying for.

Not even getting 50% of what I pay for today.

robry
Premium Member
join:2007-04-07
Bellefonte, PA

robry

Premium Member

this seems to be the norm for them. I regularly get 6-6.5mbit and I was told this is all I'll ever get during the day. the highest I've every gotten was 7600 at 5AM.

I'm buying a new house in westmoreland county, going to get comcast business, 22/5, no cap for 99$/mo. I know for a fact it will run at or above 22mbit all day long (a friend has the same level of service out there for a business)

I had ABB close my ticket, I gave up on them, got a few credits for slowness. It really is pathetic when you compare them to any other cable ISP, cost vs performance. They don't yet have a cap like comcast, but considering how poor their performance is most of the time, there is no need for a cap lol.

ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa to BB_Hunter

to BB_Hunter
To narrow down where the issue lies, could you please run a speed test from our speed test site....
»speedtest.atlanticbb.net/ Please click on the tab closest to you, and then click begin test... post the results please.
We can track these results and they are direct from our servers, so it will give a true speed capability of the modem.
When you are testing in New York, you are leaving our servers and bouncing off other locations. There are plenty of places where you may be losing speed. I want to narrow this down to exactly where the issue lies so I can help you.

Lisa
ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa to robry

to robry
I am really sorry about that. If you decide you would like my help, I can certainly do my very best to help you out. Please just let me know.

Please keep in mind that speed tests are not 100% accurate. You are seeing an average. So, when you see 7,600, you may be reaching 8,000 (hopefully that is your MAX speed?). I can monitor your modem as you test to be sure if we can troubleshoot more directly. Private message me if you would like times to reach me.

Lisa
Denny024
join:2005-10-05
Bradford, PA

Denny024 to BB_Hunter

to BB_Hunter
The upload speed is so sad 512kb I rent a gameserver and I am always uploading custom made maps and its crazy how long it takes, uploading a video to youtube takes forever, not to mention while im uploading a file doing anything else online is so slow cause of all the upstream being used. Unfortunately there is only verizons dsl which is 3mb/768kb. I really hope they raise at least the upload speed very soon.

ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa

Denny,

I am sorry that the upload speed is not as fast as you would like. I only have 512kb as well.

I am not sure if you would be interested or not, but we do offer business class services. They are a little bit more pricey, but do have advantages. You would be able to speak with your commercial representative about the speeds you would like and work out something with them. Also, commercial accounts provide same day service when your internet goes out, and there are no trouble call fees associated with commercial services.

If you are interested, just call 1-888-536-9600 and ask to speak to a commercial representative regarding switching your account to commercial.

Thank you

Lisa
Atlantic Broadband Technical Support
BB_Hunter

2 edits

BB_Hunter to BlackIce

to BlackIce
Service seems to be getting worse and worse anymore. These speeds are seriously pathetic considering I'm paying for 8/512. I understand that I won't see max speeds all the time but I expect to at least maintain 5/6 down. I can't even stream 720P youtube clips without buffering.

And here is one of "your server". This isn't even 50% of what I pay for and this is considered quality service? I wonder why everybody hates this company?

Last Result:
Download Speed: 3940 kbps (492.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 484 kbps (60.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

ABB_Lisa

ABB_Lisa

BB_Hunter...
I am sorry that you are experiencing speed issues. I will do my best to assist you in any way that I can. May I ask if you are connected directly to the modem or do you have a router (for wireless or multiple devices)?
Also, do you experience these issues at all times, only during certain times of the day, or is it random?

If you have router, and you do not mind, please bypass the router and test your speed with a direct connection. Please test at least three times with the direct number and send me the results. I will then have the required information and troubleshooting steps to open a ticket if necessary for you to our engineers.

If you can private message me with your account information, I can research your account and see what I can do for you.

I hope I can help you.

Lisa
blackice72
join:2010-12-01
Perryville, MD

blackice72

So any news on speed upgrades?

I have called the service people and they have no tiers above the current max.
Do I need to call a different number to see what the cost would be to be converted to a business line?

Just thought I drop a line and see if there was any new info.

Overall I have been getting great service, just thought i drop a chunck of data for you.

3 weeks info.
ping low 120ms (internal .112ms)
Peek request 1.12MB (9.176Mb)
Choke request speed 450KB (3.711Mb)
Choke request ping 320ms (internal .412ms)
avg. request 743KB (6.089Mb)
avg ping 156ms (internal .23ms)
ScrawnyB
join:2004-05-18
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

I second this question.

There have been no speed increases for... almost 3 years now (at least in my area for residential services).

With the top speed for residential being 8M/512K and the top speed for business being 12M/1.2M, I think AtlanticBB needs to start looking at keeping their customers happy.

I know if I had the option, I would even pay a little bit more for a much heftier line (something around or above 12/2). But the prices for the next higher line (business in my case), are just not reasonably priced for home usage.
Davidr627
join:2010-12-29

Davidr627 to BlackIce

to BlackIce
Speed Increase..sounds like its on the way! Recently, I received my bill with an attachment. With in the attachment, there was one sentence that caught my eye"...plans to increase other High-speed internet service speeds in April 2011"?

The ABB service in Grasonville MD currently maxes out at 8mb down. Anyone have any ideas what the new speeds would be?
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

That's awesome. Do you mind posting a scan/photo of this notice?

I imagine that if you're as rural as I am, my area will probably see a similar speed increase.

I heard rumors a few months back that business lines are going to be offered as something like 20Mbit down, and potentially that much up too, but I'm not holding my breath. No word on residential speeds though.

At this point, I'd be ecstatic with 12 or 15Mbit down and at least 1.5Mbit up, but the more the better

What speeds are you hoping to see?
Davidr627
join:2010-12-29

Davidr627

B,

Sorry... I chucked the letter a few days ago. It was more of a notice about service enhancements and rate increases. Then, ABB through in a few lines in there for their HS internet consumers. The rate increase was small, about a buck or two.

If we get 20MB down, I would fall out of my chair. However, I speculate that it would be more like 12-15 MB down. Once I see an increase or more news I’ll post something up.

ABB_Lisa,

Can you please share any insight about a upcoming speed increase in the Grasonville MD area?

Thanks
ScrawnyB
Mechanicsburg, PA

ScrawnyB

I suspect she isn't going to reply:

ABB_Lisa

I wonder if its worth calling ABB and asking what tiers they are adding.
blackice72
join:2010-12-01
Perryville, MD

blackice72

I moved up to their MegaMax (cost me another 7-8$/m). I will post some speeds when I get home, but from memory

Download 15mbs
Upload 1.6mbs
ping went up a tad avg around 40ms.

Overall much happier.
F34R
join:2007-10-29
Barnwell, SC

F34R

I too have the megax, and here are two speed tests done today:
15/1.5 are the quoted speeds

From their speedtest site:
Download Speed: 18759 kbps (2344.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 1618 kbps (202.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
Thursday, May 26, 2011 2:58:51 PM

and one from speedtest.net choosing a server: