how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cybrsk8r6

join:2001-11-19
Montgomery Village, MD

Cable box dropping out

Does the cable box Comcast uses need an upstream path to function. My HSI upstream is very erratic and every time the modem has a problem, it seems the cable box keeps losing the signal. Happens every 20-30 seconds. Picture blacks out for about a second. If the cable box does not need an upstream, I could put an amp in and see if that helps.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

Loss of upstream wouldn't cause your picture to go out. The box does have an upstream carrier that it uses, which is different from the modems.

I would suggest calling in for a service call and skip adding the amp. Let a tech decide what is needed.
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

gchris2203

join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

Do what beach said and get a TC scheduled. If signal levels are actually erratic that indicates there is some sort of a problem. Placing an amp wont help it will only cause more problems. If you amplify junk signal you simply get more junk signal than you had before it doesnt make it better.

cybrsk8r6

Montgomery Village, MD

1 edit

Well, the problem is that the Comcrap service guy shows up, says everything is peachy and says "We'll monitor it" and then of course, nothing happens. This seems to be their standard procedure for all problems. I've been trying to get my HSI fixed for the better part of a month.

beachintech
Premium

First thing wrong with that statement, your attitude. I understand your upset, and you have reason to be. Techs (me being one of them) come on here to try and help you. Making blanket statements about all of us in a forum where we are here after hours on our own time to try and help you isn't the way to go about getting your issues fixed. If you give the guy that comes to your home the same respect, I can see why your problem hasn't been fixed.

How about you post some signal levels that you are working with, from your modem, various channels on your cable box, etc. and we can try to give you some advice as to what's going on. That way something constructive can come from this thread. (No posts that you have made recently about your troubles have really included anything in the way of signal levels, SNR figures, Modem logs, etc. They are helpful for us to see. We aren't in your home with a meter, we need something to work with)

I am assuming your issues are related to these threads?:
»[Signals] Connecting new modem for troubleshooting
»[Signals] Internet drops at the same time every day

You should update them / try to keep everything in one thread so we can follow your issues and try to help you get your issues resolved as you get more information. Your second modem for troubleshooting, did that show you anything or verify the same signal swings on both modems? You never updated it to tell us...
--
Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my employer.

cybrsk8r6

Montgomery Village, MD

Well, I'm sorry if you were offended, but that what happens. The guy comes by and doesn't do anything. I mean, the last two appointments COMBINED lasted about eight minutes. And no, I'm not nasty to the guy when he shows up. But Saturday's appointment will be the last, one way or another. If it doesn't get fixed, it will get canceled. It would pretty stupid to continue paying for it when it doesn't work, don't you think?

beachintech
Premium

I'd still be interested in seeing numbers.

colloquor

join:2008-12-28
Urbana, IL

1 edit

The problem is that the vast majority of cable subscribers have absolutely no knowledge on how to document SNR, modem logs, and other technical data, even though it's available, to assist the tech in troubleshooting the problem.

I can understand the OP's frustration, as it's very analogous to taking one's car into the dealership for service when you know something is wrong, and the service department says "we can't find any problems."

cybrsk8r6

Montgomery Village, MD

2 edits

Posted these numbers in the other thread as well.

»[Signals] Internet drops at the same time every day

DS: +5 dBmV
D/S: S/N 36 dB

US: +43 to +49 dBmV

The US seems dependent of the outside temp. It's right around the +49 figure on a hot afternoon. It was +43 this morning, but it was in the low 50's this morning. Pretty chilly for July.

If I come across as angry, it's because I am. I'm will be laid off this month so my stress level is a 9 on the richter scale. A reliable internet connection becomes crucial for job searching.

gchris2203

join:2009-10-15
Lafayette, IN

With US going up and down to those extremes their is pretty obvious problems. Normally when signal tends to go up and down like that it can be attributed to a poor connection somewhere. As temp goes from cooler in the morning to warmer as the day goes on. The cables outside expand and contract with the temp.

As that happens you may have an ok connection one time of the day and a poor connection at other times. Explain to the tech who visits that this has been an ongoing problem and when other techs visit there seems to not be a problem but there definetly is a problem at different times of the day. Being that this is a repeat TC if hes doing his job right he should be checking and rechecking everything.