spc
uniqs
AJCxZ0
join:2009-05-12
Vienna, VA

AJCxZ0 to rongo

to rongo

Re: [VA] PhonePower VOIP service bad with Cox HSI

No advice or help, but a data point and offer to make relevant comparisons.

I have PhonePower on the Preferred (15/2) service in the Fair Lakes area of Fairfax and apart from a few recent outages have had no problem with it for the year or so I've had it.

I use the G711u high bandwidth codec and have the Grandstream HT502 wired to a TRENDnet TEW611-BRP router/firewall/switch with SPI and SIP disabled connected to a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 modem.

Since you didn't mention it (or I missed it), how is your ATA connected and which codec are you using?
rongo
join:2010-06-25

rongo

I have the Grandstream HT502. As far as the "G711u in high bandwidth codec", I have no idea what that is. If you could tell me what that is, I'd appreciate it. I have TRENDnet TEW-432BRP router, but I took that out of the loop in cas it was causing the problem. Didn't seem to help though.

So if you could enlighten me on the codec, thanks very much!
AJCxZ0
Vienna, VA

AJCxZ0

You have a choice of two codecs with high or low quality/bandwidth. For our connections the high quality one is the right choice.

Eliminating the router in your tests is good, but make sure you're not using SPI or special SIP handling on it.

FWIW, here are my »speedtest.phonepower.com results taken at 04:00 this morning from my weakly wireless connected system:

Jitter: you --> server: 0.4 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 1.1 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.2 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.0 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %

Estimated MOS score: 4.0
Download speed: 6030856 bps
Upload speed: 3736952 bps
Download quality of service: 97 %
Upload quality of service: 98 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
This doesn't show things like forced idle in your earlier results.
rongo

rongo

Thanks for the explanation that I have 2 codecs available. unfortunately i have no clue what that means or how to get the high quality one. And in using the router I have no idea whether I am using SP1 or special SIP handling on it. Do you have some references that i could check out to see what all of these terms mean? Or just how I get the codec with high quality? I just did a speed test with phonepower (at 11:45PM on July3rd):

VoIP test statistics
--------------------
Jitter: you --> server: 11.3 ms
Jitter: server --> you: 10.7 ms
Packet loss: you --> server: 0.0 %
Packet loss: server --> you: 0.2 %
Packet discards: 0.0 %
Packets out of order: 0.0 %
Estimated MOS score: 3.7

Speed test statistics
---------------------
Download speed: 5310632 bps
Upload speed: 787088 bps
Download quality of service: 96 %
Upload quality of service: 48 %
Download test type: socket
Upload test type: socket
Maximum TCP delay: 60 ms
Average download pause: 5 ms
Minimum round trip time to server: 90 ms
Average round trip time to server: 91 ms
Estimated download bandwidth: 17600000bps
Route concurrency: 3.3141065
Download TCP forced idle: 68 %
Maximum route speed: 5825328bps

The jitter seems to be high and according to PhonePower a forced idle of 68% is high. Again all they tell me is that it is my ISP's problem, but Cox says my internet connection is satisfactory. It seems as if both Cox and PhonePower either don't know that much about their own systems or what should be checked. I personally don't have a clue how to correct this and it looks like it's easier for PhonePower and Cox to blame each other than tell me exactly what I need to tell the other one to correct the problem. Cox tells me that if I use their phone service they would make sure my phone worked. I bet they would....for about $45 more a month I'm sure they'd figure out the problem. Thanks.....
rongo

rongo to AJCxZ0

to AJCxZ0
I use the G711u high bandwidth codec and have the Grandstream HT502 wired to a TRENDnet TEW611-BRP router/firewall/switch with SPI and SIP disabled connected to a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 modem.

What's that mean??
rongo

rongo to AJCxZ0

to AJCxZ0
"I use the G711u high bandwidth codec and have the Grandstream HT502 wired to a TRENDnet TEW611-BRP router/firewall/switch with SPI and SIP disabled connected to a Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 modem.

Since you didn't mention it (or I missed it), how is your ATA connected and which codec are you using?"

Can anyone tell me in simple English terms what this means??
AJCxZ0
Vienna, VA

AJCxZ0

I'm not sure how much more simple to make it.
I use X.

I have A connected to B connected to C.

B is configured with N and M.

How is your B connected?

Do you use X?
That's the language part. Everything else is just technical terminology and if you are using PhonePower on Cox HSI then the product names should be familiar.

X = G711u (the high bandwidth codec which you configure on the PP web site)
A = Grandstream HT502 (the ATA)
B = TRENDnet TEW611-BRP (the router/firewall/switch)
C = Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 (the modem)
N = SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection)
M = SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)

I hope that clarifies any uncertainty so you can answer the questions.

It helps if you quote quotes. You can use the [qreply] button to make it easy.
rongo

rongo

said by AJCxZ0:

I'm not sure how much more simple to make it.
I use X.

I have A connected to B connected to C.

B is configured with N and M.

How is your B connected?

Do you use X?
That's the language part. Everything else is just technical terminology and if you are using PhonePower on Cox HSI then the product names should be familiar.

X = G711u (the high bandwidth codec which you configure on the PP web site)
A = Grandstream HT502 (the ATA)
B = TRENDnet TEW611-BRP (the router/firewall/switch)
C = Scientific Atlanta DPC2100R2 (the modem)
N = SPI (Stateful Packet Inspection)
M = SIP (Session Initiation Protocol)

I hope that clarifies any uncertainty so you can answer the questions.

It helps if you quote quotes. You can use the [qreply] button to make it easy.
The simpler, the better
I have mine set up exactly as you do...only difference is I have a different TRENDnet router (TEW 432BRP) and modem is Motorola SB. I have no idea if B (the TRENDnet router) is configured with N & M because I still have no idea where to find either N or M. I Googled and went to the TRENDNET support site and looked at the settings of my router online. Didn't find either of those things. Sorry that I am so dense, but if you're still willing to help, I appreciate it!
AJCxZ0
Vienna, VA

1 edit

AJCxZ0

In the web interface to my TRENDnet device, SPI is set by a radio button found on the "FIREWALL" page and SIP is one of several radio buttons under "APPLICATION LEVEL GATEWAY (ALG) CONFIGURATION" on the "SPECIAL APPLICATIONS" page under the "ADVANCED" tab.

As PhonePower recommends, they should be unset. Are they?

Do you have the LAN IP of the ATA configured to be in a DMZ? [All those TLAs should be found on or around the same place on your TRENDnet device]. I do not, but some suggest doing so.

If so, then I think you'll have narrowed down the problem to some aspect of your connection, at which point I hope it will help to compare to the data I provided.