uniqs
share rss forum feed

supergeeky

join:2003-05-09
United State
kudos:3

1 edit

ATT won't install a T1 because "land is contaminated"

ok, so this is a new one for me, I ordered combo VoIP/internet service from a company who installs two T1's connected to a Cisco ATA they drop in our building - I do this all over Illinois, no problems.

For this particular customer they came back and said "AT&T won't install a T1 to your building because the land is contaminated"

now help me out on a few points...
- isn't there some law about they have to provide a T1?
- we already have POTS service from ATT (4 lines, there used to be 6 lines) and there are plenty of other free pairs I see coming from them - one of these has DSL on it, and they have come out to repair the DSL line in the past (I believe the problem was in a nearby cross box, and not the pair to our building)
- the building is in Rockford, IL - an old building, but in-use everyday by real working people, there was a rumor about the building being an electric company in the past, and there is a room with two rows of old relay racks, many of which still have old wire-wrapped phone blocks on them - none of these are in-use as the service currently comes into a modern-looking 66 punch block mounted on plywood behind the racks.

How can they refuse this? and how can I make them install it?

RockyBB
Premium
join:2005-01-31
Steamboat Springs, CO
I've known plenty of circumstances where Bell won't install a T1 loop for other reasons: no facilities, no power, no backboard, excess clutter, etc. I've not run into "land is contaminated" but it's likely that the land is contaminated. Your message doesn't say that the land isn't contaminated, so perhaps it is and the installer felt some danger to his personal health or safety. The Bell company doesn't make money by not installing circuits, so there's really no reason to not install the circuit especially if the tech was already dispatched and on-site. So, does your client have something to clean up?

supergeeky

United State
reply to supergeeky
The land being contaminated is news to me - like I said, people have been working at this building for years, so if someone did deem it contaminated wouldn't we know about it?

Also, ATT never came out to do anything, they simply told the other ISP that they wouldn't install it citing that reason.

Also, ATT currently serves this building, and the tenant next door (buildings share a common wall) with POTS and DSL service, which they have been out to repair before.

It's not like anything needs to be dug up anywhere to install these two T1's, there are plenty of free pairs coming into the building.

The ISP has not heard this excuse either. My thinking was more along the lines that they don't want to install another T1 for this other company which is basically their competitor.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO
said by supergeeky:

Also, ATT never came out to do anything, they simply told the other ISP that they wouldn't install it citing that reason.
they can do stuff in/outside the building without necessarily announcing themselves. though the end user may not have seen the tech, that doesn't mean the tech wasn't on-site.

said by supergeeky:

It's not like anything needs to be dug up anywhere to install these two T1's, there are plenty of free pairs coming into the building.
the word "site" can cover a lot of ground (sorry); perhaps the problem is not in the outside soil, but somewhere else, like the demarc location.

said by supergeeky:

My thinking was more along the lines that they don't want to install another T1 for this other company which is basically their competitor.
It really isn't reasonable to believe that AT&T would refuse service, and risk legal action, by refusing that order. Sure, there might be a renegade dispatch manager or tech somewhere, but that one person isn't going to change the world. Certainly your ISP has already requested a redispatch or on-site vendor meet, so let us know how it works out.

supergeeky

United State
reply to supergeeky
Update: Cbeyond, the company selling the combo VoIP/internet service has now changed their story, citing that they do not have a presence in Rockford, IL and cannot install there. They said they have customers in some parts of Rockford, but not others.

I still think something fishy is going on...

How can I tell if Cbeyond is in the Rockford wire center? (near Church & State St., within .7 of our building)
area code: 815
exchange: 961

I think this is a simple DB error, someone not realizing that they CAN infact put a T1 here.

RockyBB
Premium
Steamboat Springs, CO
they don't make any money if they don't install your (client's) service. if they say they're not there, they're likely not there. why they lied about the dispatch I can't address, but why would you want them after that? how about you look for another provider? maybe IM me with the requirements

nology

join:2001-06-16
Minneapolis, MN
reply to supergeeky
That is very strange. I have worked with Cbeyond as an Agent for sometime and would be happy to double check the address for you or as RockyBB said you can post the requirements in the B2B forum and the vendors here would be happy to provide quotes.

supergeeky

United State
After allot of wasting my time, Cbeyond admitted the real reason as Rockford is outside of their service area.

A more senior person told me the previous excuse was just the sales guy covering for his inability to check the map before making promises.