Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dynodb
Premium,VIP
join:2004-04-21
Minneapolis, MN

Government efficiency in action

This $5.2 million grant/loan middle mile project will allow Cooper Valley Telephone Coop. to extend terrestrial wireless broadband connectivity to
McCarthy, AK. When complete, the project will offer upgraded service to more than 60 Alaskans and nearly 20 local businesses and other
community institutions that currently can only subscribe to satellite service.
Roughly $65,000 per person and business for WiFi. No wonder that Uncle Sam is broke.

saturn2121

@myvzw.com
I live a mile from cable service, with in that mile there are 20 houses, 11 of which I know for a fact want Broadband service, I personally would get the full package, tv, broadband, phone. I figure others would as well. Some people might just want the tv service, or a mix of services. But there is a market here for it and growing. I can't get metrocast to extend their service for nothing. I've asked them about getting one of these government grants, nothing. Got in touch with my Representative, nothing. So how the hell this work?

iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
reply to dynodb
No kidding. Pretty sure those 60 residents and 20 businesses would rather just have the $65k a pop.

Heck, I'll bet any WISP here could extend service to these folks for $65K TOTAL...

wierdo

join:2001-02-16
Tulsa, OK
said by iansltx:

Heck, I'll bet any WISP here could extend service to these folks for $65K TOTAL...
You might want to consult a map.
--
It's wierdo, not weirdo. Yes, I know that's not the 'proper' spelling of the similar english language word.