spc
Search similar:

uniqs
isaacl
join:2009-07-26

isaacl to mazilo

to mazilo

Re: [Other] Get your own FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $2

Just curious - does anyone know how the DockStar compare to the other "Plug computer" hardware?
Thanks.
davidm00
join:2000-08-19
Philadelphia, PA

1 recommendation

davidm00

said by isaacl:

Just curious - does anyone know how the DockStar compare to the other "Plug computer" hardware?
Thanks.
Specs comparison here - »plugboxlinux.org/index.p ··· Hardware
isaacl

isaacl

Thanks.
How much of a difference do those differences make?
And is there any point in getting a better device?
Or will the DockStar do fine?
It just has some of the lowest memory and storage specs...
davidm00
join:2000-08-19
Philadelphia, PA

davidm00

Dont have mine yet, so cannot tell you the difference. What I know is the sheeva/guru plugs are $99 plus $10 shipping and the Seagates are only $25. I'm hoping I can get PlugPbx to work on the Seagate and it looks doable based on the links Mazilo provided. As is, Asterisk works fairly well on my 8/32M Asus WL-500G router with only a 240Mhz CPU, and the Seagate is better spec'ed than the Asus. Buy one and you'll know.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to isaacl

Premium Member

to isaacl
said by isaacl:

Or will the DockStar do fine?
The reason I do this is someone gave me a free Seagate DockStar device and I have some spare time to devote hacking it. If anyone is willing to donate a free Plug computer, I will be more than happy to give it a shot, too. As with my Seagate DockStar device, freeswitch-1.0.6 runs very smooth on it. Previously, I had my freeswitch-1.0.6 hosted on an old and discontinued Netgear WGT634U device and it was a bit sluggish but usable. That's all I could say so far. For $25, this is a steal to own a PBX system hosted on your own Linux embedded device with a built-in of an ARM CPU clocked @1.2HGz + 128/256MB RAM/Flash + 4 USB2 port + 1 GigE RJ45 port (10/100/1000 Mbps) and only consumes 10Watts or less of electricity.
isaacl

isaacl

Got it. Thanks!
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip to mazilo

to mazilo

Re:[Other] Get your own FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $25

said by mazilo:

For $25, this is a steal to own a PBX system hosted on your own Linux embedded device with a built-in of an ARM CPU clocked @1.2HGz + 128/256MB RAM/Flash + 4 USB2 port + 1 GigE RJ45 port (10/100/1000 Mbps) and only consumes 10Watts or less of electricity.
I would love to play with this device, unfortunately Buy.com doesn't ship to Canada. I'll check on Amazon even though "Ships from and sold by Buy.com." might be a dead end.:(

On a side note the CYT adapters can't register both lines with Asterisk. I wonder if you have time to try with Freeswitch.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Dan_voip:

I would love to play with this device, unfortunately Buy.com doesn't ship to Canada. I'll check on Amazon even though "Ships from and sold by Buy.com." might be a dead end.:(
Perhaps, some fellows here will be more than happy to help, i.e. have your order ship to US for free and then you pay the S/H from US to Canada.
On a side note the CYT adapters can't register both lines with Asterisk. I wonder if you have time to try with Freeswitch.
I don't know what CYT device you have and how you configured it. However, my Linksys PAP2v2 has not problem to register both lines as extensions to my Asterisk PBX system (asterisk-1.6.2.9) and my Uniden UIP1869V (also a CYT device) has no problem to register both lines to my FreeSwitch PBX system hosted on my Seagate DockStar device. Both PBX systems + some Linksys PAP2v1 units (configured directly to Gizmo5) operate happilly under the same subnet.
Dan_voip
join:2007-01-03
Saint-Hubert, QC

Dan_voip

said by mazilo:

I don't know what CYT device you have and how you configured it. However, my Linksys PAP2v2 has not problem to register both lines as extensions to my Asterisk PBX system (asterisk-1.6.2.9) and my Uniden UIP1869V (also a CYT device) has no problem to register both lines to my FreeSwitch PBX system hosted on my Seagate DockStar device. Both PBX systems + some Linksys PAP2v1 units (configured directly to Gizmo5) operate happilly under the same subnet.
I have dlink vta, motorola v2x42 and Astersik 1.4. Maybe 1.6 fixed this issue.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Dan_voip:

I have dlink vta, motorola v2x42 and Astersik 1.4. Maybe 1.6 fixed this issue.
I also had an asterisk-1.4.x before and did not recall to have encountered with this issue. My PAP2v2 device and PBX systems are all on the same subnet.
TelSat
join:2002-10-10
Toronto, ON

1 edit

TelSat to Dan_voip

to Dan_voip
If you are in Canada NCIX has it for $29.99 until July 13th. No free shipping but you don't have to deal with customs.
So it is $29.99 plus shipping plus the taxes on your province.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo

Premium Member

Re: [Other] Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99

I just updated this thread to attach with a self-built OpenWRT SVN firmware in a tarball file as well as its configurations files so that you can use them to rebuild/recompile your own OpenWRT SVN firmware. The firmware includes a Linux kernel (uImage), OpenWRT base/application files, FreeSwitch v1.0.6, and network/utility applications. My Seagate DockStar device has no problem to boot off this OpenWRT SVN firmware of an external USB storage. If you have successfully hacked your Seagate DockStar device using the PogoPlug SetBoot approach, it should have no problem to boot off this OpenWRT SVN firmware of an external USB storage.

Have fun with your new PBX system.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

2 edits

jjoshua to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Got mine today. I'm going to start with the setboot change.

Edit: Followed the blog instructions to disable the dockstar software, backup the partitions. Next, I installed setboot. Very quick - no problems.
voip_wire
join:2010-07-02

voip_wire to mazilo

to mazilo

Re: [Other] Get your own FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $2

said by mazilo:

WARNING: WHEN YOU RECEIVE YOUR SEAGATE DOCKSTAR DEVICE, PLEASE DON'T CONNECT IT TO A LIVE INTERNET UNLESS YOU HAVE DISABLE THE hbmgr.sh BY EDITING /etc/init.d/rcS FILE AS SHOWN IN BLOG. DOING SO WILL LET IT TO PHONE HOME TO PERFORM AN UPGRADE WITH A NEW FIRMWARE THAT HAS TELNET/SSH DISABLED AND AN UNKNOWN root PASSWORD.
Thanks for posting with emphasis. I had read the blog, hence knew it, but without your warning would have probably forgotten to take care of it.

-m
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to jjoshua

Premium Member

to jjoshua

said by jjoshua:

If I install setboot on the device, at what point can it be allowed to access the internet?
I believe the step-by-step instructions on PogoPlug SetBoot presumes you have already disabled the startup of the Pogoplug software (to phone home for a firmware upgrade and to lock out telnet/ssh access) as shown on the Blog.
bluechalk
join:2009-09-20
White Plains, NY

bluechalk to mazilo

to mazilo
Mazillo: Plugbox Linux, referred to on the setboot webpage, seems to be designed for the DockStar. I'm curious as to why you chose to use OpenWRT instead.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by bluechalk:

I'm curious as to why you chose to use OpenWRT instead.
I can give you a bunch of answers. Simply put, I feel more comfortable with OpenWRT.

myname
join:2002-03-12
San Jose, CA

myname to mazilo

to mazilo
when you have such a great guide, who can resist? Thanks for wasting my money and time...

Oh... and giving tons of hacking pleasure... keep it coming.

I have been looking at shiva plug for a long time but did not feel like spending $100 when it first came out. $25 I can handle. Plus it now runs openwrt!

Just ordered one.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

1 recommendation

mazilo

Premium Member

I had to re-upload the firmware tarball file as well the configurations files. I wasn't aware of the previous firmware tarball file didn't include the boot/uImage (kernel) file. So, if you had downloaded the previous firmware tarball file that I posted this morning, I apologize because you will need re-download and use this one.

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

Re: [Other] Own a FreeSwitch hacked DockStar for $24.99

I should see my device early this week.

But then .......... I am in the thick of studying/learning CCNA.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

jjoshua to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo

I'm trying to build Openwrt for the first time.

I got the openwrt distribution using svn. I ran "make menuconfig" and changed the target system to "Marvel. Kirkwood". Then, I typed "make" and everything seems to have worked ok.

Presumably, I now have a somewhat default openwrt build that can run on the dockstar. Since I installed setboot, I should be able to copy the openwrt build to a usb stick and boot it from there.

How do I install the openwrt build onto a usb stick?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by jjoshua:

I got the openwrt distribution using svn. I ran "make menuconfig" and changed the target system to "Marvel. Kirkwood". Then, I typed "make" and everything seems to have worked ok.
The default config will build USB mass storage, SCSI disk, and among other needed drivers as kernel modules. When a Seagate DockStar device loads the kernel, those drivers are still on the external USB partition and the kernel will have no way to locate them without these drivers. As such, your device won't be able to complete the boot and will hang.
How do I install the openwrt build onto a usb stick?
Do the following:
    1. When you execute a make menuconfig, go to Target Images sub-menu and enable the [*] tar.gz to build a firmware in tarball file.
    2. Once you have the firmware tarball file, format your external USB partition with an EXT2 or EXT3 filesystem. I used EXT3 filesystem because it supports a juornalling system. Then, mount your external USB partition. From this onward, I will presume your external USB partition is mounted on /mnt. Use the tar utility to extract the firmware tarball file to the external USB partition (tar -zxf openwrt-kirkwood-rootfs.tar.gz -C /mnt).
    3. Create a boot directory on the root directory of your external USB partition (mkdir /mnt/boot) and copy the openwrt-kirkwood-uImage file to the boot directory (cp openwrt-kirkwood-uImage /mnt/boot/uImage). Check to make sure you have a /boot/uImage file (ls -al /boot).
    4. At this point, it is important to observe all the directories and files are owned by user 0 (root) and group 0 (root). If not, your device will probably won't boot. Use chown -R root.root /mnt) to change all directories and files under /mnt to user 0 (root) and group 0 (root). Then, execute sync to flush all open file system buffers to synchronize with their respective storage.
    5. Once you have done the above, unmount your external USB partition and unplug it from your computer. Then, take it to your Seagate DockStar device to plug it into one of its USB ports. At this point, I presume you have already hacked your device with the PogoPlug SetBoot step-by-step instructions all the way on step #1 so that it will be able to toggle boot between its NAND/Flash storage and an external USB storage. If your device is running, you can execute a reboot so that it will look for your external USB partition to boot off from there on the next boot. Otherwise, you will have to first boot into its original firmware and do a reboot.
    6. To log into your device running an OpenWRT firmware for the 1st time, use telnet IP_Address_of_the_device with no username/password. Once you have logged into your device, you may want to execute passwd to set a password to your root user and the system will automatically disable the telnet. At this point, subsequent telnet requests will no longer be served and you will need to use SSH (ssh root@IP_Address_of_the_device on Linux) or PUTTY (on Windows) to log into your device.

Hope this helps you to get your Seagate DockStar device started running with an OpenWRT firmware. Enjoy.
voip_wire
join:2010-07-02

voip_wire

said by mazilo:

said by jjoshua:

The default config will build USB mass storage, SCSI disk, and among other needed drivers as kernel modules. When a Seagate DockStar device loads the kernel, those drivers are still on the external USB partition and the kernel will have no way to locate them without these drivers. As such, your device won't be able to complete the boot and will hang.
If not using mazilo provided firmware, you would probably need to
make kernel_menuconfig

and make sure that usb_storage, scsi disk are compiled into the kernel (Marked by [*], as opposed to [m]) for a successful boot.

As a side note, I see only 2 attachments to the first post: the config files. Guess it is limitation of a basic account?

-m

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k

MVM

3rd attachment is not there at the moment.
cowcowcow
join:2003-07-23
Montreal, QC

1 edit

cowcowcow to TelSat

to TelSat

Re: Re:[Other] Get your own FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for

Sorry... wrong info.... deleted.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo to voip_wire

Premium Member

to voip_wire

said by voip_wire:

As a side note, I see only 2 attachments to the first post: the config files. Guess it is limitation of a basic account?
Last late night, I was going to upload a newly-built firmware. To do this, I had to delete the existing one without knowing the thread has the EDIT mode set to disable. That's why it only shows two config files at the moment. I can create another post with the attachment, but I prefer to have the firmware uploaded to the 1st post on this thread so readers will be able see it without sifting through the thread.
zamarac
join:2008-11-29
Canada

1 edit

zamarac

FW Trojan free guaranteed? Btw, the thread Edit Mode seems to be working OK.

dbmaven
There's no shortage
Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

1 recommendation

dbmaven to jjoshua

Mod

to jjoshua

(topic move) [Other] Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 3 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »Seagate DockStar - NAS & MFP & WebCam Support
lukami
join:2010-07-10
San Francisco, CA

1 edit

lukami to mazilo

to mazilo

Mazilo,
I have a Seagate DockStar that I've modified following the PogoPlug SetBoot instructions. It can properly load Plugbox Linux from a USB stick. However, when I tried to run OpenWRT from another USB stick using your SVN tarball firmware I got the following error message through the serial console:

Waiting 10sec before mounting root device...
scsi 0:0:0:0: Direct-Access     Generic  USB Flash Disk   7.76 PQ: 0 ANSI: 2
sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Attached SCSI removable disk
VFS: Cannot open root device "sda1" or unknown-block(8,1)
Please append a correct "root=" boot option; here are the available partitions:
1f00            1024 mtdblock0 (driver?)
1f01            4096 mtdblock1 (driver?)
1f02           32768 mtdblock2 (driver?)
1f03          224256 mtdblock3 (driver?)
Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(8,1)

Both of the sticks are formatted to ext2.
Do you know what I am doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by lukami:

Do you know what am I doing wrong? Thanks for your help.
You probably downloaded the first version firmware I had uploaded here. If so, that one has a missing Linux kernel. Sorry about that. Since last night, I have found another problem. I applied kernel patches from here and that created some problem in the sense it mounted the root partition RO. Any changes to the filesystem will only be on the RAM space and that will be gone after a reboot. Right now, I am recompiling the whole firmware. I will test it before I re-upload. So, please kindly bear with me. Thank you.