Mod
join:1999-10-26
Sty in Sky

dbmaven to UHF

Mod

to UHF

(topic move) [Other] Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for

Moderator Action
The post that was here (and all 8 followups to it), has been moved to a new topic .. »[Other] Seagate DockStar: U-Boot/NAND-flash considerations

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF to yahoo2003

MVM

to yahoo2003

Re: [Other] Own a FreeSwitch on a Seagate DockStar for $24.99

said by yahoo2003:

I believe UHF got quoted errors when he was trying to build openwrt on a PC.

Problems of USB drives on Dockstar are widely reported, even the working ones sometime fails to boot.
Correct, I was building it on a PC.

I suspect the USB drive could be why the images I've tried to use fail. I've run into that before trying to write Linux images to USB for other projects such as Meteohub. That one did work on Meteohub, and I used it to flash an AppleTV so I ASSumed it was a "good" stick. I know, I should never assume!
UHF

UHF to voip_wire

MVM

to voip_wire
said by voip_wire See ProfileOpenwrt SVN trunk does break from time to time. Doing an SVN update may help. I had posted my images in the asterisk on dockstar thread. Feel free to use those.
[/BQUOTE :

Okay, thanks. I'll look over there when I have some time to play with this again. I've had a couple other projects come up that I have to finish first, then I'll find more time to play.
yahoo2003
join:2007-11-02
Mclean, VA

yahoo2003 to UHF

to UHF
said by UHF:

said by yahoo2003:

I believe UHF got quoted errors when he was trying to build openwrt on a PC.

Problems of USB drives on Dockstar are widely reported, even the working ones sometime fails to boot.
Correct, I was building it on a PC.

I suspect the USB drive could be why the images I've tried to use fail. I've run into that before trying to write Linux images to USB for other projects such as Meteohub. That one did work on Meteohub, and I used it to flash an AppleTV so I ASSumed it was a "good" stick. I know, I should never assume!
From my experiences on Dockstar, even good USB sticks failed to boot on Dockstar some times. After successful boot, they normally don't have problem.

brg
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

USB sticks are waaaay cheap, yes indeedy, but wouldn't a lot of these problems go away by using a small USB drive?

Yes, it's a moving part. But, based on the many comments above, it almost seems less problematic and less prone to failure than a stick.

Yes, the Dockstar packaging would not as elegant (unless you got a Free Agent Go drive and plunked it in the dock where it is designed to go, but those can be pricey).

Yes, it uses more electricity, and yes it is more expensive (although I have scrounged and built smaller GB external 2.5 USB drives for less than $20).

But still, ?
yahoo2003
Mclean, VA

yahoo2003

I have used the word "USB drive" before but actually I meant USB sticks, I have not used USB HD for Dockstar. Ther are too many names for those USB sticks, e.g. "USB flash/pen/key drive" in the following:

»bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm

From now on, I'll use the term "USB stick".

UHF
MVM

UHF to brg

MVM

to brg
said by brg:

USB sticks are waaaay cheap, yes indeedy, but wouldn't a lot of these problems go away by using a small USB drive?
I've been thinking that too. I want to use my dockstar both to run some sort of freeswitch/asterisk (mainly just to fiddle with, not as anything serious) and as a NAS. So why not boot of the HD?

I actually have a spare WD USB drive sitting on the desk that I bought last year on Black Friday and never put into use.
yahoo2003
Mclean, VA

1 edit

yahoo2003 to UHF

to UHF
said by UHF:

Following the directions here: »wiki.openwrt.org/doc/howto/build

I get this when I run make:

make -r world: build failed. Please re-run make with V=99 to see what's going on
make: *** [world] Error 1

If anyone has any ideas I'm all ears. The OP provided a config file, maybe if I use that? But I don't know really know what to do with it.
I started following your link on Debian in VirtualBox by the following:

apt-get install build-essential asciidoc autoconf binutils bison bzip2 flex gawk gettext libncurses5-dev libz-dev patch unzip zlib1g-dev
apt-get install subversion
mkdir OpenWrt
cd OpenWrt
svn co svn://svn.openwrt.org/openwrt/branches/backfire
cd OpenWrt/backfire
svn up
./scripts/feeds update -a
./scripts/feeds install -a
make defconfig
make menuconfig
[Select Kirkwood]
make world

Builds started and still running for about 30 minutes with many modules generated.
It took long time to build toolchain/gcc

UHF
MVM

UHF

MVM

I'm not sure how long it ran, but it was awhile. I left for a couple hours and came back to find the error. I've been too busy to work on this anymore since then. What little free time I get seems to be in little five minute slices.
yahoo2003
Mclean, VA

yahoo2003

said by UHF:

I'm not sure how long it ran, but it was awhile. I left for a couple hours and came back to find the error. I've been too busy to work on this anymore since then. What little free time I get seems to be in little five minute slices.
I went to bed last night left Dell D820 running.
Build finished with uImage, packages and other files built in "kirkwood" folder. It must took much longer than Debian/Asterisk build on Dockstar due to tool chain must be built for cross compiling. I'm sure D820 laptop is much more powerful than Dockstar.

CCTVTech
Premium Member
join:2003-04-23
Phoenix, AZ

2 edits

1 recommendation

CCTVTech to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
»www.1saleaday.com/
It's back!
Seagate STDSA10G-RK FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter - $17.99
Twi
join:2010-07-14
USA

Twi

Thanks very much!
I do try to check 1saleaday everyday since their last DockStar deal but with my luck I would have still missed it.
I'm loving my DockStar, I must have more!

usa2k
Blessed
MVM
join:2003-01-26
Westland, MI

usa2k to CCTVTech

MVM

to CCTVTech
said by CCTVTech:

»www.1saleaday.com/
It's back!
Seagate STDSA10G-RK FreeAgent DockStar Network Adapter - $17.99
Very strange text on that offer:
Thankfully, I have the leeway to negotiate a good deal for myself. Not every free agent on the market can say the same. But then again, not every free agent boasts the qualities that I have. I can turn any external USB drive into an internet-connected storage device. But that’s not all. I provide access to your digital files from any computer on your home network – PC or Mac – and from anywhere in the world.

And there’s still more. I enable file sharing, giving you the capability to create private virtual space for sharing files with friends and family. Like I said, my qualities make me a star like no other. I can continue to list my attributes, but I think offers are coming in. $17.99 – that’s all I’m worth?! My ego diminishes market value? Oh, frack.
Otherwise, a great deal. I had bought a second one the last time. It took almost two weeks, but that is only time.

UHF
MVM

UHF to mazilo

MVM

to mazilo
Thanks! Ordered a second Dockstar.

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

. . . as did I. One to tinker with; one to maybe use for its intended purpose. $22.98 -- $2.01 cheaper than the last time.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
join:2002-05-30
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by brg:

. . . as did I. One to tinker with; one to maybe use for its intended purpose. $22.98 -- $2.01 cheaper than the last time.
Last time when Buy had this for $24.99, it was after two weeks 1SaleAday had it for $19.99. Perhaps, I won't be surprise to see if Buy will be offering a DockStar for $22.99 in two weeks.

brg
Premium Member
Chicago, IL

brg

Premium Member

said by mazilo:

said by brg:

Last time when Buy had this for $24.99, it was after two weeks 1SaleAday had it for $19.99. Perhaps, I won't be surprise to see if Buy will be offering a DockStar for $22.99 in two weeks.
. . . with free shipping, of course.

jjoshua
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Scotch Plains, NJ

1 edit

jjoshua to mazilo

Premium Member

to mazilo
Here's an alternative... I believe that it's a better device.

»www.buy.com/retail/produ ··· 816247&&

On sale for $45 shipped free.
Twi
join:2010-07-14
USA

1 edit

Twi

Twice the ram (half flash) but other specs identical. I'm sure there are uses that benefit from 256mb vs 128. Torrent box?
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101

Premium Member

I've been wanting to give this a shot, especially to see if I can't get googlevoice working on it. I checked 1saleaday today, and there it was for $17.99. Ordered 2 of them.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by Jet101:

I've been wanting to give this a shot, especially to see if I can't get googlevoice working on it.
If you can configure a DockStar to boot any 3-rd party OS, i.e. OpenWRT, Debian, Ubuntu, etc., with asterisk-1.6.x (or newer version) + Python + GV DialOut Python scripts file, you should have no problems to make GV works on your DockStar to support outbound call.
Jet101
Jet101
Premium Member
join:2009-10-01
Pflugerville, TX

Jet101

Premium Member

Yes, I was under that assumption from reading up over at the PlugPBX project. Looks like it can be done. With any luck, I'll be sending these out to family members with an ATA. I run pygooglevoice on my Asterisk box now, but I tend to only use it for longer calls, since all my outgoing trunks are pay as you go these days. I guess I'm lazy and dont' like dialing a 48 prefix and a 10 digit number. Guess I could use speed dial. I'm looking forward to playing around with the DockStar(s).
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

I have used Whistle Phone (WP) free calls with ads on my Asterisk PBX System. It still has a problem to receive incoming calls. Callers will be greeted with a nasty WP IVR message saying I am sorry but I can not complete your call. However, for free outgoing calls, WP is great. It only contains a few ads on the 1st three calls and the rest of the calls are free from ads until the next day.

Also, I allow my FreeSWITCH (FS) PBX System to host my roomate's WP account without any problem these days. At the time I configured the WP account on my FS, it too had a problem to receive incoming calls (even from my WP account - a WP2WP call). After rigorously testing the WP account (pounding with incoming calls and getting a warning e-mail from WP) from my WP account on my Asterisk PBX System, my roomate's WP account is now able to receive incoming calls with no problems.
gtcdma
join:2010-08-10

2 edits

gtcdma

said by mazilo:

It still has a problem to receive incoming calls. Callers will be greeted with a nasty WP IVR message saying I am sorry but I can not complete your call.
I tried to investigate this problem and I think I've found the reason.
WP currently has 4 proxy hosts:
proxy1.whistlephone.com 8.18.118.17
proxy2.whistlephone.com 63.209.141.29
proxy3.whistlephone.com 8.18.118.18
proxy4.whistlephone.com 63.209.137.131

proxy.whistlephone.com is dynamically resolved to one of above IP addresses, and client authenticates and registers with it.
After that, when incoming call arrives, SIP INVITE is sent randomly from any of 4 hosts. If it is different from the registration host, Freeswitch just ignores it. So sometimes calls get in, sometimes not.

The workaround is to create 4 gateway records having
proxy=proxyN.whistlephone.com (where N in 1..4)
fromdomain=proxy.whistlephone.com

However, with this setup Freeswitch becomes unstable and crashes sometimes for unknown reason. I believe WP's SIP server is kinda buggy.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by gtcdma:
said by mazilo:

It still has a problem to receive incoming calls. Callers will be greeted with a nasty WP IVR message saying I am sorry but I can not complete your call.
I tried to investigate this problem and I think I've found the reason.
WP currently has 4 proxy hosts:
proxy1.whistlephone.com 8.18.118.17
proxy2.whistlephone.com 63.209.141.29
proxy3.whistlephone.com 8.18.118.18
proxy4.whistlephone.com 63.209.137.131
I did a dig proxy.whistlephone.com on my Linux machine and it returned with the above IP Addresses assigned to proxy.whistlephone.com.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier, the WP account configured on my FS PBX System is working just fine to receive incoming calls. It is the WP account configured on my Asterisk PBX System that is giving a problem to receive incoming calls. These two PBX Systems are hosted on different systems connected behind my main NAT/Firewall router. I also notice if I keep pounding (dialing into) my WP account from other WP account, eventually the call will go through. Once I managed to make this works and left my Asterisk PBX System unattended without any further incoming calls to my WP account while other accounts on the same Asterisk PBX System still receive incoming calls, the WP account will cease to receive incoming calls. If I repeat the procedures again, then my WP account on my Asterisk PBX System will work again to receive incoming calls and so on.
gtcdma
join:2010-08-10

gtcdma

said by mazilo:

I did a dig proxy.whistlephone.com on my Linux machine and it returned with the above IP Addresses assigned to proxy.whistlephone.com.
Yes, this is a kind of load balancer for their 4 servers.
said by mazilo:

I also notice if I keep pounding (dialing into) my WP account from other WP account, eventually the call will go through.
It makes sense. If both your systems got the same IP from DNS and registered with it, then the call will be probably routed within that particular server and there is no "registered ip" VS "incoming invite ip" mismatch.
Anyway, the problem seems to be caused by incoming call SIP INVITE being sent from a different IP address than your client is registered with. FS & Asterix don't like that.
Try adding proxy1..4 clone gateways to asterisk config and see if it helps.
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by gtcdma:

Try adding proxy1..4 clone gateways to asterisk config and see if it helps.
I am just wondering if you have tried the above on an Asterisk PBX System to see if that will resolve the incoming call issue.

BTW, on both my Asterisk and FreeSWITCH PBX Systems, their log files only show proxy.whistlephone.com that corresponds to their respectively SIP settings.
rickbarnett
join:2005-09-24
Springfield, VA

1 edit

rickbarnett

Mazilo:

I am having a different problem using WP from Astx. When I try to make successive calls via WP trunk, I get a quick busy which shows as congestion in my astx log.
Seems to be an answer supervision problem on their side. If the remote end physically hangs up, I can immediately make a call w/o issue. If I hang up first, must wait for a few minutes before making another call.
Looks like you don't have that issue from FS.

BTW, the lack of ads is probably indicative they don't have more than 3 advertisers!!!

Ideas?
mazilo
From Mazilo
Premium Member
Lilburn, GA

mazilo

Premium Member

said by rickbarnett:

When I try to make successive calls via WP trunk, I get a quick busy.
Rick, usually a quick busy tone indicates an issue with dialplan. Make sure you have a correct dialplan to handle outbound calls through WP.
rickbarnett
join:2005-09-24
Springfield, VA

1 edit

rickbarnett

I am testing by just redialing same number. Works first time and if I have far side hang up first, I don't have a problem. If I hang up the call before far side, I have to wait a few minutes before the line will accept another call. What up wit dat?