Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Blockfire

Re: League of Legends

That's really what the ADC should be doing.... focusing heavily on the farm. Those kills are a toss-up. Considering all things equal, you may never get a kill or you could end up being killed. Your support may not be able to keep you fully alive, so that life steal is tremendously important.

I'm seeing a lot of people who are refusing to last hit anymore. They'll just auto their brains out, even when at full HP, focusing on pushing the lane. I'm not sure what the benefit of that is.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Xioden
Premium
join:2008-06-10
Monticello, NY
kudos:1
reply to f0rtys3ven
It's because life steal quints are better in most situations.

They scale way better into mid-late game. Early game, it's pretty much an even tradeoff. The numbers are so close in most cases, it's just not worth losing the life steal. Even against say Draven, He's going to hit for around +11 total from from those 3 AD quints. If we ignore the doran's +5, Life steal quints heal you for ~3.5 health. 3 auto attacks later you've evened out that damage difference.

If it's not Draven, with a couple exceptions where you screwed up regardless (Vayne tumble+condemning you into a wall) the life steal and AD quints are going to be pretty much even. Now if you start Doran's Blade and they don't, plus you have life steal quints? You'll easily come out ahead. That draven example above they're getting +11 from those 3 AD quints, you heal for ~8.5 in the trade, so they're ahead ~2.5 damage. Next auto attack, that advantage is gone completely, and you'll be healing the rest up quickly.

Going 2 life steal quints, 1 AD quint, the difference is even smaller (and will more quickly favor the life steal quint user).

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY
reply to Archivis
People see the pros do it. People unfortunately fail to understand why the pros do it.

The pros often lane swap so it's 2v1 and they push the crap out of the lane for a tower in 5-10 minutes. They are often actually having the support assist in damaging minions to speed the pushing process up. The pros are also still going to be maintaining 10+ cs per minute while doing this very hard pushing.

Everyone else doesn't swap, wants to push hard, misses most of the cs, then tries to fight the enemy ADC + Support + 8 minions. They then lose, blame the jungler, and rage quit and afk at the fountain.

The only time to really be auto attacking non-stop though (with target changes to last hit obviously), is if you're trying to push the lane to b/roam/take jungle creeps, or if there is a large wave pushing into your tower and you need to keep the enemy off it.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Archivis
10 games out of 11 won with Cait in ranked.

90.9% win rate OP.

Blockfire
Sarcasm is my native tongue

join:2010-02-11
Wichita, KS
your not Gold yet?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
Been playing ARAM or MWO lately. I only do solo queue when the wife is busy.

Sprakk

join:2009-10-01
reply to Xioden
There are other small exceptions to that list. For example, when I play certain mid champs (like AP Tristana, Anivia, Cassiopeia or others with strong level 2's) I often auto attack the first wave of minions non-stop, while getting harass onto the enemy champion. One wave + one more minion = level 2

Especially with AP Tristana or Cassiopeia, I can get First Blood as soon as I hit level 2 about 80% of the time.

The other good thing with this is that when I do get first blood, I push to the tower and the enemy laner misses out on three waves putting me at a level 3 to level 1 advantage.

Oh also as a side note... Moving to the Oceanic servers my ping has dropped from 200+ to 8-10 ping. It feels so damn weird. Feels like everything is in slow motion. Flashing things like Malphite ults seem way too easy.

cat666

join:2013-04-26
reply to Archivis
Hey guys, I've just started playing and still feel a bit of a noob and was wondering if you kind folks could answer a few questions?

1. Which character is best to learn with? I bought Annie as I like the fire/mage style but found her spell juggling a bit too much with all the other stuff going on. I've then played a few games as Akali which I enjoyed but I got called a noob and did die a lot so I guess she isn't for me either. I did look at Akali guides, but they seem to be for max level players, and I'm only level 5. I really want a spell caster which does fairly hefty damage which I don't really have to think too much about. Probably not 2 things which go well together I know.

2. I understand the masteries, but my glyph pages in the drop down box (I have 2 pages) seem to have nothing on them. What am I doing wrong?

3. I read about all the different styles of play, but which is best to get to grips with first. I've just been middle laning it.

4. Even the 3v3 mode against bots took me 40 mins. Is there anything to unlock which offers a 15-20min match? Sometimes I finish a game with only 30 mins until bed and therefore it isn't worth starting another.

Many thanks!

f0rtys3ven

join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI
Masteries are pretty self explanatory.
Mastery pages are free. Make as many as you want.

Defense and Utility is best I think until you have more points.

Runes
You don't have to buy these until after level 20. Then you need tier 3 runes which give the max stats. The other tiers are subpar. Rune pages / Runes are expensive and its a pain but its part of the process of learning.

Match Times
SR - Summoners Rift - 5v5 (25 - 65 min)
TT - Twisted Treeline - 3v3 (20 - 45 min)
DM - Dominion - 5v5 cap the point (15 - 25 min)
ARAM - All Random All Mid 5 v 5 (15 - 30 min)

Draft picks add 5 - 12 min.

Style is something you will find out about yourself as you play. Some people are aggressive others are passive. Eventually you will want to be able to sway into different styles depending on the situation but learning when to be aggressive and when to be passive is a learning process.

As someone new just focus on your enemy laner's position to your creep wave. If hes a bit off it and you are on the other side focus on getting last hits. 'S' makes you stop so you can hold your right click for the last bit of minion hp to guarantee gold. If the enemy is in the creep wave or on the side and close to you either move to a safer position to continue with the last hits or attempt to use a spell to tell the enemy to back off. If the enemy engages in a fight standing in the middle of the creep wave he will take more damage.

Don't go past your creep wave unless it is a KILL as in fact as in 100% sure that guy will die. Understanding of ones emotions is key here as lots of champs can escape even though you think they can't. Better to bet that you couldn't get a kill than to try to hard.

After laning its going to be a crap shot for a good 20 more levels. Learn what each champ does and how dangerous they are. Learn who can catch you in a chase and what moves you can use to create space or close space. Learn how to ward. Learn to ward ledges that are vision issues. Learn to ward bushes leading to your lane so you don't get surprised. Learn about red/blue buff and which champs are good with each. Auto attackers get red mana heavy champs get blue. Dragon and baron will be ignored or not played right for again a long time so don't worry about them unless you win a fight in front of them.

Good champs are all about feel.
Some champs are easier. Annie is pretty self explanatory plus you get a nice last hit spell in Q. Ryze is really nice for beginners. Taric is really easy. Warwick is a really nice jungler to start with. Cait is the best ADC to learn with. Chogath is a really nice tank to learn. Blitzcrank is mandatory.

Akali is an assassin. This comes with a completely different mindset. One thats hard for beginners because they don't understand how it works. Assassins farm enough gold to start a snowball and then can kill squishies really fast but getting that starting gold is really challenging at times. My advice is to shy away from them at least until you know the items and who is tanky and not tanky. Anyone that is labled as an Assassin is in that boat for the most part.

If you want to learn a Assassin because its everything you are than I advise Kassassidin because its the easiest to pull off.
--
I eat rappers with the rhyme. Consume 'em. The only fucking thing you consume is time. I'm superhuman.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to cat666
Use your masteries as soon as you level, leave the tune pages alone until you reach level 30 so you can buy tier 3 runes.
--
When on dangerous ground maneuver, when on deadly ground fight.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Also make sure check the site FAQ as there is a lot of information, most of it still accurate:

»League of Legends
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to Jobbie
Level 20 for Tier 3 runes.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
said by f0rtys3ven:

Level 20 for Tier 3 runes.

Well true, what I tried to say is that is better to save up until level 30 to buy your tier 3 runes because they are really expensive.
--

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
I think I had enough to buy some quints at 20ish.

The issues is that the currency is used to buy champs and runes so you get torn on what is important. Runes are important but having some champs to play is as well.
--
I eat rappers with the rhyme. Consume 'em. The only fucking thing you consume is time. I'm superhuman.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
Exactly, the good thing is that there are a lot of cheap champs for each role (450 IP?), what I did when I started is to buy the starter champ bundle. It was like 20 something champs couple skins and some runes.
--

cat666

reply to Archivis
Thanks for the help, some really interesting reading!

I think I will put Akali on the back burner and try someone new.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
New players generally do very well with AD carries. Look at Ashe, Caitlyn, etc.

Ranged, attack damage.

Xioden
Premium
Monticello, NY
reply to Jobbie
Worth noting, IP cost has absolutely no bearing on how good or effective a champion is.

Make sure to get your free Tristana and Alistar as well:

- Alistar: »na.leagueoflegends.com/news/subs···-alistar
- Tristana: Like Riot games on facebook then go to »na.leagueoflegends.com/facebook

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
You are totally right, I never tried to say otherwise.

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
Reviews:
·AT&T DSL Service

1 recommendation

reply to Archivis
Click for full size
first ranked pentakill, woot

Blockfire

Wichita, KS
reply to Sprakk
you leveling a smurf on NA servers?

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Blockfire
Very nice.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
Mexico
reply to Blockfire
F.. ranked.

I suck at this game.

Sprakk

join:2009-10-01
reply to Blockfire
I have two smurfs at the moment. Might just leave one on NA.
But I don't have too much time to play these days.
And with what little time I do have to squander on video games, single digit latency is just too tempting.

cat666

reply to Archivis
Bought Sivir last night, got on a little better with her but I was OOM almost all the time. I worked out you had to use her E to block an attack to get some back, but this rarely seemed to work as as soon as I hit E the bots we were playing against just didn't attack me.

Might try one of the freebies tonight as I don't want to waste all my points.

Noiche
Premium
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP
I miss early Season 1 Sivir. She was a god back then, with her weapon always bouncing 5 targets when you had the toggle turned on. You could stack a ton of power and use her ult to Penta-kill the enemy team easily if they didn't CC you.

f0rtys3ven

Lansing, MI
reply to cat666
The mp/5 in the utility tree will help a little bit.

Sivir and corki are the most mana hungry ADCs.

Try to limit the Boomerang throws till when you know it will land.
--

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
Earth
reply to Noiche
said by Noiche:

I miss early Season 1 Sivir. She was a god back then, with her weapon always bouncing 5 targets when you had the toggle turned on. You could stack a ton of power and use her ult to Penta-kill the enemy team easily if they didn't CC you.

Oh man, if Season 1 Sivir still existed with today's gear (Hurricane?), she would murder teams like you wouldn't believe?

Season 1 Sivir could let you just focus the tank or the easiest target and watch the team melt.

I like Sivir a lot. She's probably my #2 AD carry behind Cait. She's actually a very good counter to Cait as well, but Cait counters everyone else.

The only thing I don't like with Sivir is her attack animation speed. It makes it difficult to land last hits when her attacks land so slowly.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Noiche
Premium
join:2013-06-17
Apo, AP
Very true. After Season 1 ended, I pretty much left ADCs alone. I mastered the support role and several tank characters and just play that 99% of the time now. I'm a great Soraka and Taric support player, and can pull off a great support/tank with Taric given a few assists. I've also got a strong tank Garen and Nasus build, but Nasus is hard anymore cause he gets focused so hard anymore when soloing top lane.

Does anyone play on the EU servers? Since I'm deployed at the moment, I may make a smurf on there to enjoy some much lower latency playing when my internet is having a good day. Otherwise, 4 months and I'll be back to support your needs in lane!

cat666

said by Noiche:

Does anyone play on the EU servers? Since I'm deployed at the moment, I may make a smurf on there to enjoy some much lower latency playing when my internet is having a good day. Otherwise, 4 months and I'll be back to support your needs in lane!

Yes I do. I'm not very good though! "catsabbath" on there if you want to do anything, I'm very low levelled though, so understand if you don't!