how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kpw

join:2010-06-21
Hunlock Creek, PA

Frontier dsl problem

Our office has Frontier dsl and has been having internet connection problems for about 4 months. Frontier has had techs visit our site only to tell us the problem is internal. We have changed out all the network equipment so all is new. Frontier has even given us a separate dsl line but we still cannot fix this issue. We tried putting the mail on a separate dsl and using the other for internet traffic only but no luck. When I run a speed test, it shows the speed is flying but the web cannot display the page properly while the test is running? I am ready to change providers to Comcast but am hoping to find a solution before I drop them. Anyone hear of anything similar with Frontier or a solution maybe??

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
kudos:23
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits

Need some additional information first to see what is going on.

What equipment is currently being used (mainly, what routing equipment on your end and what modem did Frontier hand you)?

Can you show me a screen shot of the "Page Cannot be Displayed" message you get when running a speed test? Does this always occur whenever the line is loaded?

Can you also provide me a ping test to a server while a speed test is running? Open up command prompt, type in tracert www.dslreports.com and find the first hop that does not belong to your network, and then type in the following into command prompt: ping hop.ip.address.here -t .

What speed is your line rated for?

Otherwise I have not heard of such a thing occurring, but we're going to see if we can find what the problem is.

kpw

Hunlock Creek, PA
reply to kpw

Frontier equipment is a Gigaset SE 567 (we have 2, 1 for each dsl) Last time the tech was here he left a Gigaset SX762 wlan dsl. I have not tried that one yet, I will need to re-route our mail server first. I don't have high hopes for another router solving the problem if the 2 we have will not work. Our line is 1 gig. I'm working on the ping tests.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

3 edits

Can you log into both of the SE567s at »192.168.254.254 and then visit Gateway Health, then Statistics, then DSL? I would like to see those stats for both of the DSL lines. Copy and Paste or Screen shot will work.

Keep in mind, the -t indicates "infinitely ping" so press Ctrl + C when you want to stop it. I forgot to mention that

kpw

Hunlock Creek, PA

I have a meeting to go to, I appreciate your help. Will check in later. Thanks!

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY

No problem. I'll be around

kpw

Hunlock Creek, PA

downloadGigaset rout···.doc.zip 13,436,781 bytes
router statistics
Attached are the statistics. If you need more than attached let me know.

Smith6612
Premium,MVM
North Tonawanda, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Frontier Communi..

2 edits

All of the statistics shown are very good. The line should handle 6+Mbps speeds with no issue.

Is your Incoming Internet connection supposed to be 1Mbps? DSL Can't go Gigabit speeds unless you were talking about your Internal network speed. If you can get the speed Frontier is quoting your location for, that would be what I'm looking for. Also, can you mention if the connection is PPPoE or PPPoA?

Did you ever get a chance to run the ping command I told you about above during a speed test? If you can get me a before, during, and after result of this ping test when you load the line down, that would be good. What may also work is an NDT speed test such as »web100.rit.edu:7123/